cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G 2X/3X/4X - Why Not?

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If PM doesn't want to offer 4G speeds (except for data-only plans) in hopes that some of us will switch to Koodo, why doesn't PM offer double 3G speed (or triple, quadruple speed...) data for a small extra cost?  It would seem like a win-win for PM to me - more money for PM, & more data usage due to higher speeds, which would in turn persuade some customers to go for higher capacity data plans. And happier customers too.  Why not?

3 REPLIES 3

Cell site hardware is often rated with 3000mbps bandwidth capacity (per user). This value seems very common even if it also seems somewhat arbitrary - or perhaps it's inherited from legacy GSM specs - but it's built into the physical hardware layer of the network so it's essentially the de-facto "throttle" standard.

The Big Three don't manufacture their own hardware, at least not the fancy digital stuff which handles signal processing, muxing, etc. They source it from companies in USA or China or wherever, so they have to use whatever "hardwired" specs are embedded into it.

It seems like it should be possible to allocate multiple shares to subscribers, allowing those people who pay for the privilege to get multiple 3000mbps channels. But then the providers would either need to install more equipment to serve the same number of subscribers or they'd have to allocate bandwidth to some subscribers by taking it away from others. It's a business first and foremost, they will not install extra equipment, performance, service, or coverage until/unless they are confident their investment (and ongoing operating costs) will generate extra revenues.

Third tier brands (like Public Mobile) are unlikely to ever offer faster performance options than their higher-ranked counterparts. And the price difference between "3G speed" vs "LTE speed" is marginal, it's not really granular enough to subdivide into intermediate layers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Looking at all Tier 3 providers, I think they all try to make it simple.. they don't want too many customization, what they offer (plans/add-ons/roaming) are very very simple .. almost bare minimum.. 

And especially now, I guess we won't see much surprises until they decide what to do with LTE when they have no choice but to let go the 3G network.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@bluejaywpg wrote:

If PM doesn't want to offer 4G speeds (except for data-only plans) in hopes that some of us will switch to Koodo, why doesn't PM offer double 3G speed (or triple, quadruple speed...) data for a small extra cost?  It would seem like a win-win for PM to me - more money for PM, & more data usage due to higher speeds, which would in turn persuade some customers to go for higher capacity data plans. And happier customers too.  Why not?

@bluejaywpg wrote:

Unfortunately, PM lost its way of being an innovator or "disrupter" in the cell phone provider market many years ago and is now a follower.  If none of the other 3rd tier providers are offering this there is no need for PM to do it either.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.