cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the "switch to koodo" offer

rob79
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My mom needed a new phone and plan, so I just created a new koodo account for her using the promo code texted to me. $40/month for unlimited canada wide calling and 2GB of data.

I seleted "give me a new number" when I created the koodo plan, but had to enter my PM number as a "verification code". 

Will my PM account be ok or will my number be discontinued? I did not port my number, and don't want my PM account closed. I just used the promo code to get my mom a good deal. I want to keep my PM account just as it is.

18 REPLIES 18

rob79

@makkahn28 wrote:

Here's the question

IF you Open a NEW PM A/C, Will THAT be OK to port to Koodo Offer?

WHAT if They meant the Actual PM A/C that the Promo was Texted to?

They may Possibly deny the Promo IF you try to port a NEW PM A/C over to Koodo Promo IF the Promo was meant for that Particular PM A/C Promo was Texted to

Yeah, basically I explained the situation to the Koodo rep the same way I did here: I would just be saving a step if I could keep the "new" number with Koodo and forego porting. He said that b/c I used my existing PM number to get the deal that my PM number is now "linked" to the Koodo account basically.

So I'm guessing that means that it HAS to be the same number that gets ported in as was used during the verification process.

Here's the question

IF you Open a NEW PM A/C, Will THAT be OK to port to Koodo Offer?

WHAT if They meant the Actual PM A/C that the Promo was Texted to?

They may Possibly deny the Promo IF you try to port a NEW PM A/C over to Koodo Promo IF the Promo was meant for that Particular PM A/C Promo was Texted to

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rob79,Don't forget that you still have time to get a $10 account credit for you mom's SIM card if you register by the 10th, and enter a referal phone number during activation.

rob79

Okay, so I called Koodo and got an answer about this whole situation. The rep told me that if I don't port the number, after approximatly 2 months their system will flag the account and they won't be able to honour the $40/month 2GB plan. So that answers that.

Either way the result is the same, except now I've got to go buy a new PM SIM card to give my mom, which was what I originally planned to do. 

Seems silly really, still gonna have 2 account, 1 Koodo and 1 PM. Exact same outcome except I *have* to port my number to be given the $40 Koodo plan. Go figure.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I had nerver heard of the term "nefarious" until I read this thread this morning. Then only an hour later, I heard someone on a CBC Radio interview use it. - It had nothing to do with this thread BTW. 

Just weird for a Friday morning - well, weird to me anyways.

rob79

@makkahn28 wrote:

Personally, I think that in cases like this, THE CRTC/CCTS/Competition Bureau needs to REALLY Clarify these things, as the terms are so vague and abstract, ONE can have a somewhat valid argument on the merits.

IF they did clarify this, then the odds of having some crazy audit can be rendered moot

I agree. My mother is 70 years old and has never owned a mobile phone, the only reason I decided to get her one was for safety reasons, but she also loves her FB (at home on her tablet) so I thought "Why not get her the same plan I have?". So I was gonna port my number out to Koodo with the offer, then sign her up for the same PM plan I have and give her my "old" (purchased unlocked around this time last year) phone. 

Once I started the process and Koodo asked if I wanted to port my number or get a new one I was like "I'll just get a new one so I don't have to deal with the porting" and that was that.

Only later did I realize there might be some kind of extra verification. It's literally six of one half a dozen of the other. This just saves me from having to go out and get a new public mobile SIM and port my number...

After thinking about this today I decided that if they choose to take action against my account I'll definitely be filing a complaint.

So you moved to koodoo afterall?

Personally, I think that in cases like this, THE CRTC/CCTS/Competition Bureau needs to REALLY Clarify these things, as the terms are so vague and abstract, ONE can have a somewhat valid argument on the merits.

IF they did clarify this, then the odds of having some crazy audit can be rendered moot

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rob79, these were the promo conditions for the 6GB offer targetting the Fall 2016 PM Promo customers:

koodo terms conditions.jpg

Surprisingly vague as I suppose you could argue the definition of "migrating to". I would imagine you had similar terms for your promo offer.

Should you get questioned my guess is your PM account would be safe and your Koodo account would be switched to whatever current non-promo plan they have at the same or closest price.

@Luddite wrote:

@rob79 Mark a post as Solution to decrease the thread's lifespan. Robot wink

Finally, a suggestion that makes total sense!  Debating one word in the open when the topic should not have seen the light of day to begin with escapes logic.  Where is that head banging gif when I need it. 

@rob79 Mark a post as Solution to decrease the thread's lifespan. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rob79 I agree that "nefarious" was definitely over the top (come on, @will13am!).  But the intent of the message is correct in that the only reason Koodo gave you that plan (which is presumably better than the publicly available plans for anyone coming in off the street to activate) is that they wanted you to move from PM to Koodo. I have seen on the Koodo community someone posted that their plan was changed after not porting in their number, since they did not fulfil their side of the arrangement.  Your mileage will hopefully vary.  The only piece of advice I can offer is to try to avoid ever engaging Koodo for support (via phone, or Facebook messenger/Twitter DM), to avoid drawing attention to your account.  Take that advice for what it's worth (essentially hearsay).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@rob79 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@rob79, these are migration offers.  As a first step in signing up for the plan, you must use the qualifying phone number as part of verification that the offer applies to you.  Once you order the line and have it up and running, the expectation is that you port your number.  Your decision to bypass that step may subject your Koodo account to audit and potential action.  If your intentions are to do something nefarious, you did not do yourself a favor by posting on a public forum and asking others if it is okay for you to conveniently ignore the terms of service.  Personally, I can only council you on the activation process and say that you have done it right so far.  I reserve judgment on the porting step, it is your account and the risks are all yours. 

Well then, if doubling the amount of money I pay to Telus is "nefarious" then their share holders should probably be aware that they're deactivating valid, paid, accounts for a possibly illegal condition in the terms of service. So I guess posting my question on a public forum is a good way to make said shareholders aware of that.

If what you say is true, there shouldn't be an option to select a new number because honestly, how is is this any different than if I ported my # to koodo, gave my mom my old phone, and got her a new PM SIM? I appreciate your input but your answer is a bit over the top. Thanks.

I am not an employee of the company nor am I a shareholder.  So, I don't have any dogs in that race.  I am merely pointing out that the terms and conditions for these offers is migration from one Telus brand to another.  I am not saying what you are considering doing is illegal, it is outside of the terms and conditions and enforcement of the terms could potentially be an outcome.  How you choose to do conduct business with them is totally up to you. 

BTW, there are instances where carriers do take action against customers to the point of not doing business with them.  Go to hofo and read about a customer who experienced that with Telus. 

rob79

@will13am wrote:

@rob79, these are migration offers.  As a first step in signing up for the plan, you must use the qualifying phone number as part of verification that the offer applies to you.  Once you order the line and have it up and running, the expectation is that you port your number.  Your decision to bypass that step may subject your Koodo account to audit and potential action.  If your intentions are to do something nefarious, you did not do yourself a favor by posting on a public forum and asking others if it is okay for you to conveniently ignore the terms of service.  Personally, I can only council you on the activation process and say that you have done it right so far.  I reserve judgment on the porting step, it is your account and the risks are all yours. 

Well then, if doubling the amount of money I pay to Telus is "nefarious" then their share holders should probably be aware that they're deactivating valid, paid, accounts for a possibly illegal condition in the terms of service. So I guess posting my question on a public forum is a good way to make said shareholders aware of that.

If what you say is true, there shouldn't be an option to select a new number because honestly, how is is this any different than if I ported my # to koodo, gave my mom my old phone, and got her a new PM SIM? I appreciate your input but your answer is a bit over the top. Thanks.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Dipole_Moment
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your PM number was just for verficiation purposes. Your PM account will be fine.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@rob79, you should be fine. They needed your PM number for the verification code. But, if in doubt, send a message to the moderators. 

If you have a technical issue

(ie. you can’t receive calls, a feature isn’t working, or you need help with troubleshooting your device)

You can contact us through our Community Moderator Team here.  

Please note that our hours of Operation are 7 days a week, from

• Mon-Friday 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7:30pm (EDT)
Need Help? Let's chat.