cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water damage to smart phone

elhota
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I spilled some soup on my Huawei smart phone and now the screen display is messed up. When I turn it on it is pixelated and there are bands running from top to bottom.  And once the screen is on for while it gets very faded.  Other than the issues with the screen everything else on the phone works.  This happened several months ago.  I tried placing the phone in a container filled with rice for a few days but that didn't work.  In the past, I accidentally left my old Huawei phone (not smart phone) in the washer for a full cycle.  Initially the screen was faded but after placing in rice for a few days, eventually it went back to normal. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@benreiman wrote:

I've heard immersing in rice helps, but could be an urban legend

@benreiman for brief water contact, maybe; for dousing with soup--less likely.  Also, they mentioned this happened "several months ago", so it's doubtful rice would have any effect regardless of the type of liquid that was exposed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

benreiman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've heard immersing in rice helps, but could be an urban legend

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If the phone is still functioning, just replace the screen. A new phone may not be needed.

jaherne
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Soup is sticker than water. I could jokingly suggest that you run through a washer cyle and then put into a container of rice BUT it's better to have someone look at it and replace screen if needed.

@Staliger wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:
A new phone will fix it.

Or replace display.

+1 That phone needs a screen replacement. Just take it to your local smartphone repair place or if there is a ubreakifix location near.

VERYIrritated
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Cell phone service people can usually fix this. I found that there was a $25 minimum charge for trying and a larger sum if they could recover the data. Mine was similar (jazzy display) and I did try rice. It was recovered, except the volume buttons and I can live with that. The screen itself still has some marks but they are light and I do not wish to spend more money on it. As I understand it, the process is cleaning all the boards to remove junk and is pretty picky.

The folk I have used previously are at: https://www.cellphonerepair.com/north-calgary-ab/

and the guy at the place on 52nd Avenue N.W. near Northland Mall is good too.

If you can live with a model a few years old, there are used deals online too, - better for the planet.

@ShawnC13 wrote:
A new phone will fix it.

Or replace display.

@Triguy wrote:

You could try a few suggestions from this article.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-smartphone-dropped-in-water

I was going to offer some suggestions as well but with this happening a few months ago I am not sure there is much that can be done to fix this.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could try a few suggestions from this article.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fix-smartphone-dropped-in-water

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle
A new phone will fix it.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.