cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Graham

I have also received this text message from PM, as did my wife. We have both remained active subscribers since signing up for the promo, so we shouldn't be getting a price increase as per the promise. This is base business. I will be submitting a complaint to the CRTC.

Added later:

Hello Public Mobile,

I'd like to start a conversation about the notice that was sent to me re: $30 increase for 3 month for Unlimited Ontario wide calling, unlimited international texting, 12GB data plan. My plan was just renewed for another 3 months and the proposed Koodo promotional plan is only valid until March 15th. Can you keep your promise andcontinue the $120 plan for 90 days which you promised that it will remain the same long as we don't switch plans. Alternatively, would you extend the Koodo promotional plan until the end of my pre-paid period, cancel credit check, and respect the auto-pay savings and loyalty savings? 

Thanks

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@kav2001cwrote:

@ Everyone on the boards

Seriously why are you all starting your own topics? We have more than enough threads to whine about price increases

They need to have official evidence that they tried to file a complaint with Public, before CCTS will accept the complaint. They really should do PMing instead of opening new threads.

Then we will have like 10,000 new threads as many joined during the promo.

CricketNB
Re: $40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

@Moderator_Team

I originally signed up for Public Mobile service on a 90-day 12gb unlimited province-wide calling and unlimited nationwide texting.

This plan was advertised with the following language:

• If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

No caveats were added. No footnotes or references to terms and conditions were provided.

On February 15th 2018, I recieved a text message from Public Mobile stating that the company would be breaking this agreement.

I do not agree to this change. I have already filed a formal complaint to the CCTS. 

joshN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

after bragging to everyone how great it was to have this service, You have become part of the

machine

Smiley Sad

bishi

@Moderator_Team

In November 2016 I signed up for Public Mobile service on a 90-day 12gb unlimited province-wide calling and unlimited nationwide texting.

• If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

No caveats were added. No footnotes or references to terms and conditions were provided.

On February 15th 2018, I recieved a text message from Public Mobile stating that the company would be breaking this agreement.

I do not agree to this change. Please rectify this issue immediately or I will be required to proceed with a formal complaint to the CCTS. 

THIS is the promotion that you ran on YOUR website at the time:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

ToniCipriani
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001cwrote:

@ Everyone on the boards

Seriously why are you all starting your own topics? We have more than enough threads to whine about price increases

They need to have official evidence that they tried to file a complaint with Public, before CCTS will accept the complaint. They really should do PMing instead of opening new threads.

tom3204

Dear Public Mobile, is it true that you said this?

"As long as you are an active customer on this plan, your price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises".

The competition bureau prefers we work it out on our own.

Poepoies

@Moderator_Team

In November 2016 I signed up for Public Mobile service on a 90-day 12gb unlimited province-wide calling and unlimited nationwide texting.

I do not agree to this change. Please rectify this issue immediately or I will be required to proceed with a formal complaint to the CCTS. 

THIS is the promotion that you ran on YOUR website at the time:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

DmcDohko

Wow did my post just get deleted? ... unreal...

bryclops
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have a read of this post by @stonechucker addressing these concerns of a price hike in the future in 2016.  A mod on the same page confirms that no such thing will happen.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

kevinl

@Moderator_Team

danishh

@CS_Agent

@ Everyone on the boards

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It's barely "the same price" when PM seems to include the auto pay discount in most advertisements, but not this.

allycia416

@Fulgore  Thank you, I corrected my postSmiley Embarassed

hopetindall

if I do end up having to go somewhere with our 3 lines.

I'll tell you it won't be a TELUS owned provider!

Watoko

@kav2001cwrote:

@Watoko yeah this was really shady

No posts on message boards

Increase sent after people renews

@Watokowrote:

I'm surprised there's still no official announcement from the Public Mobile team despite all this backlash and uproar. I'm waiting PM....

Here I am having just come back from writing a 2 hour exam, and still the mess I left for. Guess they decided to not care for us this time around. I really can't believe that they're remaining silent. This is literally a nightmare for any business that has even a slight interest in people's wallets...

Pretty much the equivalent to given the big middle finger.

emjhay287

To PM, 

This is a formal complaint about the price hike that you have bestow upon us. 

As indicated below is the whole reason why i switch company, to save money with a better plan.  Kindly retract this outrageous price increase.

Thank you.

To cite PM's official statement:

thatmatt

Just filed a complaint. This is absolutely bonkers and telus/public/koodo should be ashamed for being so deceptive. 

I, for one, never believed that this price was going to be good for "life". Prices are good for as long as any company chooses to offer it.  There are no protections in place when it comes to price and the terms of service will always say that the carrier can raises prices when they wish. When it comes to contracts, there's always been the fact that carriers can (and and sometimes do) increase prices even while there is a term contract.  The condition of such material changes in such a contract would just mean that a customer could walk away penalty free.  Now, in the case of Public Mobile, even if the argument is use that they are breaking a contract, I most I could see the carrier being liable for would be to refund any customer fees paid if they choose to do that mid-billing cycle.

I think that subscribers here would have better luck at arguing the point against the price increase by holding Public Mobile to specific advertising standards.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't like this rate increase and I think it's sneaky (I'll get back to the "sneaky" point).   I know that people are bringing up this promise about the price staying the same as long as the customer stays active with Public Mobile. 

However, people should realize that the company (brand) could just close down, and there won't be any remaining Public Mobile customers who are still considered "active".  Additionally, Public Mobile could also just choose to no longer do business with customers on this promotional price plan. 

Okay, about what I consider to be slightly sneaky.  Telus bought out Public Mobile a while a go.  We (or most) of us know that.  Part of the concern related to this deal with the disappearance of a competitor. 

With Koodo offering a comparable plan (albeit on postpaid) to cusotmers to migrate from Public Mobile, this is clearly being done to get people on plans with the possibility of overages.  Part of the problems I have with this price increase and then Koodo/Public saying that you can keep the same price by moving over to Koodo has to do with what appears to be deliberate sabotage of the Public Mobile brand.  While Public is owned by Telus, I don't believe Telus would be so worried if Public Mobile were to completely fail.  This would lead to slightly less choice in the market, forcing  some people to the more lucrative postpaid offerings.

@Watoko yeah this was really shady

No posts on message boards

Increase sent after people renews

@Watokowrote:

I'm surprised there's still no official announcement from the Public Mobile team despite all this backlash and uproar. I'm waiting PM....

Pedror

They are not losing money, they just aren't making AS MUCH profit. They don't spend money on call centres and support staff.

@ToniCipriani schooled implies the response was correct

People can yell and scream all they want

It is irrelevent

Fulgore

The text message I got says the deadline is March 15 if want to switch to koodo

@allycia416wrote:

@jtm02wrote:

Thinking I will switch to Koodo tomorrow. 

Should I be waiting?

If I were you, I would wait until just before the March 20th deadline.  Let's see PM's response

, not 20. March 20 is when the price officially increases

Watoko

emjhay287

please kindly report this to ccts and to ctv news

ctv consumer report: 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/more/consumer-alert

ccts:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/

@ute1978 koodo.com

lol but seriously think about this for a second

IF you get the $100 and no Tab

Then you port out the next day

Koodo now owes you a $100 refund

Ain't gonna happen

Tab is REQUIRED for the $100 credit

ToniCipriani

Looks like PM tried to weasel out by telling someone to read the terms and conditions, and got schooled:

https://twitter.com/theeked/status/964274851245572096

@mjs

Lots of words but all of it is just wrong

Based on your understanding shows you actually did not understand what you were agreeing to

The Wireless Code and the Terms of Service are quite clear

@mjswrote:

I accepted it based on assurance that it will not increase. I am sure that Public Mobile is aware that any changes to any agreement requires the consent of both parties. I myself, like many other here, did not sign a contract with Public Mobile nor it's parent compnay Telus. Services provided by Public Mible and accepted by the client/ cosumer are subject to certain terms and conditions. On my end, when I acquired services from Public Mobile, I acquired the 4GB plans per month based on the agreement that it would be $120 per 90 days and based on the understanding that it will not increase. There was not any priovious disclosure between myself, as the client, and Public Mobile that this plan would increase at any point of time with consent and mutual agreement. Public Mobile is therefore in breach of the agreement and liable for damages resulting from that breach. Public Mobile has also engaged in providing false and misleading information to acquire business and attract clients to sign up for that plan when it was first offered. The reason I say that is because I feel that as I was assured, like veryone else that this plan cost would not increase as long as we are active members. Not only Public Mobile has breached agreements, but also has engaged in questionable practices and violated consumer the Consumer Protection Act. I would have been very happy to switch from Public Mobile to another company and take advantage of the 10GB plan that was offered back then if I knew that Public Mobile will breach agreement. Public Mobile's action resulted in myself, and many others, in not being able to take advantage of that limited time offer, thus potentially inflicting additional costs to the consumer if they would switch now.

I will certainly be speaking to a lawyer in order to consider my legal options against Public Mobile and it's parent company if necessary. I will for sure be involving the CRTC as well with this matter and Consumer Protection BC. I will be considering pursuing a claim against Public Mobile for breach of agreement and for damages resulting from their actions.

I do hope that a moderator is able to review this post and bring it to the immediate attention of management.

lukevader

@KingCreolewrote:

I will submit a complaint too. This is blatant false advertising, bait-and-switch, and breach of contract. 

What contract???????? Ok maybe you have a case of contract until your 90 days expire but after that theres no implied contract. You have to renew on the updated rates.

Need Help? Let's chat.