cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Data Out of Province

allenn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I'd like to purchase a data add-on for Jan 10-11 for use in Vancouver (I'm originally located in Ontario), and a US Roaming data add-on for Jan 12-15.

Would I purchase these online right before leaving? I'm not sure how long it needs to become in effect.

14 REPLIES 14

lostinspace: If you are using the LTE for large downloads or watching HD videos or that with hotspoting then you might want to keep the full speed LTE. But if you're just browsing sites and doing email then the 3Mbps speed is generally thought to be fine. It's not really noticeable.

The $5 Canada-wide add-on would work very well to accompany your province-wide plan.

@lostinspace   NO, new plan have slower speed on the LTE network.  Current plan speed is capped at 3Mpbs while old LTE Plan has full LTE speed.  So, if you need the speed, do not change plan

So, your old plan is on provincial talk only?  Leave it if you want the LTE speed

Use VoIP app to make free calls then.  Fongo and TextNow are both good choice for free calls.  TextNow is better for getting free outgoing text as well

lostinspace
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

But the plan I have has LTE data, No newer plans offer LTE data.. is 3G data same as LTE data? I am not sure about speed..I have 90 days LTD provincewide talk unltd. text plan..Price is also different, as PM done away with 90 days plans long ago..So, if I change the plan now, I willl be paying for more for downgrade of DATA..from LTE to 3G..

correct me if I am wrong.

allenn

Ended up working fine! Safe travels!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Looking at this old thread, is Dunkgirl and Dunkman related???  LoL

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@allenn wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to purchase a data add-on for Jan 10-11 for use in Vancouver (I'm originally located in Ontario), and a US Roaming data add-on for Jan 12-15.

Would I purchase these online right before leaving? I'm not sure how long it needs to become in effect.

As mentioned.....consider changing to a Canada Wide calling plan at same price. You have 3 options. 

Change to Canada Wide plan now....will cost you extra as you will lose $ on last portion of 30 days that you prepaid. 

Change to Canada Wide plan at renewal. 

Buy $5 500 minutes Canada Wide calling

HI @lostinspace Data is Canada wide.

for talk plan.  If you have the Provincial talk plan, you can do a change plan and Change it to the current Canada-Wide Calling plan.  Same price.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@lostinspace No roaming in Canada. It's a nationwide provider. Data will work everywhere in Canada. SMS texts will work inbound and outbound anywhere in Canada. Calls will work inbound anywhere in Canada. Calls out will be limited to the province you're physically in. Otherwise you would need an add-on to call outside the province you're in.

lostinspace
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Had the publicmobile addon ended up working in Vancouver, CANADA? I am in similar shoes.. I have provincewide talk and text based in Ontario, CANADA. So obviously you need add on to work while roaming anywhere out of province but the after buying addon, will you be able to use it while roaming in other provinces of CANADA?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@allenn, All roaming add-ons start immediately, and are for 10 calendar days, based on Eastern time.  Therefore, if you buy it at 10pm(Eastern) on the 8th of the month, it expires at 0:00AM on the 18th.  Basically, the first day (the 8th) is counted as a full day.

As for network, I think there are 2 partners AT&T & T-Mobile.

@allenn wrote:

Would the US Roaming add-on take effect immediately after purchase?

@allennYes. Immediatly

@allenn wrote:

Would it matter which US network I connect to? I don't think the add-on specifies.

@allennAT&T or T-Mobile, it may auto switch, but try both.

allenn

Thanks for the repsonse!

Would the US Roaming add-on take effect immediately after purchase?

Would it matter which US network I connect to? I don't think the add-on specifies.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@allenn, if you’re going to Vancouver BC, no roaming is required.

If you’re going to Vancouver Washington, you will need the US roaming offers.

it is unclear to me which Vancouver you are asking about.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@allenn wrote:

Hi all,

@allennYour current data plan works anywhere in Canada. IF you need more just buy it anytime as it never expires, is good forever till used up. If you don't currently have any data, make sure to connect to wifi and run updates before buying a data plan as your phone may do updates and use the entire add-on without your knowledge. Do not run speed test it could use your entire add-on in 10 seconds.

All U.S. roaming packages are good for 10 days so buy it before you leave if you only need it for 3 days to make sure you purchase it properly like buy it Jan 9th and to enable roaming features on your phone then when you get to US connect to t-mobile or at&t network

Need Help? Let's chat.