Did you mean: 

Nolan321
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jpar wrote:

Whatever works best for your needs where you are! Smiley Happy

@jpar hey you just said exactly what I did above you, but with about 95% fewer words. Well done!  😄  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hmm more data but not a reliable cell coverage vs everything works fine (and the data limit is fine for me). ... decisions decisions. 

Seems like you want more data and less cell coverage. You sure you dont just need a data stick and a net book?

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hopefully PM does support VoLTE soon

Season
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Yes it is. You have covered and really good speed. The promos are amazing. If you balance you get more than any other is offering for the price.

jpar

Whatever works best for your needs where you are! Smiley Happy

srlawren

@Nolan321 Freedom may be owned and operated by Shaw much like PM is owned and operated by Telus, but that in NO WAY means they are equivalent.  Telus has had many years and a ton of $ spent on building out their network into the mature, reliable state that it's in today.  Freedom by comparison is very young and their network coverage, while gradually improving, is nowhere near as good as the Telus network.  In some areas it may be just as good or even better, which may be great for you if you rarely leave those areas.  

As to your titular question:  "is public mobile really better?"  The answer, as always when comparing any two or more things is:  "it depends".  It depends on what your priorities are.  If price is the main consideration, or $/GB, and you need a lot of data, then PM may not be a great choice.  If you depend on instant* support and need the comfort of being able to call in and get help fairly quickly when issues arrive, PM may not be a great fit.  If you need some "frill" features like VoLTE, WiFi calling, visual voicemail, PM may not be a great fit.  If you need to be able to use your service outside of Canada and the USA, PM may not be a great fit.  But if you are looking for a balanced plan including talk, text, and some amount of data, PM plans offer a great value (with the pick-3 90 day discounts taken into account; even more so for promo plans).  If you depend on having a more reliable network that's going to, overall, get you signal in more places, and have a higher probability of calls succeeding (not perfect on any network, of course), then PM is a good fit.  

Anyway, those are just a few of the factors.  You have to weigh them all and make an educated decision as to what's important to you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Raven_Jet
If you find the data not enough, upgrade to the next plan. If you can't afford it, try out freedom. Let us know how you like it before coming back. It's risk free. Nobody is holding you here. You are not on contract. Try it out. See for yourself. See ya later Aligator.

SD08

@QTPie wrote:

I'm a Freedom customer who ported to Public mobile just under a week ago to get 4gb/$40 and boy am I glad I switched. Basically same plan I got with freedom except for the fact that I can actually use it. At work I would get no signal, can't receive calls, can't search for directions for deliveries, nada.

I'd say if you've used Freedom and it works for your lifestyle and what not, stick with it. But if you're ever stuck somewhere for more than 15 mins at a place that doesn't offer wifi, know that you could've been sitting there staring at your phone wishing you got service because with Freedom it's highly the case that you won't get reception.

^^ This.  This is the major reason I passed on Wind/Freedom when I was choosing my carrier.

QTPie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
It's hard to say, at the end of the day it's persona preference.

I'm a Freedom customer who ported to Public mobile just under a week ago to get 4gb/$40 and boy am I glad I switched. Basically same plan I got with freedom except for the fact that I can actually use it. At work I would get no signal, can't receive calls, can't search for directions for deliveries, nada.

I'd say if you've used Freedom and it works for your lifestyle and what not, stick with it. But if you're ever stuck somewhere for more than 15 mins at a place that doesn't offer wifi, know that you could've been sitting there staring at your phone wishing you got service because with Freedom it's highly the case that you won't get reception.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
True. It's all personal choices I guess I think the same way I wouldn't mind freedom if I have a good coverage around where I live.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.