cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx cardholders: $10 credit for 3 x $30+ spending on Public Mobile

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

American Express has a promo, which Public Mobile customers can take advantage of.  Only AmEx cards issued by American Express Bank are eligible (i.e. not Scotiabank issued AmEx, etc.).

If your plan is $30+ every 30 days (after awards and taxes), you can just let AutoPay occur for 3 cycles (last cycle must occur before 2020/03/31to satisfy the promo requirements for a $10 AmEx statement credit.  Otherwise (e.g. if you're on a $10, $15, or $25 plan, or you have multiple rewards that bring your bill to under $30/30 days), you can accelerate the process by doing 3 manual top-ups (on the same account, or spread across different accounts using the same card) of at least $30 after taxes.

Follow these steps:

• Register your AmEx card from your online account or the AmEx app (if the offer appears under "My Offers" or "Amex Offers").  If you don't see the offer in your account, you can still register online using this link.
  • Click on the "Make a Payment" button, and add (or replace your existing CC with) your AmEx card using the "Manage Credit Card" link that's there.

That's it... wait 3 billing cycles, and you should receive your $10 credit after the last one posts. Or, if you don't want to wait and would prefer to accelerate things (and are willing to spend ~$90+ now):

• Complete the steps above.
  • Under Payment, select "One Time Payment".
  • Ensure the shown credit card corresponds to your AmEx.
  • For Payment Type, select Other (Enter the desired payment amount), then enter the amount you want for top-up.  For example, in AB, I chose $29 because $29+5% GST = $30.45.  If you have 13% HST, you might want $27 so that your total is $30.51.  The system will calculate your applicable taxes and display the total to be charged.
  • Click "Submit", and funds will be added to your account.
  • Repeat from the same account, if you wish, or if you manage more PM accounts, you may want to top those up in the same manner.
  • As a last step (optional), I replaced the AmEx with my original CC, and did a $1.00 top-up, just to make sure my original CC will successfully be used when available funds are depleted and AutoPay kicks in again.

Note that you don't forfeit the $2/30d AutoPay rewards as long as a credit card is registered, even if you have adequate funds in your account.

Please find/read the promo details in the fine-print at the bottom of the sign-up page, and the full disclcosure and terms of the AmEx promos here.  First 50,000 AmEx cards to register are eligible to participate.

5 REPLIES 5

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have a Koodo $120 tab to be paid.

I am going to pay $40 everyday for 3 days and get it over with.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector wrote:

I already have my Amex card registered for Autopay for my phone and my wife's. So to be sure I am looking at this correctly, only one $10 credit for us as both are on the same card. Not sure if each of our cards have different numbers and we could switch one phone to the other card but both cards are same Amex accountbultimately.

The end game is to have $30+ (including taxes) charged to the card from Public Mobile 3 times. They can be 3 consecutive top-ups of $30+ all on the same Amex statement. Currently we are both on the $15 plan and mine is free with rewards so we will have to work at it a little bit!

Are there start/end dates associated with this and it is one time only per Amex card account?

Supplementary cards are often excluded from promos, so to be safe, you may want to ensure you use the primary.  Some folks on RFD speculate you can possibly double-dip by also registering the supplementary card using the online link I mentioned, but YMMV.

So, having 3 x $30+ on the same AmEx statement may not be sufficient... better to use the same card number to be sure.

Promo started on November 20, and all 3 transacations must be made before March 31 (and posted before April 14).  In a nutshell, this is what I received from AmEx in an email:

Make three (3) separate payments of at least $30 each (after taxes and applicable fees) between November 20th, 2019 and March 31th, 2020 using your Registered Card as the payment method.

Here are answers to some of my questions:

4925C292-8EF7-4238-B7A2-EB4AA0626A71.png

@CalgaryBen Thanks for sharing this. The best part of this is how existing Public Mobile customers who use Amex can take advantage of this, and snce this is a credit card satement credit, it can also be used in combination with any new customer promotion that someone is eligible for at Public Mobile.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Thanks @CalgaryBen 

I already have my Amex card registered for Autopay for my phone and my wife's. So to be sure I am looking at this correctly, only one $10 credit for us as both are on the same card. Not sure if each of our cards have different numbers and we could switch one phone to the other card but both cards are same Amex accountbultimately.

The end game is to have $30+ (including taxes) charged to the card from Public Mobile 3 times. They can be 3 consecutive top-ups of $30+ all on the same Amex statement. Currently we are both on the $15 plan and mine is free with rewards so we will have to work at it a little bit!

Are there start/end dates associated with this and it is one time only per Amex card account?

Thanks for your research and reporting!

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.