cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G connectivity to buy more data?

alpha060
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, it’s been my experience that the odd time I need to buy a top-up of 200MB or a gig, I am able to do so over 3G despite having reached my cap, where the only website I can access is publicmobile.ca and its affiliate sites, to complete a top up purchase. 

The last two times in the last ten days, this hasn’t worked: I can load the public mobile main site, but the self service site just stalls out. I’ve needed to be on WiFi to buy more data. Is this a problem to be fixed, or new policy going forward for the company? 

Thanks for any information you can provide. 

10 REPLIES 10

@computergeek541- Same here. A long time ago. I also remember seeing the stop page. And I also don't remember actually trying to connect to here. Oh well. Thanks.

@dust2dust wrote:

@computergeek541- Are you asserting this from experience or policy? As we know many things are stated but many things are experienced differently. It's moot now because the OP says he can't anymore. But it was interesting to hear that he said he could.

That's a fair quetsion. It's been so long since I deliberately used up all my data to see what would happen with various aspects of my account. From my recollection, nothing would work that required the internet and the sign into network error message would be displayed. Also, if you then connected to Wi-Fi, and refreshed a web page, Public Mobile would redirect you to a page that showed a list of reasons the internet connection wasn't working. I do believe that I did try publicmobile.ca but I can't say 100% because that isn't what I was looking for a the time.  I was more looking for error messgaes and the renewal process and data counter reset would proceed. I did notice that there was a 30 minute delay from the time that the counter reset before data would start working again.

@computergeek541- Are you asserting this from experience or policy? As we know many things are stated but many things are experienced differently. It's moot now because the OP says he can't anymore. But it was interesting to hear that he said he could.

@umnikke8 wrote:

Maybe when the website got changed, the special filters that let you access the website without available data quota didn't get updated to match.

Unfortuantley, there is no such filter.  selfserve.publicmobile.ca stops working when the customer is out of data but tries to use mobile data to access it.

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Maybe when the website got changed, the special filters that let you access the website without available data quota didn't get updated to match.

@hTideFnow wrote:

@alpha060 

use different browser,open incognito mode,clear cache,cookie, try Login

you still not work,  open a ticket with PM CS_Agent. at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

type: Contact Us and Other 
Finally Click here to submit a ticket
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

If you have error submitting a ticket, send a private message to the CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

check inbox(top right corner envelope icon) for response from CS_Agent.

There's no reason to try a different browser, clear cache or to use incognito mode to log in for this situation  Also, since the concern is needing to use Wi-Fi because there is no more data remaining on the account, the customer wouldn't be able to open a ticket to a CSA without a working internet connection.  If there is a working internet connection, the customer would simply use the Self Serve account to complete the process and a CSA wouldn't be needed anyway.  @alpha060  You're not supposed to be able to access your Public Mobile Self Serve account without having any data remaining.  Unforttunately, if you wish to use the Self Serve account method, you will need a Wi-Fi connection.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@alpha060 

I didn't even know that you could do that. While you learn something new everyday! As mentioned by @hTideGnow you can purchase additional data add-ons via 611 or by calling 1855 PUBLIC and entering your 10-digit phone number. You do need to know your four digit account pin number to do so if you cannot remember it I can be reset in your self-serve account.

I often recommend that customers choose a four digit account number that if they cannot remember it or do not have a great memory that they added to their contacts as the last four digits of a phone number. You can use a clever reference like GrandDada 1-647-456-XXXX or Uncle Andy or Auntie Addy etc... Then you will always be able to reference it when you really need to purchase an add-on or top up and/or reactivate your account when you cannot access the internet.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@alpha060 , there has been no official announcement on this site about a policy change, so not sure what is happening.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @alpha060   I never need to buy extra data when mine are all out so I do not know it was doable

But maybe you can also try to buy via *611.  You can buy 200Mb or 1GB data add-on via *611 , but remember you need to have your 4 digits pin.  You can reset it yourself in My Account if you need to 

hTideFnow
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@alpha060 

use different browser,open incognito mode,clear cache,cookie, try Login

you still not work,  open a ticket with PM CS_Agent. at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

type: Contact Us and Other 
Finally Click here to submit a ticket
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

If you have error submitting a ticket, send a private message to the CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

check inbox(top right corner envelope icon) for response from CS_Agent.

Need Help? Let's chat.