cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“the cellular number you have called is not assigned” issue

_parth23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, I am currently having an issue where if a phone call is made to my phone I won’t be able to pick it up since it gives a message that the cellular number you have called is not assigned when my number is dialed from other phones I am not sure on what to do I need help!!!

31 REPLIES 31

@Joan008 wrote:

I finally port out my previous number, now it works with public mobile. Thank you!

For summary, if someone wants to transfer the old phone number with public . Don't cancel the phone number before activate public mobile SIM card! If it happens to be cancelled before activation and you would like to use the old number, try to call the previous carrier's customers service, get re-activation of the old number first. Then contact moderator to help solving the port request. 

Good to hear it's fixed. The number being active has always been required. If the number gets reactivated at the old carrier before the Public Mobile port request, no moderator will ne needed.

Joan008
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I finally port out my previous number, now it works with public mobile. Thank you!

For summary, if someone wants to transfer the old phone number with public . Don't cancel the phone number before activate public mobile SIM card! If it happens to be cancelled before activation and you would like to use the old number, try to call the previous carrier's customers service, get re-activation of the old number first. Then contact moderator to help solving the port request. 

@Joan008 

@Joan008 wrote:

Yes, I called them again. And they helped me to reactivate my previous phone number. Fido says it is Ok te reactivate in 6 days after account cancellation. 
Now my previous number is back. I can make phone call through public mobile SIM card and the number show as my previous number. However, I can't receive call, it's goes directly to my voicemail. 

That means your number has not finished porting yet.  The porting process can take up to 2-3 hours to be completed.  You should be able to call out and text out with your number.  Incoming call and texts won't work until the port is completed.  

@Joan008 wrote:

Yes, I called them again. And they helped me to reactivate my previous phone number. Fido says it is Ok te reactivate in 6 days after account cancellation. 
Now my previous number is back. I can make phone call through public mobile SIM card and the number show as my previous number. However, I can't receive call, it's goes directly to my voicemail. 

You need to ask Public Mobile again for porting. Open a ticket now by clicking the question mark. Include the Fido account number when talking to the moderators.

Joan008

@Joan008 wrote:

I talked to Fido, they said once been canceled, the old number can't be reactivated again. Do anyone has similar experience with Fido?

Call them back again. You were given very bad information. When you cancel a service (not porting out), they can reactivate by pressing a few buttons on their system. You don't even need a new sim as long as too much time hasn't passed if it's postpaud. 

If it's prepaid if account at Fido is still open, you only need to make a new payment. If it got closed from inactivity, they might still be able to get it back if you open a new account as long as the number hasn't been given to someone else.

Joan008

I talked to Fido, they said once been canceled, the old number can't be reactivated again. Do anyone has similar experience with Fido?

@Joan008 wrote:

Fido is the previous carrier. I've already started the activation process and submitted the request to use my old number 

Did you call Fido to reactivate? Do you mean that starter a Public activation or a Fido activation to get the number back? It has to be active at Fido again first.

Joan008

I think the number is canceled first then I request for the port

Joan008

Fido is the previous carrier. I've already started the activation process and submitted the request to use my old number 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Joan008  who is the old provider?   Maybe you can call them to get the number back to be able to port it.  Did you already start the port request and then cancelled the old number? 

@Joan008 wrote:

I canceled my previous number in the old carrier already! 
Now is there any way I can reuse my old phone number?

I can text and make phone call now, but not  receiving calls.

You would have to see if the old carrier will reactivate it. You can't port a cancelled phone number.

Joan008

I canceled my previous number in the old carrier already! 
Now is there any way I can reuse my old phone number?

I can text and make phone call now, but not  receiving calls.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Joan008 you should activate your sim card and pick a new number, then try it out and when everything works good then go in your self serve account and port your old number!  Don't forget a refferal code to get a 10$ credit on your new account and also if you activate a 35$ or more plan by Friday you'll get 10$ off a month for 6 months 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Joan008 no,  don't cancel your old number!  When you port it to public mobile it will cancel your old account usually. 

Joan008

If I cancel my number from the old carrier before I activate my SIM card in public mobile. Can I still use my previous number?

_parth23

Thank you very much this is the exact problem I am currently going though this really helped me out thanks 

CoolGe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Guess you tried to call your number from VOIP phone.

I had similar issue after ported my number last week, everything was OK, I could make outgoing call to cell number, landline or VOIP (e.g my fongo), I could receive call from cell phone or landline, BUT failed to call from VOIP, got same message. No worries, after two days I could receive call from VOIP

_parth23

No it doesn’t work 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Who is the calling carrier?  Just recently,  I was calling a number I had just ported over using Fongo.  I was able to call this ported number with other carriers I had at my disposal.  After a day, Fongo was also able to call that number.  So maybe wait and see.

After you received that message, your incoming call work or not?  

If still not working, then its a failed port in, only a moderator can fix it.

_parth23

I got a message saying that my port was successfully done 

_parth23

Thank you

_parth23

Ok thank you for letting me know 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@_parth23, Moderators have been quite busy past couple of days.  They will get to you eventually.  Hold tight.

szymon247

Since I don't know the circumstances, there are 3 possibilities:

1. It happens if you cancel your service at your previous carrier before completing your move of your number to Public Mobile

2. It happens if your plan(account) is inactive

3. It's just a glitch or porting complication and none of the above are true, which is the only case that the Moderators will be able to resolve

_parth23

I’ve tried contacting a moderator but I still got no response and it has been about 4 hours

_parth23

I got a text message saying the port was finished successfully

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Are you new, and does your phone number still work at your old provider?  

If porting, it might take little time, as long as it works at your older provider, the port is not completed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@_parth23, As I mentioned on your other post, you should get in touch with the moderators via private message.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Need Help? Let's chat.