cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15 Plan - Unlimited Text Messaging Included; Do you need Wifi to send text messages?

Hockey2022
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I am not connected to Wifi, I am unable to send text messages. Do you need Wifi connection to send text messages, although it's included in the base plan? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@Hockey2022  The best settings for iPhones and messaging are:

Settings >> Messages: iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS messaging ON >> Send & Receive: should show your PM phone number and Apple ID email address

@CountyDownIeUk @hTideGnow There is no need to turn off iMessage to send/receive SMS. iPhones default to SMS/MMS for outgoing messages if the recipient does not use iMessage. If you send to a group and some use Android the whole group defaults to SMS/MMS.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Hockey2022 wrote:

Thanks for the response. When I change my settings as per your suggestions, it states iMessage needs to be enabled; I believe you need this on for messaging other iPhone users. I'll keep playing with my settings and hopefully something will work!

Nobody is forced to use iMessage.  You can even turn it off, and iPhone devices are fully capable of receiving an SMS message.  Once your iMessage is being used, this is no longer text messaging but rather instant messaging.  This isn't an issue with the Pubilic Mobile service as this is phone and phone software related, with Public Mobile having no control over this.

Hockey2022

Thanks, I'll give this a try and hopefully this works! 

Hockey2022

Thanks for the response. When I change my settings as per your suggestions, it states iMessage needs to be enabled; I believe you need this on for messaging other iPhone users. I'll keep playing with my settings and hopefully something will work!

@DDM69 wrote:

Imessage on apple phones uses data or WIFI.  If you are just using text without Imessage, your texts should work fine. If an iPhone, you will have to adjust your settings, or bypass iMessage by doing as per below in blue, and texts to an android will go with out data or WIFI. From an iPhone....iMessage is a blue bubble and to an android is green bubble. 

@Hockey2022 

Can you provide more details?

How to Send SMS Text Messages Instead of iMessage
  1. Tap and hold on the message you want to send as a text.
  2. From the pop-up menu, select “Send as Text Message”

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Imessage on apple phones uses data.  If you are just using text without Imessage, your texts should work fine.

Can you provide more details?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Hockey2022   are you on iPhone or Android?

You  are sending the message with iMessage and not SMS.   With iMessage, you need wifi or Mobile Data to send out the message.   you can change it to disable iMessage if you want to send out the message without Wifi or Mobile Data

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings.
  2. Tap Messages.
  3. Set iMessage to Off.

if you are on Android, then you are sending out RCS instead of sms.  Similarly , you can turn it off to send via SMS
1. Open Messages
2. Tap More options> Settings > Chat features
3. Turn Enable chat features off
Need Help? Let's chat.