cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyed by rewards texts in the middle of the night?

Ergophile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I hate these texts. I've submitted a ticket every month since I started with Public Mobile to ask them to fix it. 

If you're also annoyed, please submit a ticket. We need a critical mass of tickets for them to take notice. 

18 REPLIES 18

Ergophile

This is the "rewards" text. All the others come at reasonable hours. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Not all of us want "Alert Ready" (SMS-CB) notifications enabled, lol. But I can understand why many people would consider it important that these emergency notifications remain functional. It would be like blocking 911, something most people would consider unthinkable.

I wouldn't advise blocking any Public Mobile numbers. Just clump them all together into a single contact - and keep adding each strange new Public Mobile number which comes in - then disable all noise/vibration/flashing notification modes for that contact.

If you've blocked out a number Public Mobile uses to convey something you would actually consider important (like, say, another one of their free gifts) then you won't be able to read, repeat, recover, or respond to it.

You can't do anything to change Public Mobile. They've become too busy, aloof, lazy, disinterested.

You can change your phone software settings. Your phone software. Your phone itself.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hTideGnow wrote:

@BEER wrote:

Suggest you turn off your phone when you sleep - then problem is fixed!

HI @BEER   to be fair, many people leave it on just in case of different kind of emergency call.    

Also, the provincial wide alert.  if there is any important life threating alert, you needs to be waken up to run.  (yes, that does not happen a lot, but it could be fatal if you miss just one)

That's the 1 in million change I'm willing to take for a good nights sleep. HOWEVER just noticed that the poster is on call so that can be a problem.

@BEER wrote:

HI @BEER   to be fair, many people leave it on just in case of different kind of emergency call.    

Also, the provincial wide alert.  if there is any important life threating alert, you needs to be waken up to run.  (yes, that does not happen a lot, but it could be fatal if you miss just one)

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

PM payment texts are between 9am and 9pm in BC. I assume is same for every province?

But recently an advertising one was sent just after 8am....and was NOT welcomed. 

If the junk ones become annoying I will figure out how to block. 

Here is another opportunity for PM to set this up in your My Account “Profile” along with the correct date stamp in your call history. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I probably wouldn't hold my breath on them changing this anytime soon if at all unfortunately 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Renewal SMS comes from 611. Add 611 to your address book and assign 'silence' as notification tone. Do not block 611 as SMS from it might be important.

Yes, it is inconvenient particularly if you have to be on-call 24/7.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Whether these texts come in the middle of the night, or the middle of the day, I feel they should all be silenced regardless on a device level, IMO. It is very easy to do, and you can set it and forgot it.

@Ergophile @NDesai 

esjliv_0-1659269638437.png

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Ergophile We reported this issue over a year ago I believe and clearly explained to them that someone got PM and AM mixed up on renewal text timings. But they still haven't fixed it yet and I got no clue why they can't since it seems to be a pretty straightforward fix with time adjustments. I will use this thread as an example to ask them for an update on this. 

@Ergophile 

Since you are on call and people calling in that is not on your contacts.

It would be a little difficult to silent the PM texts.

Does would also be a problem for people on call working graveyard shifts.

@Ergophile , 

To mute notifications on iPhone
In the Messages list, touch and hold the  conversation.

Tap Hide Alerts.

Lux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For Android,

Go to your text message with them, tap the 3 dots at the top, then go to Notification Sound, and select Silent.

I would assume IOS has something similar.

Some dialing/texting apps provide user options for scheduling, silencing notifications during certain hours, etc. Some of these also let you specify schedules and notification modes for specific contacts (or for groups of contacts). Even if the dialing/texting software built into your phone doesn't offer these functions.

I created a contact for Public Mobile, and I add every incoming notification from every new number Public Mobile uses to it . I configured my app (Signal SMS) to never made any sounds or vibrations when Public Mobile sends me something. I don't need to be aware of those messages until the next time I look at my phone anyhow.

My phone does (briefly) light up to display incoming stuff late at night but that's not an issue when I keep it face-down. (Although that does force me to use a real alarm clock since the speaker is also on the front, lol.)

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Ergophile 

there a optin to turn off the sound ring for that SMS. which device you use.

@Ergophile 

Yes, I hear you. I have the same problem so I set it on DND.

This will be a request for CA_Agent to answer and look into a possibility of doing. If you don’t ask…they think it is OK.

Ergophile

I need to be on call and it's not always the same number calling me. I have to have my phone on and if it dings I have to wake up and read the text. 

Other than that though, I shouldn't need a workaround to stop a company I pay for a service from waking me up in the middle of the night with a text that I don't need at all, let alone in the middle of the night. Why is this not a problem they can fix?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ergophile 

You can set your phone on Do Not Disturb for the time you are sleeping. Only people in your contact will be able to call you and get through but not people or companies not in your contacts.

Need Help? Let's chat.