cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens to salmon?

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

quite off topic, but I cannot find an answer online. with regards to salmon, what happens to those that get to their spawning site, but cannot find a mate, do they still die, or do they leave alive to come back next year?

10 REPLIES 10

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

so according to this, 5-10% will actually survive, and return the next year:

https://www.nature.scot/plants-and-animals/fish/freshwater-fish/atlantic-salmon

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I'm hungry now lol

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Derekmcl wrote:

All salmon die on the spawning grounds, regardless of whether they get to do the dance of love or not!

I'm no expert in wildlife but I've read repeatedly that sometimes Atlantic salmon don't die after spawning and can actually repeat the process.

Obviously, these are The Salmon of Doubt.  Smiley Tongue

@Derekmcl wrote:

All salmon die on the spawning grounds, regardless of whether they get to do the dance of love or not!

I'm no expert in wildlife but I've read repeatedly that sometimes Atlantic salmon don't die after spawning and can actually repeat the process.

Derekmcl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Steelhead, on the other hand, which look similar to salmon, but are actually sea-run rainbow trout, return to the ocean to continue living, even after enjoying a spawning romp. They are referred to as kelts, and are quite emaciated, because they are all shagged out!  😋

I'm really not sure what this whole thread is even about, but not all salmon die after heading back to fresh water to lay eggs. Some types of salmon do survive.

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some end up to stomach before they reach the end of the river.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sahands wrote:

quite off topic, but I cannot find an answer online. with regards to salmon, what happens to those that get to their spawning site, but cannot find a mate, do they still die, or do they leave alive to come back next year?

The TROLLS come down to the river and take them home to eat

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I will find an answer for you when I go on fishing for the first time Smiley Tongue

Need Help? Let's chat.