cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G in USA

Devsan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Travelling to US next week, am currently on a 3G plan. If I add on talk and text ($15), will this work in Hawaii?

I ask as some telco's have dropped 3G in US

If I change my plan to 4G, the charge is $40.00, am just into the first week of my current plan same price, will the charge of $40 be refunded? its automatic payment every month billed to my credit card.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

SillySu

In MANY parts of the US it does not work...and for a long road trip - adding roaming and then not having the ability to call anyone during my trip through like 6 states and not having the ability to look into it while driving (ie checking customer service etc) poses a safety risk for me.  Additionally, they HAVE 4g - but only if you are willing to buy a data plan... So it makes it a bit of a cash grab to make people buy bigger plans.  I dont need a bigger plan, the idea of prepaid is to buy only what you need... or i'm forced back into a post paid to get 4g since the rest of the world is moving in that direction.  At  the very least they could turn on 4g for their USA roaming products to at least make it useful.  Having to ask for a refund and wait 10 business days for it is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. 

Hi @SillySu PM is still offering voice roaming because it will work in some area. There is no 3G in US but voice still work on T-Mobile 2G network.  It still work in many part of US

I think PM is doing good job,  There is a note about it might not work at the add on purchase page,  they give you a chance to connect,  and will provide refund if it does not work.

SillySu

So weird,  I am roaming in NC and I had to ask PM for a refund on my roaming add on... PM uses 3g for talk and text (I don't have a data plan) and that means the service WILL NOT WORK in areas that 3g has been shut down... Anyone who called me went straight to voicemail and I could not use the phone at all for voice.  I can't see why PM still offers data roaming to USA on 3g when the phone will effectively be useless.  I'm research other prepaid providers that offer talk and text on 4g.  I find it terrible to penalize customers who don't need data and can't use their phone on 4g networks. I travel to the US quite frequently and this is the first time my phone was basically a brick.  I had to buy a US sim card to have access to voice and text.

@Devsan long distance minutes are to be used to call FROM Canada.  There is no expiry date to the LD addons

Devsan

Thanks, so i can use up those mins in Canada correct? Do they have expiry date?

@Devsan wrote:

Many thanks, hoping all works smoothly.

Another quick one, i hardly log into my account as am a simple mobile user. But i saw that under 'add on usage' i have 500 mind international LD bonus with usage of 0.0. does this mean i have all those mins to make international calls? didn't even know when/how i got the bonus

These long distance minutes do not work while you're in the U.S. They are only usable while you're in Canada.

Devsan

Many thanks, hoping all works smoothly.

Another quick one, i hardly log into my account as am a simple mobile user. But i saw that under 'add on usage' i have 500 mind international LD bonus with usage of 0.0. does this mean i have all those mins to make international calls? didn't even know when/how i got the bonus

@Devsan wrote:

Travelling to US next week, am currently on a 3G plan. If I add on talk and text ($15), will this work in Hawaii?

I ask as some telco's have dropped 3G in US

If I change my plan to 4G, the charge is $40.00, am just into the first week of my current plan same price, will the charge of $40 be refunded? its automatic payment every month billed to my credit card.

The type of plan that you have (3g vs. 4g) is unrelated to how the service will work in the U.S.  All Public Mobile plans have access to the same networks.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Devsan you don't need to change any plan to use your roaming service.  Your "3G"  plan is in fact 3G speed plan, does not mean you need to use only the 3G network.  In fact, most likely you are on the 4G LTE netowrk  but just speed capped at 3G Speed 3Mbps

So, you can go ahead to buy any Roaming addon with any plan you have with PM

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Devsan  Sorry you won't get a refund at all. Plans aren't prorated either.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Devsan yes, it will work in Hawaii.  Another member just confirmed yesterday 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Purchased-data/m-p/906787/highlight/true#...

For voice,  you will be connecting to T-Mobile and use its 2G network

Need Help? Let's chat.