cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of New Sim Card

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi there, 

I am just trying to activate a new Public Mobile sim card. When trying to unlock the phone after inserting the new sim card it asks for a unlock PIN number. My prevous provider provided me with these pins but I think I inserted these too many times incorrectly and now the new sim is blocked. Could someone help me with unblocking this new sim? 

This issue is exactly the following; 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/SIM-network-unlock-PIN/m-p/158076#M12...

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi there, 

Thanks much for the answer. I have PMed the moderators. Will post how this goes. 

In the meantime I think I need to provide some more details for clarification. The phone is a Motorola Moto G (Android) phone. And it is not definitely carrier locked I think; because the carrier verified it's not locked at their end. 

I think the mistake I made was that I tried entering the phone within the first two hours when I opened the Public Mobile account; although I later realized the activation email says that it might take 2 hours to activate the new account. This might have caused the SIM lock. 

Thank you. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Cheetah24

If the phone is carrier-locked then you need to contact the original carrier to get it unlocked.  One or more lock codes (NCK, SPCK, NSCK, SIMCK, CCK, etc) will need to be entered, and if it's an iPhone then these codes are actually entered into the device through iTunes sync with an (Apple) IMEI registry.

If you've entered an incorrect PIN/code too many times then the SIM card itself may have locked out access.  This is meant to prevent attempting brute-force attacks, and it's meant to preempt the device from permanently locking/bricking itself as a prevention for brute-force attacks - since a SIM card is much easier and cheaper to replace than a premium smartphone.  If your SIM card itself is locked (because you guessed incorrect codes too many times) then you need to contact the Mods to obtain the PUK code which will unlock it.  As fully explained in the thread you linked.

Need Help? Let's chat.