Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong tax in my payment

JDuchesne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi.

I just join the Public Mobile plan

I have the 50$  plan and they put me the provincial tax of bc because my area code is 867.

I live in Northwest Territories and we use that same area code. 867.

instead to put 5% tax as it is in NT. (total 52.50$) they put me the bc tax who is I believe 12% (total 56$).

is it possible to change this somewhere?

thanks

Jean. Northwest Territories

10 REPLIES 10

The province of British Columbia does not have any 867 area code phone numbers.

I would say that this is clearly a mistake on Public Mobile's part if they haven't charged the correct sales tax rate. Note that if you have an 867 area code phone number from a different city/northern territory, the sales tax rate of that territory will/should apply should it be different than NWT's.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

The problem with taxing the area code is normally not a problem, however I do see in this case how it affects it poorly.

However, if you tax the billing address, it could be out of province to where the phone is being used, and the service address could be in a third location, even across the border.

Well of course all autopay can do is tax by the province of the billing address of the credit card. So then they decide to otherwise tax by area code. Thus this problem arises when there's some spillover. So I'm sure the mods will get the OP sorted.

The problem with taxing the area code is normally not a problem, however I do see in this case how it affects it poorly.

However, if you tax the billing address, it could be out of province to where the phone is being used, and the service address could be in a third location, even across the border.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

how does the provincial wide talking works in this case? only in BC? only in the territories?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So maybe a workaround until such time as they tax as per address rather than area code is to use vouchers and pay your local tax at that time rather than the autopay charging its own taxes.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JDuchesne I'd be curious to hear what the moderators say.  I'm 99% certain that the tax rate charged is tied to the area code.  Upon a quick search, it turns out that code is used in NWT, Yukon, and Nunavut, as well as a few communities in BC and AB.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_867.

I'm guessing they made the assumption ages ago that area codes were province/territory-bound and not shared, so associated a give area code to exactly 1 province and using that province's tax rate would be sufficient.  I guess they were wrong.  I have no idea what they will be able to do for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous lol, so true and funny, great catch.  @Anonymous must have been so happy to finally paste it where it actually made a difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay @Anonymous. Sure ok a duplicate post but at least it's relevant to the question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you need send a private message >> Click here 

In your message put it, please include.

- your Name 

- your account number ,if you have it 

- your phone number 

- your account, 4 digit PIN

- date of birth 

- Detailed explanation of specific your issue

- them can help you a lot nice service Team

Waiting for Response, Community Moderators are available from:

Monday to Friday from 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT) Saturday and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7pm (EDT)
During business hours, we strive to answer all customer messages/inquiries as soon as possible. Usually, that is within an hour, but in peak periods, it could be as much as within 48 hours of receiving the message.

Good Luck

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should send a private message to the Moderator Team regarding this issue.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Are you sure that your number (not just the area code) is in fact based in the NWT, and not in BC?

Need Help? Let's chat.