cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texts & calls work but data does not

n00b
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I activated my new public mobile sim card a few days ago and my calls and texts work but when I turn on my data nothing happens. It doesn't connect to the network at all. My account says I've used 5mb of my 1gb but it has never actually connected and my phone says I've used 0mb. Should I try a different sim card??

21 REPLIES 21

@Korth wrote:

But doesn't Data use the other bands?  As many as the device can handle and the station will allow? 

I've met phones before which could do Voice/Text but couldn't do any Data links.

Every single frequency band, whether on 3G or LTE, can be used for data.

@Korth wrote:

@sheytoon

But doesn't Data use the other bands?  As many as the device can handle and the station will allow? 

I've met phones before which could do Voice/Text but couldn't do any Data links.

Data can be used on the "3g"/HSPA network, just as voice and texts can.  However, only data and texting can used on the LTE network, while voice is not possible.

Since phone calls are working, this isn't a case of a incompatible phone. LTE is not required for data.

@sheytoon

@Korth the frequencies don't matter since voice calls are working fine.

There are nearly a dozen known variants of the device, and (as far as I can tell) none of them fully support all Telus radio frequencies/bands.  Although they're apparently all built on the same hardware so they'd only be locked out by firmware or software.

Which variant of the phone do you have?

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

And can you test your PM SIM card in another device? 

@Jb456 wrote:

Just trying to provide a suggestion to OP based on old threads.

It would be at his discretion to try it or not.

Other than that only option would be contacting the moderators via SIMon the chat bot.

@kselmak wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

PLEASE SEE THIS OLD THREAD REGARDING LG G4.

Person says nothing for data works until a factory reset. I suggest you back up your phone so you don't loose your contacts, etc and do a factory reset.

See this thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Unable-to-get-data-working-on-lg-g4/m...

On my old lg x power even factory reset didn't work

Oh absolutely, I'm not discouraging at all to try and I hope it works as it would probably be faster then waiting for mods (now they are probably pretty busy with all that 1969 stuff). Just heads up it may not and not to feel to bad eventually it will work, those definitely work with pm after some tweaking.

Cheers

Just trying to provide a suggestion to OP based on old threads.

It would be at his discretion to try it or not.

Other than that only option would be contacting the moderators via SIMon the chat bot.

@kselmak wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Person says nothing for data works until a factory reset. I suggest you back up your phone so you don't loose your contacts, etc and do a factory reset.

See this thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Unable-to-get-data-working-on-lg-g4/m...

@Jb456 wrote:

See this thread:

See this thread:

Lg phones have apn settings issues

You can try modifying the settings didn't work for me for days, neither network reset nor phone reset worked

Just contact mods through Simon they will be able to help

Have make model and imei handy

Best luck

@n00b 

Thanks for the additional information.

What about factory reset?  Many LG phones need factory reset before data starts working.

You can also try the SIM card in another phone just to determine whether hardware setup issue versus PM Servivce issues.  

n00b

its an old LG G4 that I got a new PM sim card for a few days ago. I've done everything that was suggested in the thread since then because I saw these suggestions on other threads. none of those things have helped

@n00b 

More details about your particular situation would be helpful.  What exactly did your try?  

Which model phone?  Did your check your APN settings?  Etc.  

n00b

yeah, I did this a few times over the past few days and nothing has ever changed

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Glad it fixed your issue 😁

@YVR wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Along with suggestions previously given to you by other posters..

Here's the APN settings check if they match the ones on your phone.

Check APN settings on the phone..

They should be as followed.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Was having a problem with what happens to be an LG photo with no data on public also.

SIMon does not provide everything as above for the APN settings.  Started working after following this post with this line that was missing

Data is working now 

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jb456 wrote:

Was having a problem with what happens to be an LG phone with no data on public also.

SIMon does not provide everything as above for the APN settings.  Started working after following this post with this line that was missing

Data is working now 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Also what phone are you using?

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

New phone? Or an existing phone that you used on another network and switched over?

Probably need to do a reset of the network settings.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Are you on lg phone?

Do you have access to someone else's phone where you know Telus data is working?

It's most likely the phone issue

I couldn't fix it I kept changing apn settings. Finally I contacted moderators and they pushed settings through sms. You can contact them through Simon, press on the little question sign in the corner.

You will have to provide make model and if I remember correctly IMEI which you can find in settings of your phone.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@n00b wrote:

So I activated my new public mobile sim card a few days ago and my calls and texts work but when I turn on my data nothing happens. It doesn't connect to the network at all. My account says I've used 5mb of my 1gb but it has never actually connected and my phone says I've used 0mb. Should I try a different sim card??

Do the simple thing first.  Enable data.  Restart your phone with PM SIM card in your phone to let the auto-configure your APN setting.

Which phone are you using?

If you are using a LG phone, do a network reset after changing provider to get your data working again.

Need Help? Let's chat.