cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day plans vs. 1 month plans

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I've been using Public Mobile now for 9 months and like the service quite a bit. One thing that bugs me is that the plans are 30 days, and not one month. During months that have 31 days, the plan renewal date creeps up by 1 day the following period. Oringinally my plan was renewing on the 16th of the month, but it has now crept up to renew on the 10th of the month. This is anoying because I like to keep track of my data through the built in data management feature in my android phone, which allows me to pick a day each month to reset my usage. The way Public mobile renewals dates continually creeps up makes this a hassle to keep updating on my phone. Why can't Public Mobile just make these plans last one month instead of 30 days, and allow us to have a consistant renewal date each and every month? Just a suggestion.

16 REPLIES 16

dickwong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Agree.  Eventually it got moved to an earlier month after 2nd or 3rd year...

frankieshi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Haha,  just allow Public Mobile make 5days/365days=1.37% more profit since it is a low cost mobile company...

DataWitness by @IWIK is great on android.  It does not have an iPhone version.

Turn off monitoring MMS in the app, and it’s verynaccurate.  Over 90 days I see less than 10 MB between the official stat from PM and my device.

I started on the 15th of the month 3 years ago.  I’m now renewing early in the month.

if you must pay monthly to Jeep you books in line, pay twice now, and then continue paying monthly one cycle in advance.

Arondu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There's an app in the play store called 3g watchdog. I love it because you can set it to keep track of data usage per 30 days. 

@popping wrote:

Was this 30 days cycle originated from the original Public Mobile before Telus took over Public Mobile?  

If Telus inherited the 30 days billing system, Telus may just keep it going!

I don't remember what Public Mobile did before it was purchased by Telus, but I can say that Telus Mobility prepaid services have always been running on 30 day billing cycles for as long as I can remember.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the tip. Looks good in theory, but the reviews say it's not that accurate. I'll give it a try and see for myself. However, doesn't fix the idea of budgeting for the cost of service on a consistent day each month.

The suggestion is of course a valid one but it is what it is. 30/90 days. Like it or leave it 🙂

I ran a spreadsheet a while back for curiosity that added 30 days and it took about 5 years for the floating day to wrap around and back to where it started.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Was this 30 days cycle originated from the original Public Mobile before Telus took over Public Mobile?  

If Telus inherited the 30 days billing system, Telus may just keep it going!

WoozyPolarBear

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the tip. Looks good in theory, but the reviews say it's not that accurate. I'll give it a try and see for myself. However, doesn't fix the idea of budgeting for the cost of service on a consistent day each month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WoozyPolarBear 

This guy was/is a customer here and made this app to match the 30/90 day terms for those that have phones that only know what a month is.

@WoozyPolarBear 

I really doubt PM will change from 30 day to monthly billing.

On my android phone, I click on the date range and it gives me the option to change cycle. So I can set and change the first day on an on-going basis to check my current consumption.

As others mention, you can also check Self-serve to confirm your data usage.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WoozyPolarBear I am fustrated after using the phone to manage the data after two cycle. I think whatever works for you that is the most important. 

WoozyPolarBear

I find the data management on my phone much more convienent, and it's not just about that either, it's about having a monthly consistent budget. I don't like that my billing date creeps up. Make it a set day of the month would be much better.

@WoozyPolarBear  

I don't think I've ever heard someone say that they prefer the 30 day plan cycles. I think that it adds confusion about the payment due dates, and as you kniow, makes it more difficult to keep track of usage.  Eventually, you do get used to it. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WoozyPolarBear You can ignore the data management in your phone. You can check out the actual data usage in "My Account" overview. 

WoozyPolarBear

To me it's not about losing a day of service (or even gaining a day or two in February), but rather I would just like to have a consistant billing date on the same day each month. It's a hassle to reset my data usage in android the way it is now.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@WoozyPolarBear probably keeping with the pay as you go style prepaid 30 days. It also may appear "cheaper" vs monthly plans but as mentioned you lose a day every month that has 31 days. 

Let's wait till February then we gain a couple days... Oh wait 2020 is a leap year so 29 days 

Need Help? Let's chat.