cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange text

dabr
Mayor / Maire

I just received this strange text saying I have an e-transfer supposedly from Freedom Mobile and asks me to click on a link (I don't click on links sent from anyone I don't know).  Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has received this too.  It's the second spammy text I've received within the hour, the other one from someone called Sue from BC Strong asking for a response about pipelines.  Not responding to either, but annoyed about it though.

18 REPLIES 18

@darlicious wrote:

OMG... @Korth  really?!! Nobody absolutely no reputable business will send you a link to give you money back in a text. 

Perhaps, it isn't done by text message, but Interac E-mail Transfer collection is based on clicking on a link in an e-mail message to collect money.  The difference is that you would know that it's coming.  Even then, it might be a good idea to practice copy and pasting a link instead of clicking on it. This is because the displayed web address link is not necessarily the site that clicking takes you to.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Using any phone number to text with is easier than what one may think. I have VoIP.ms for a home phone. You have to do some set up at VoIP.ms and on my side at him on my Linksys VoIP box. I can program any number I want valid, made up, invalid to show as caller ID. Also I can set up an app on my iPhone called Zoiper to do same and I have to be on wifi (haven’t tried data yet or with incorrect caller ID) to call from anywhere in the world with wifi and it would appear I was at home. And the caller ID  is much easier to change on the app. And I can also text to any number from the VoIP.ms site. And responses of the text are emailed to me.  If I answer the email, it will do a text back. 

Have tried and changed my caller ID, no.  Have I tried to see if the text would show my caller ID or my real number, no. But I imagine some one CAN do it. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Deallocated phone numbers from terminated accounts must sit around for a while before they can be reassigned.

I thought the minimum wait was 180 days but some sources claim 60 days, 90 days, one year, longer. These sources don't cite their sources. 

I can't find any details about this in CCTS/CRTC wireless codes. Nor in my PM (Telus) contract. Not anywhere I've looked through any Canadian carrier websites or legal stuff. I think the "industry standard" is just whatever de-facto business practice they find workable, abandoned phone numbers probably have higher turnaround times in high-density high-demand areas. It seems like a detail nobody in the industry wants to define as a fixed rule and nobody outside the industry has measured through methodical testing. Even the hackers don't really know how far the limit can be pushed. 

https://www.telesign.com/blog/post/number-deactivation-and-the-recycled-phone-number-dilemma/

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Just go to Freedom Mobile, show them the text. 

If they sent it then click it... maybe a killer deal, who knows... although I agree it seems fishy.

If they didn't send it then maybe they can shut it down, maybe your selfless social conduct might save the next guy from being victimized.

You can always do a whois or DNS lookup on web domains... search for Freedom first to see what sort of info they share, then search for your clickylink and see how it compares. I doubt that a company like Shaw would use a GoDaddy proxy to hide their ownership or a platform like Geocities to run their internet marketing department. 

OMG... @Korth  really?!! Nobody absolutely no reputable business will send you a link to give you money back in a text.  @Obice  has someone elses old number which explains the more legitimate sounding text. Pm being a prepaid service it will recycle thru numbers a little more than most providers  so in choosing a number especially an older exchange prefix will result in a larger number of calls and texts from spammers, scammers and regular wrong numbers. Btw....the cra isn't going to prosecute you for unpaid taxes if you don't send them prepaid visa cards and that Nigerian Prince who needs help transferring $27million in trust funds doesn't need access to your bank account...nor does the justice dept. need your help in catching money launderers/ drug smugglers at the border after determining that the money in your account is clean.

To clarify something here I got my number from Fido, so it is possible that it was someone else's number before it got to me except I have had this number almost a year now and I've only just started getting scam calls and texts. I guess there is some sort of grace period before companies sell you out. Man LOL

@Korth wrote:

If they sent it then click it... maybe a killer deal, who knows... although I agree it seems fishy.

If they didn't send it then maybe they can shut it down, maybe your selfless social conduct might save the next guy from being victimized.

You can always do a whois or DNS lookup on web domains... search for Freedom first to see what sort of info they share, then search for your clickylink and see how it compares. I doubt that a company like Shaw would use a GoDaddy proxy to hide their ownership or a platform like Geocities to run their internet marketing department. 

OMG... @Korth  really?!! Nobody absolutely no reputable business will send you a link to give you money back in a text.  @Obice  has someone elses old number which explains the more legitimate sounding text. Pm being a prepaid service it will recycle thru numbers a little more than most providers  so in choosing a number especially an older exchange prefix will result in a larger number of calls and texts from spammers, scammers and regular wrong numbers. Btw....the cra isn't going to prosecute you for unpaid taxes if you don't send them prepaid visa cards and that Nigerian Prince who needs help transferring $27million in trust funds doesn't need access to your bank account...nor does the justice dept. need your help in catching money launderers/ drug smugglers at the border after determining that the money in your account is clean.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Obice   Good you deleted it but kept a record for yourself.   The number that sent me the text is 443 349 2813. Apparently it's a number from Maryland, although that doesn't always mean anything these days.

I'm guessing these operators have quite a few different numbers they work from and use for their phishing schemes. 

The unfortunate part is that they will get people who get taken in by these messages and volunteer their personal sensitive information in the process of responding.

Obice

@dabr wrote:

I just received this strange text saying I have an e-transfer supposedly from Freedom Mobile and asks me to click on a link (I don't click on links sent from anyone I don't know).  Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has received this too.  It's the second spammy text I've received within the hour, the other one from someone called Sue from BC Strong asking for a response about pipelines.  Not responding to either, but annoyed about it though.

I got a text about a month ago, maybe 2, and it said that whoever sent me the text had the money they owed me... I deleted it not before screenshotting it for record keeping.

Screenshot_Messaging_20190803-213356 (Unreported).png

To update, since the thread was responded to recently.  I have forwarded the text message about an e-transfer to Interac's fraud alert link as I'm quite sure it is a fraudelent message.

Normally I only receive phone calls from unknown numbers, which are subsequently blocked, so it was unusual to receive two texts within half an hour of each other (probably a coincident), from unknown parties.  I'm happy to report that I haven't received any further texts from either of these, or other, unknown numbers.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who responded and offered suggestions and I will agree that the best solution is to either ignore or block the callers if they become a nuisance.

jonfirlotte

That's definitely a scam, who knows what taping that link could have done.

88cranston

@dabr wrote:

Google 800 Notes with phone number from Freedom. The Sue call is probably a political call. If you don’t deal with Freedom.....I would block both numbers. 

terrybev
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There are many scams out there like that, if you unsure, phone the company that they are pretending to be and find out for sure

Bubbly100
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Typical scam text, best not to reply at all and block the number. I get them all the time for all sorts of different banks. 

NW1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It’s probably a good idea to avoid this as others suggested. Make sure to never give out banking details to untrusted websites. If you purchase stuff online using an account like PayPal is also a good idea just to be extra safe.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

I would suggest block and delete.  There's always going to be some of these going around.

Yes a good idea!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@RossN wrote:

@dabr You are wise to avoid them

Hopefully, most people are wise enough not to respond:)

@dabr wrote:

I would suggest block and delete.  There's always going to be some of these going around.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@dabr You are wise to avoid them

Need Help? Let's chat.