cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi at home

c4po
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi everyone,

wifi on my phone (using my telus account at home) seems to have slowed down since i switched to PM
-is this possible?
-if so, any idea why?

thx

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@c4po wrote:

pure genius!

thank you

Yes. Are we to assume that with your post following a post that it's referring to that previous post? We'd all like to what the genius bit was here.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@c4po so you weren't actually connected to your wifi at home?

c4po
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

pure genius!

thank you

srlawren

Modern WiFi can handle all but the very fastest home internet connections just fine.   

@c4po your choice of mobile provider has nothing to do with your WiFi on your phone, so there may be a correlation between switching and the slowdown, but not a causation.  Try testing your home WiFi from another device, one not connected to any mobile network (e.g. a desktop or laptop, of wi-fi only tablet).  (If you don't have access to another device, then maybe temporarily remove your PM SIM card so that your phone is defintiely only on Wi-Fi only.  )Do you still see the slowdown compared to before? 

If you do, then there is something going on with your home service.  Try rebooting the modem (and wifi access point, if they are separate devices) and re-test.  If still bad, contact your provider for help.

If you don't see the slowdown on other devices, it's likely your phone.  Verify you don't have "Wi-Fi Assist" or "Smart Wi-Fi Switching" turned on and re-test.  Maybe try a network reset.  I'm not sure what else to suggest yet but let's start with all the above.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A speedtest from a corded or wireless connection makes essentially no difference. The speed is from the router out to the test site.

@Anonymous  respectivly I have to disagee about hardwired vs wireless. 

The farther you are from the router with wifi the weaker the signal the slower the speed you will get as the test runs from the computer.  Unless you have a speedtest app that is actually part of the routers firmware.

It all comes down to the bottleneck of getting out past your router. That wifi signal would have to be substantially weakened to perform less than the speed of the internet connection.

Yes wired is better (I'm wired writing this...no not that one). But for external speedtests, it only wins if the wifi is very weak to be less than what the outside speed is.

So I'm gonna have to respectfully agree with you in that regard :). I wandered around my house into the different corners and got lessened wifi signal and ran the same speedtest each time and yes the weaker signal produced slower results. But if I'm on wifi not far from the router then it's essentially the same result.

mimmo

@Anonymous wrote:

A speedtest from a corded or wireless connection makes essentially no difference. The speed is from the router out to the test site.

@Anonymous  respectivly I have to disagee about hardwired vs wireless. 

The farther you are from the router with wifi the weaker the signal the slower the speed you will get as the test runs from the computer.  Unless you have a speedtest app that is actually part of the routers firmware.

@will13amHe was saying that internet is slow on his phone at home, so I suggested that if his phone is connecting to his home wifi (not data) then it could be his home internet that's the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's also alleged that the 3G runs full-out for a few days and then throttles down thereafter.

I think you both are right...just looking at it differently.

But what do I know? 🙂

To the OP:

@c4po wrote:

hi everyone,

wifi on my phone (using my telus account at home) seems to have slowed down since i switched to PM
-is this possible?
-if so, any idea why?

thx

I doubt very much that now using PM is affecting your wifi speed. I would think anything you're perceiving is coincidental. After that the above posts may give you some things to look at.

ie. are you in fact using cell data when you think you're on home wifi? You've already read some possibilities.

@Alex888 wrote:

@mimmoIf he's using data then the speed could be slower because the 3G is throttled. And if he's on wifi and his home internet is slow than normal then it would slow down the wifi as well, and may be more noticable on wifi than computer.  A speed test from a router would be better but it's just to give him an idea of whether the problem is the phone or his home internet.

Why would you need to do a speed test to determine whether the phone is connected to the home WiFi or wireless network.  I run android devices and this check can be done in seconds in the notification bar or in the settings menu.

@mimmoIf he's using data then the speed could be slower because the 3G is throttled. And if he's on wifi and his home internet is slow than normal then it would slow down the wifi as well, and may be more noticable on wifi than computer.  A speed test from a router would be better but it's just to give him an idea of whether the problem is the phone or his home internet.

mimmo

@Alex888 wrote:

Check if you are actually using Wi-Fi or if you're using data. The 3G data is throttled.

If you are on wi-fi, use your home computer and go to https://www.speedtest.net/ to test what speed your home internet is getting.

its typically best to be hardwired into teh router for speed tests not wireless 

mimmo

I can't see how teh two can be related.

when was teh last time you unplugged your modem/router (5 minutes).

if its still slow after that do some speed tests near the router. and after that i would call telus if the issue still happens.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Check if you are actually using Wi-Fi or if you're using data. The 3G data is throttled.

If you are on wi-fi, use your home computer and go to https://www.speedtest.net/ to test what speed your home internet is getting.

Need Help? Let's chat.