cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

`@` symbol being appended to the end of some text messages

adobochad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I am experiencing an extremely weird issue that I'm not sure is the cause.

At the end of some(not all) text messages, there is an @ symbol being appended to the end of the text. So for example, a text would be like "Hi there @" 

This is occuring from multiple people who have sent me texts, and the @ symbol is there.

My current setup:

Provider: Public Mobile

Phone: Google pixel 2 xl

SMS service: Textra.

The weird part, is that it's coming from not all messages, so it's not like every message I receive has that appending of the @ symbol.

I've tried resetting my phone, and that doesn't seem to do the trick, so I'm wondering, could this possibly be the carrier service? I really have no idea, thanks!

If anyone could diagnose, that would be much appreciated, thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@adobochad wrote:

Thanks! I switched it to the default app, and within the text, I can still see the @ symbol being displayed, I'm thinking it's now either my phone, or the carrier. I'm curious, why would you think that the keyboard settings could affect it? 

I am using Swiftkey as well, if that changes anything.

After switching the SMS app did you test it with a new text? The reason I mentioned the keyboard was I vaguely remember having an similar issue in the past and it had something to do with my keyboard (might be wothwhile switching to the Google KB as a test.)

Hope you figure it out soon.

adobochad

Both OS and Textra are up to date!

Good idea, trying to clear Textra cache, and rebooting, will let you know if there's anything.

adobochad

Thanks! I switched it to the default app, and within the text, I can still see the @ symbol being displayed, I'm thinking it's now either my phone, or the carrier. I'm curious, why would you think that the keyboard settings could affect it? 

I am using Swiftkey as well, if that changes anything.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@adobochad 

Hello. Check to see if your OS is up to date, along with your Textra app. Also, clear the cache of the Textra app, then reboot phone. If still occurring, uninstall Textra as a test, just use the native SMS app..

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@adobochad wrote:

Hi all, I am experiencing an extremely weird issue that I'm not sure is the cause.

At the end of some(not all) text messages, there is an @ symbol being appended to the end of the text. So for example, a text would be like "Hi there @" 

This is occuring from multiple people who have sent me texts, and the @ symbol is there.

My current setup:

Provider: Public Mobile

Phone: Google pixel 2 xl

SMS service: Textra.

The weird part, is that it's coming from not all messages, so it's not like every message I receive has that appending of the @ symbol.

I've tried resetting my phone, and that doesn't seem to do the trick, so I'm wondering, could this possibly be the carrier service? I really have no idea, thanks!

If anyone could diagnose, that would be much appreciated, thank you!

Can you switch your SMS app with the default Google and see if it happens. If no, then the issue is related to Textra if it still happens then the issue might be related with your keyboard settings.

Need Help? Let's chat.