cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to get specific data logs

Gene_Parmesan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an iPhone 11 and I'm on the $15/m plan with 250MB of data. Over the past few months, my phone occasionally uses a large amount of cellular data that is categorized under "System Services → Documents & Sync". Recently my phone used up my entire monthly data allowance in 1 day from this service.

I want a way to get more specific information on what app or service is using so much data which is assigned to "Documents & Sync". Is this data logged anywhere on my phone? Am I able to get more specific data from Public Mobile if I ask them for logs of cell data request during a specific time period? Is there an app that can log/snitch cellular data requests?

Please note; I have already done all the normal things to limit cellular data usage. I've set my connection to low data mode, I've turned of WiFi assist, I've set background app refresh to Wifi only, I've turned off cellular data for many apps including social media apps and video apps like YouTube. Cellular data for iCloud Drive is off.

7 REPLIES 7

Self-Serve usage summaries are the best breakdown any of us outside Public Mobile will ever get without a court order, lol.

If you want finer details then you'll have to log them with software installed on the device itself.

And you may never be able to fully audit or control hidden telemetry, forced syncs/updates, or other embedded data usages without rooting/jailbreaking the device. As usual these days.

1. You can do a range of dates search of usage in My Account and you can select on the top bar what usage that you want grouped sequentially. 

2. Good on you for minimizing data use on iPhone. I do believe in settings, data that you can find usage by app. That is if you do a reset every month....which I fail to do. 

3. Have data off all the time and only turn on to use and back off. I have only gone over once, understandably, on vacation....but otherwise never over 100mb. 

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Gene_Parmesan I also have an iPhone 11 and I'm looking at my Settings/Cellular/Cellular data.  Current period (Mar 1 to today, so 10 days) I've used 2.9GB data and of that 1.3GB data is used by "System Services".  I'm on wifi and haven't left my house!  So where is the data being used?  On my phone, most is from Safari, FaceTime and App Store, in that order.  Those 3 account for 1.1GB of the 1.3 "System Services" used so far.  So look at the particular apps/systems that use lots of data and turn the data off on those, see if that helps conserve.  Of course, you can also turn off your cellular data under Settings and rely on Wifi when you are at home and in Wifi range.  You just have to remember to turn on Cellular Data when you go out.  Also, look at @gpixel reply to you, has good suggestions on how to conserve data on the phone. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Gene_Parmesan follow these instructions please

Disable apps auto update
iTunes & App Stores > Turn Off Use Cellular / Mobile Data

Disable background data
Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Turn it Off entirely or by selective Apps

Disable iCloud sync
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > Turn Off iCloud Drive

Disable Wifi Assist
Go to Settings > Cellular / Mobile Data > scroll to bottom > Wi-Fi Assist > turn OFF

Disable data on certain apps
Go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll through and disable applications you don't want to used your Cellular Data

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Gene_Parmesan 

Other than looking at your usage history to determine how much data is consumed daily, public mobile would unlikely supply real-time records of data use.

Would likely need to search out an app which might provide that level of detail for you. 

Oracle365
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Here is a thread I found on Apple's website. Hopefully it will help you with the data problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8506298

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gene_Parmesan : I would very much doubt Public Mobile would log such details. They're just providing you a conduit to the internet. What you do with it is your business (well...within the T&C's) I would ask Apple. I'm sure someone here would have better ideas. I'm not an Apple guy.

Need Help? Let's chat.