cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex still not working for autopay?

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Looking through similar issues in this forum, I see that using Amex for autopay has been a problem in the past but was supposed to have been fixed. However, I made several attempts to set up mine yesterday and they all failed, (the box appeared to accept the 4 digit verification number instead of the 3 for other cards, but still failed). Nothing wrong with the card as I had used it just before for another online payment.

I finally gave in and set up with my Visa instead, but I consider that a temporary workaround, not a solution!

Has anyone else been able to get Amex registered lately?

19 REPLIES 19

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's terrible. I'd use my Amex and buy vouchers. I'd be pissed if I couldn't use my credit card 💳 of my choice. It's all about the cashback 🤑

ksylvest
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey! I'm getting the same error when I try to set up my Amex after the initial setup. I've been on PM for about a year and every pay cycle I try to add my Amex but no dice 

iamnopreacher
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, thanks.

Rockdaddy22
Did they solve your issue or not?

iamnopreacher

Now, this method doesnt work too. I tried updating my AMEX card info and it failed. I had to contact support to get them to update it. I am surprised that till date this issue has not been fixed. Guess making money is a lot more important that solving customers' issues.

russellculver91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just tried (2017!) still could not 'register' with AMEX, but was able to add it as an auto-pay method for my first renewal. I guess we'll see if it works.

Rockdaddy22
Are pharmacies one of your categories with tangerine? If so I'd just buy vouchers at Shoppers Drug Mart, you still get autopay if you have a card registered in self serve.

Eug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I could not activate with Amex but registering with Amex for Autopay after activation worked fine. Hopefully the first autopayment works, but I won't know about that until February.

It's too bad that Public Mobile doesn't show up as a recurring payment with the Tangerine MasterCard. Otherwise I'd just use Tangerine.

Rockdaddy22
You don't pay tax on gift cards

tingtingting09
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Will I be taxed twice? Taxed when buying the Canadian Tire Giftcard (pay tax), then using the giftcard to buy the Public Mobile voucher pay tax again?

Rockdaddy22
Yes But you must have a credit card on file I believe, and autopay turned on of course.
Starting on the 25th Rexall will be selling CanadianTire gift cards for %10 off. Use those gift cards to buy vouchers at CanadianTire gas bar 🤑

tingtingting09
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Rockdaddy22,

Are you able to get Autopay discount even though you filled up your Available Funds with vouchers?

I have enough money in my Available Funds to last more than 6 months (I'm on the 90 day plan), so will I get the $2 / month Autopay discount still if I have enabled Autopay? My renewals will not autopaying from my credit card, only from my Available Funds. Thanks!

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I think I'll be buying vouchers from now on, considering you still get autopay. Plus I get gods credit card points buying them from Shoppers Drug Mart.

Rockdaddy22
I think I'll be buying vouchers from now on, considering you still get autopay. Plus I get gods credit card points buying them from Shoppers Drug Mart.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @McLaren,

If it's any consolation, your Amex card wasn't the problem. There is a long-standing difficulty in registering that issuer's cards, even though they're supposedly accepted by PM.

For whatever reason, VISA and MasterCard are easily registered. Go figure!

Cheers.

McLaren

Gave up trying to use amex to register. Used a visa and now it works

McLaren

Is this still an issue?  Getting server time out after trying to create a new account yesterday.  Was trying to use a Amex card. 

JaK

@Jeremy_M

Yes, as per my original post I got an error when trying to use Amex for my initial autopay setup. I tried several times, using both the normal 4 digit Amex conf code on thefront amd the 3 digit extension on the back (as IIRC the form help only mentions back), always rejected. 

I had thought of trying what @iamnopreacher suggested, but wasn't in a hurry as I had a lot of time until next pay period 🙂 Anyway, I did try it and was successful (thanks @iamnopreacher, Bravo!).

So, I'm marking this solved as it is no longer an issue for me, but there appears to still be a problem on use of Amex for initial setup that other new users can run into.

Also, suggest that the CVV2 help on the credit card payment form be updated to reflect using the 4 digit code on the front of the card when using Amex.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@JaK

Thank you for chiming in on this! I'm surprised to hear that your Amex card was not working. Did you receive an error message when trying to pay with it?

Also please follow @iamnopreacher example below with Self Serve and let me know if that works or not.

Cheers!

iamnopreacher

Yes, there is an issue with paying with AMEX when setting up, but once you are activated, you can log into Self Serve and replace the Visa card you used with the AMEX card and that works just fine. So, going forward, for AutoPay, it will use the AMEX card. I had to do it that way and it works fine. I do hope PM will resolve that initial issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.