cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do I keep getting amber alters for other cities? how do I turn it off?

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

25 REPLIES 25

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I turn on do not disturb with only certain people in my favourites that can call me immediately it seems to work 

@stonechucker wrote:

I know this thread has been dormant for just over a month at this time, however, I thought I'd let you know what I've just experienced, and it brought a chuckle/

I've heard an Alberta Emergency Alert today, at 12:55 ET.  I'm not sure of the time in AB right now, but it was released at 9:45 'AB' time.

I think, why am I hearing this in Ontario?  I'm listening to an Alberta classic rock station on my phone.

A tad bit of a distraction, however in no way does it interest me other than I happened to hear something that wasn't meant for me to receive, but I got it anyways.  I see no issue with this at all.  The Emergency system works.

I don't think I've ever received an amber alert, even the emergency test alerts are a bit of hit and miss.  Agree that it shouldn't be too much of an issue for anyone considering what the the amber alert is for, but the OP was distressed because of it interferring in her sleeping schedule because of shift work.  It would be better if it was possible to disable if needed.

I know this thread has been dormant for just over a month at this time, however, I thought I'd let you know what I've just experienced, and it brought a chuckle/

I've heard an Alberta Emergency Alert today, at 12:55 ET.  I'm not sure of the time in AB right now, but it was released at 9:45 'AB' time.

I think, why am I hearing this in Ontario?  I'm listening to an Alberta classic rock station on my phone.

A tad bit of a distraction, however in no way does it interest me other than I happened to hear something that wasn't meant for me to receive, but I got it anyways.  I see no issue with this at all.  The Emergency system works.

ChallengerOwner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The reason you would receive an amber alert in your city even though its reported to be in another is just in the case that if the person enters another city. It's better to be aware then be too late. Although the only suggestion I could think of is if you put your phone on airplane mode during the night but as for during the day its gonna happen regardless. Although maybe there is a number to block?? 

Just some ideas hope it helps. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sahands wrote:

so much for having any support from publicmobile mods....

Did you send a private message to the mods?  but as noted above it is not something they can do. they are just a relay for the service.  you would need to contact your local authority and discuss with them.  

from https://www.alertready.ca/

Given the importance of warning Canadians of imminent threats to the safety of life and property, the CRTC requires wireless service providers to distribute alerts on all compatible wireless devices connected to an LTE network in the target area. Therefore, it is not possible to opt out of receiving the alerts. Unlike radio and television broadcasting, which often has broad areas of coverage, wireless public alerting is geo-targeted and can be very specific to a limited area of coverage. As a result, if an emergency alert reaches your wireless device, you are located in an area where there is an imminent danger. Consult this webpage for more information.

luke11992

I think being able to turn off these alerts completely defeats the purpose...

sahands

so much for having any support from publicmobile mods....

@sahands wrote:

my android 5.0.2 does not have any option to change network (2G,3G etc.)

I had already turned off the alert setting, but the amber alert overrides it

Not that it's anyones' business, but I have to keep my phone turned on at night because I have a family member in the hospital.

As far as the inconvenience of losing sleep, what's the worst that can happen? Well I work at a medical laboratory, worst case scenario is that I go to work with a lack of sleep, and being tired I make the mistake of supplying the wrong result or mismatching a report to the wrong patient, and as a result the physician administers the wrong diagnosis/medication/surgical procedure etc. and kills the patient, not a big deal right? Actually a few years ago another staff member had accidentally attached the wrong result to a patient, and the physician scheduled that patient for an unnecessary surgery, thankfully the patient didn't die, but he had his prostate taken out because the doctor thought that he had cancer.

That's a tough situation to be in...not sure what you can do if you can't disable the alert in your phone settings.  Hopefully some time in the not too distant future, there will be improvements to this important tool for people in your situation.

@Stormy wrote:

One thing to consider is that for all of these "Amber Alerts" that have come out so far, no one has actaully received an Amber Alert. What we have all been geting is a Presidential Alert (or extereme or whatever it may be called on some phones) that is the highest level of alert and CAN NOT be disabled uness you root your phone.

Sadly for whatever reason the genius' at the CRTC have decided that we in Canada should get all alerts at the same level; whether it is an Amber Alert or an alert about an incpme tornado or missle.

Even sadder is those that look at anyone that says anything about how the system is currently implemented, label them as a heartless and selfish you-know-what, without taking a moment to even think about how the alerts go out. If someone doesn't change how these alerts are sent out, one of these days soon they are going to send out an alert for a real emergency with the potential for major loss of life (think tornando, earthquake, etc), and most wil ignor eit because they think it ia just another Amber Alert.

Excellent opinion piece here about it,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/amber-alerts-1.5137889

The phone manufacturers give is option to opt out of amber alert.  You are correct.  Thesre are all being sent as presidential so we can turn off unless we change network settings.

Stormy

@shskr wrote:

i just turn my phone off at night. Nothing is that important that i cant wait til morning.

Great idea. Now what do you do if the system sends out an alert for an actual life and death emergency? By the time you get up in the morning it may be too late.

Stormy

One thing to consider is that for all of these "Amber Alerts" that have come out so far, no one has actaully received an Amber Alert. What we have all been geting is a Presidential Alert (or extereme or whatever it may be called on some phones) that is the highest level of alert and CAN NOT be disabled uness you root your phone.

Sadly for whatever reason the genius' at the CRTC have decided that we in Canada should get all alerts at the same level; whether it is an Amber Alert or an alert about an incpme tornado or missle.

Even sadder is those that look at anyone that says anything about how the system is currently implemented, label them as a heartless and selfish you-know-what, without taking a moment to even think about how the alerts go out. If someone doesn't change how these alerts are sent out, one of these days soon they are going to send out an alert for a real emergency with the potential for major loss of life (think tornando, earthquake, etc), and most wil ignor eit because they think it ia just another Amber Alert.

Excellent opinion piece here about it,

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/amber-alerts-1.5137889

sahands

my android 5.0.2 does not have any option to change network (2G,3G etc.)

I had already turned off the alert setting, but the amber alert overrides it

Not that it's anyones' business, but I have to keep my phone turned on at night because I have a family member in the hospital.

As far as the inconvenience of losing sleep, what's the worst that can happen? Well I work at a medical laboratory, worst case scenario is that I go to work with a lack of sleep, and being tired I make the mistake of supplying the wrong result or mismatching a report to the wrong patient, and as a result the physician administers the wrong diagnosis/medication/surgical procedure etc. and kills the patient, not a big deal right? Actually a few years ago another staff member had accidentally attached the wrong result to a patient, and the physician scheduled that patient for an unnecessary surgery, thankfully the patient didn't die, but he had his prostate taken out because the doctor thought that he had cancer.

shskr

i just turn my phone off at night. Nothing is that important that i cant wait til morning.

MandyJ

I was actually hoping my phone might finally get these kind of alerts when I recently switched from Lucky Mobile to Public Mobile, but still no luck on that front. My phone is just too old I suppose.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Thanks to everyone who have pointed out about weighing the annoyance of having to be woken up at an inconvenient hour versus the potential serious harm posed to a missing child.

Plus as others have already said very easily mitigated through setting changes/turning your phone off! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@shskr wrote:

I'm on 3G and I still got the elerts.

People on 3g plan using LTE network will get the alerts.  When on 3g network, you won't receive.

@shskr you're looking for the Preferred Network Type setting in your network settings, similar to this:

Screenshot_20190517-091605.jpg

If I were to change this to "2G/3G (Automatic)", I would stop getting the alerts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean really. It's a reasonable social responsibility to your fellow humans. Almost all of us don't live in caves out in the wilderness anymore.

Don't forget to turn off your radios, stereos and TVs too.  They get the same things.

Honestly, if you're that upset about getting these messages, you need to change your morals.  An Emergency message it just that - an Emergency.  Amber Alerts are a portion of the system.

It doesn't matter how far away you are, as the most recent one was from Sudbury, and the child was located in Toronto with his mother, after taking a train and apparently not notifying the person who reported the child missing.

Dogbert

At times, it is many hours or even a day later before an Amber Alert is sent (a desperate call out for help). Amber Alert messages are not sent at a whim, but with careful consideration; too many and people start ignoring them. The individual could have hopped onto a local commuter plane with the child and travelled many thousand KMs away.  Yes, it's "could have"; however, in emergencies one has to cover all the possibilites.

If it really bothers you, then turn off your phone before going to sleep or place it into airplane mode.

I myself are not inconvenienced by such emergencies alerts, as there is a child's well being at stake.

@shskr wrote:

People on 3g plan using LTE network will get the alerts.  When on 3g network, you won't receive.

@CellGirl wrote:

@sahands 

under Apps and Notifications, Emergency Broadcasts

That won't work. Those settings will get overriden.  The suggestion by Lieux to choose 3g network does work.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

While I admit getting woke up at 3:57 am and then again for the french version an hour later for an Amber alert around 2000 km away (at least a days drive) is a bit silly and they should localize them better, it's a newer branch of the system that they are likely working the kinks out of still. I know I have got Amber alerts telling me that the alert is over (but having never got the initial one, those ones are annoying when they happen in the middle of the night, I also don't think they should use the same jarring claxon to notify it is over as they do when they are announcing it. As for disabling it, I don't believe you can in Canada. If you are worried about being woke up in the middle of the night by it, turn off your phone or leave it far enough away that it is out of earshot. If you are sleeping its not like you can spot the victim, but if it goes off during the day and is in your general area, you never know, you might save a kid's life. 

shskr

CellGirl

@sahands 

under Apps and Notifications, Emergency Broadcasts

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

If you don't want to receive them and will never...turn your data on 3G and not on LTE....that's a solution...

Need Help? Let's chat.