cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

strange text

I just received this strange text saying I have an e-transfer supposedly from Freedom Mobile and asks me to click on a link (I don't click on links sent from anyone I don't know).  Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has received this too.  It's the second spammy text I've received within the hour, the other one from someone called Sue from BC Strong asking for a response about pipelines.  Not responding to either, but annoyed about it though.

Mayor / Maire

Re: strange text

@dabr You are wise to avoid them

@dabr wrote:

I just received this strange text saying I have an e-transfer supposedly from Freedom Mobile and asks me to click on a link (I don't click on links sent from anyone I don't know).  Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has received this too.  It's the second spammy text I've received within the hour, the other one from someone called Sue from BC Strong asking for a response about pipelines.  Not responding to either, but annoyed about it though.

I would suggest block and delete.  There's always going to be some of these going around.

Mayor / Maire

@RossN wrote:

@dabr You are wise to avoid them

Hopefully, most people are wise enough not to respondSmiley Happy

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

I would suggest block and delete.  There's always going to be some of these going around.

Yes a good idea!

NW1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It’s probably a good idea to avoid this as others suggested. Make sure to never give out banking details to untrusted websites. If you purchase stuff online using an account like PayPal is also a good idea just to be extra safe.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Typical scam text, best not to reply at all and block the number. I get them all the time for all sorts of different banks. 

There are many scams out there like that, if you unsure, phone the company that they are pretending to be and find out for sure

Mayor / Maire

Just go to Freedom Mobile, show them the text. 

If they sent it then click it... maybe a killer deal, who knows... although I agree it seems fishy.

If they didn't send it then maybe they can shut it down, maybe your selfless social conduct might save the next guy from being victimized.

You can always do a whois or DNS lookup on web domains... search for Freedom first to see what sort of info they share, then search for your clickylink and see how it compares. I doubt that a company like Shaw would use a GoDaddy proxy to hide their ownership or a platform like Geocities to run their internet marketing department. 

@dabr wrote:

Google 800 Notes with phone number from Freedom. The Sue call is probably a political call. If you don’t deal with Freedom.....I would block both numbers.