cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

343 (Ottawa Area Code) cannot be reached with an Ontario provincial Plan

stimpsonthecat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a friend who got a new 343 area code phone number who lives south of Ottawa.

Whenever I try to call him I get the message saying I need to have a long distance add on even though the new 343 area code is a valid area code for ONTARIO.

Is this going to be fixed by Public Mobile?

Why pay for a provincial plan when I can't call inside the province?

AREA CODE 613 and overlay AREA CODE 343 are area codes for Ottawa
and surrounding Eastern Ontario

9 REPLIES 9

Lww
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not an answer I can follow!   Anything else you can help me with on  this ?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks, I always put 1 in front of numbers now that I have Canada-wide. In ancient times when I didn't even have province-wide (okay it wasn't PM) I didn't put 1 in front, because if it was LD I wanted to wait until it was a local call. My worry is more that if we give out the number, people will hang up because of that warning. 

I admit I don't know where this specific 343 number is, I guess I should check. The number is 343-20x-xxxx and I'm just getting "Ontario" when I look it up on various sites.

Will contact the mods to confirm.

=aw

@ottawa, it doesn't matter whether you have Provincial or Canada-Wide calling, the message is correct in that it *maybe* a long distance call, based on the calling centre location of the phone number.

I don't know how big area code 343 is, could it be that it's more than just Ottawa that is covered?

For example, area codes 519 and 226 in South Western Ontario cover from Windsor to Waterloo, Guelph, and Owen Sound.   None of these 4 locations can call 'local' to the others and will get the same message, but the calls complete without additional costs on a Provincewide PM plan, and a Canada-Wide plan.

If this is still within the local Ottawa calling area, then send a PM to the Moderator_Team regarding this, as if it is local, it means the calling instructions are either not set up for the new overlay, OR the provisioning hasn't been done properly on your phone activation.

Make all your calls using +1 before the 10 digits, and this goes away.

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

We signed up to test Fizz (much prefer PM) and got a 343 (Ottawa overlay) number.

When I call it from Ottawa on my PM 613 line without a "1", I still get "Long distance charges may apply". Of course I let it go through, but it concerns me that PM still thinks 343 is LD from Ottawa. 

I have Canada-wide calling on PM, so I don't know whether PM thinks 343 is elsewhere in ON, or elsewhere in Canada. I'm concerned both because people often hang up when they get that message (I did, when I didn't have LD at all) and if PM thinks it's non-ON, provincial plan won't be able to call it.

This has obviously been an issue for a while. Has there been any progress on this? Is it a PM issue or something higher?

Thanks!

=aw

stimpsonthecat

I guess Public mobile isn't the problem.

I tried reaching the number with a landline and I get the same issue.

It's an Onstar car phone number and He had something replaced on his Onstar phone.

He can call me but I cant call him.

I read this can be an issue sometimes and it's the Onstar stuff at fault.

Oh well.

Cest la vie.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry for the delay; lunch called.

That is bad news and means you will need  the assistance of one of our moderators; @Saray_O @Shazia_K or @Mary_M.

Hang in there. They will likely be able to help you this afternoon.

You will need to send them information by private message. If unfamiliar with this feature, you can review it here: Private Messages - viewing and creating. It will speed things along if you can check in from time to time.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

stimpsonthecat

I just tried dialling it and got the message and then the phone gets hung up on.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Have you tried letting the call go through after receiving the message? I regularly hear that message but the call connects without charge.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.