cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card not being recognized in a new phone

JessieB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey I’ve been trying for approximately 8 hours to get my SIM card to work in a Samsung s8 I bought.. Ive even changed the apn settings to what that should be but it is not working and support for public mobile is garbage. what Can I do to fix this before I switch providers 

10 REPLIES 10

teeth1234
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This happened to me as well. Your phone is likely locked by your current provider and that is why it is not recognizing your sim. You'll need to get it unlocked from your current provider in order for the public mobile sim to be recognized. Mobile devices have to be unlocked free of charge so you'll just need to contact your current provider and get it unlock and you should be good. 

If nothing is working, checking apn will do nothing.  Is the phone unlocked? Any error message?  Try your sim in another phone and also try a friend's Public sim in your phone.

You can already write a message to the moderator here...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

and explain your problem. And during the waiting time try the tricks the others can tell you..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JessieB  - what is the error you are getting?  Is there a message?

EDIT:  just noticed that you said SIM not recognized

Any chance the phone is locked?  Was it new?

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
Try taking the SIM card out, clear the network cache, restart the phone, and put the SIM back in.

JessieB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’ve been trying to reach support but the only thing I can reach is the robot... to message the moderator team says it’s not found... in my new phone it says SIM card not recognized.. yet it transferred my contacts over.. I’m beyond frustrated at this point 

JoeFrankRoy

apn settings is for data

where did you get the phone

are you sure the phone is not on the black list

did you change the sim card and make it active in your self serve account

JoeFrankRoy

have you checked the sim in another phone? 

JoeFrankRoy

does it say no sim card?

JoeFrankRoy

@JessieB wrote:

Hey I’ve been trying for approximately 8 hours to get my SIM card to work in a Samsung s8 I bought.. Ive even changed the apn settings to what that should be but it is not working and support for public mobile is garbage. what Can I do to fix this before I switch providers 

@JessieB  support is not garbage, you can send them a private message

otherwise, try putting a pc of tape on the sim 

Need Help? Let's chat.