cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0 bars for 2 days, can't submit support ticket.

plcd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone's had 0 bars for two days now, can't text, call or use data. I'm in southwestern Mississauga and I haven't had these sort of outage issues before.

It's still showing my carrier as Public Mobile, but I've had zero connection.

Taking out the SIM while the phone was off and putting it back in changed nothing.

Do you know how annoying it is to have to go to your parents place and use their landline to call your bank for important matters?

Almost as annoying as registering for a support account, filling out a ticket form and having it show an error when you send, so I guess I'm trying the forum now.

20 REPLIES 20

@Korth 

The geography I've got down pat so that probably explains my technology prowess....

@darlicious 

Uh, nope, I know exactly which thread is where.

But a closer reading reveals that (until google) I didn't know the difference between Mississauga and Massachusetts. My bad. I'm good at math and tech, I suck at geography.

@Korth 

Huh? Are you a little lost among threads?

@plcd 

I am assuming that you've purchased and activated a US Roaming Add-on. Or that you have a legacy plan which services Canada & USA.

You probably have, though it's not actually been mentioned anywhere in this thread. But if you have not then of course you won't get service in USA. You'll only get service in Canada. Public Mobile plan defaults are Canada-wide Talk while in Canada, Canada-wide data while in Canada, Canada & International Text while in Canada.

@softech wrote:

no, they can't switch back the SIM .. at this time,  has to get a new SIM..  

No, so far every SIM swap victim who has posted on these forums who has asked the moderators to reinstate their original SIM card and followed up on the forum has reported moderators successfully re-instating the original SIM in this special case.

Purchasing another SIM and activating it yourself is of course an option if you can't wait for moderator assistance, but otherwise incurs additional cost and inconvenience to an already victimized customer.

@RosieR wrote:

@plcd happy to help.  I hope the moderators are able to switch the phone service back to the sim that's currently in your phone.  Best wishes

no, they can't switch back the SIM .. at this time,  has to get a new SIM..  

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@plcd happy to help.  I hope the moderators are able to switch the phone service back to the sim that's currently in your phone.  Best wishes

plcd

Thanks for the help everyone, already been working the stuff out with Paypal and the Bank, but I've been doing what you've been recommending since. Now I just wait I guess.

@plcd in addition to what I already posted above, change your password and name on the account.  Immediately place your phone on lost/ stolen as already suggested by @HALIMACS  above. Change email, bank, credit card passwords that may be at risk. Contact the relevant places.

Were you able to get in touch with Paypal?  Report this.

@plcd 

It's regrettable this happened, however these types of incidents are unlikely the result of a carrier error, so suggesting Telus may be to blame will not serve your best interests.

It all comes down to being super careful online with personal information, with sharing of personal information, ensuring strong passwords.   Below is a good article on this, I'd recommend reviewing it after you've followed prior instructions for securing your financials.

SIM swap fraud: How to prevent your phone number from being stolen - CNET

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@plcd wrote:

The last 4 digits on the page are different than the last four digits on my physical sim @RosieR, I tried to enter the number on my sim but I ended up getting a message saying
"Sorry, the SIM card number is invalid or already in use. Please try again or order a new SIM card at publicmobile.ca."

First time I've heard of Simjacking, but I did have someone get into my Paypal recently which was why I had to go to my parents to contact my bank, so I'll be super not happy if Telus had something to do with that.

@plcd sorry your sim card got hacked.  Terrible thing, this is.  If you haven't contacted the moderators as already suggested above, contact the Moderators_Team now.

Moderators are available:

-- Monday to Friday from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time.

-- Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

The moderators will ask you questions to prove you are the owner of the account. This is normal. These were the questions that I answered when I contacted them recently.

• Please provide us your phone number plus 3 of the following, matching up your account:
        1. Last top-up amount and the date
        2. Last four digits of a registered credit card
        3. Account number
        4. Last add-on purchased and the date
        5. Email address

Ask them to switch the phone service back to the sim that's currently in your phone. 

In the meantime, call 611, on the main menu, choose 5 to remove your autopay.  You will need your PIN # to do this.

Also, get a new sim card.  Do not activate the new sim card.  Choose change sim card on your self serve account.

RosieR

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@plcd wrote:

The last 4 digits on the page are different than the last four digits on my physical sim @RosieR, I tried to enter the number on my sim but I ended up getting a message saying
"Sorry, the SIM card number is invalid or already in use. Please try again or order a new SIM card at publicmobile.ca."

First time I've heard of Simjacking, but I did have someone get into my Paypal recently which was why I had to go to my parents to contact my bank, so I'll be super not happy if Telus had something to do with that.

Hi @plcd, so sorry to hear this.

Change passwords and security questions to your SELF SERVE account right away and check your financials

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Suspend Service

Let the moderators know about this as well.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

plcd

@RosieR  @computergeek541 

Definitely a good idea to check the SIM in phone vs what's on account.

Would the phone still display Public Mobile if the SIM was swapped?  

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@plcd wrote:

Tried to place a call, just said Mobile Network not available.

Hi @plcd that means you don't have any mobile service connection. Do what @computergeek541 suggested.  Go to your self serve account and check if the last 4 digits of your sim card is the same as your actual sim card.  If yes, that's good.  If not, you might be a victim of sim jacking.

Contact the Moderator_Team using the link provided by @HALIMACS above.

plcd

Tried to place a call, just said Mobile Network not available.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

Hi @plcd there are no outage reports in your area in the last couple of days

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus

@plcd wrote:

My phone's had 0 bars for two days now, can't text, call or use data. I'm in southwestern Mississauga and I haven't had these sort of outage issues before.

It's still showing my carrier as Public Mobile, but I've had zero connection.

Taking out the SIM while the phone was off and putting it back in changed nothing.

Do you know how annoying it is to have to go to your parents place and use their landline to call your bank for important matters?

Almost as annoying as registering for a support account, filling out a ticket form and having it show an error when you send, so I guess I'm trying the forum now.

When it comes to being unable to submit a ticket, posting a message here cannot fix an account issue, if there is one that is specific to your account.

As for no network connection, the first thing I would check would be log into your self serve account.  Check to see if the SIM card number listed there matches yours.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@plcd , do you have another phone to test out the service?  If this problem has been going on for this long and in a populated city, I doubt the issue is local network related.  It you are able to connect to the network but not getting a good connection, it could be the phone that is the problem.  

As for contacting the moderator team, from what I can tell they are not heavily backlogged.  I submitted a ticket a couple of days ago and it was addressed within the hour.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Zero bars is unusual, @plcd 

Usually, Public Mobile may show limited bars when in idle state, then once making or receiving a call, it increases connectivity.

Are you completely unable to send and receive calls?

You could try to swap SIM's to another phone to test whether it's a phone or a network issue.

Try resetting your network connection.  If problem doesn't resolve, contact moderator by clicking here

Need Help? Let's chat.