cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I port my old number from fido now? or wait for few more days.

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Since I know all the Mods are busy at this time, maybe later is better?

14 REPLIES 14

macwindows
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Vickel

Appreciate your suggestions and help.

I would like to add my two cents for your comment "Most of the problems with porting are with people putting incorrect info" is half true. That may not be the case for most of the people.

have to port from Koodo pay as you go (and during activation it is suggested to create new number, hence have new PM number). Now in the self serve, it fails at phonbe numebr "Check Eligibility" (it will not proceed with erro "We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance.").

No question of putting incorrect info. I have tried numerous tricks (clear cache, log out and log in, again clear cache), but do not work.

Have to contact moderator and wait in queue for moderator help.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I agree with that info. I've done a few without problems.

crazycolby

Got it, thank you.

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@crazycolby
Just port the number now
Remember to fill In the port page properly.
1. Check off the box "I am authorized" first
2. Then fill in the account number section. No dashes or spaces
3. Fill in the name box with in caps exactly like how it shows on your fido account
4. Enter alternative number (any number except the one you are porting) no dash or spaces
5. Double and triple check the account number and name are correct
6. Submit
Browser may look like it's frozen, just wait till you get a message back
I have done 3 ports. 2 from rogers, 1 from wind, no issues.
Most of the problems with porting are with people putting incorrect info.
Account number, and name is all you need

Good luck

amills

Let me try to clarify.  It's not just a cost thing if the porting fails and you can't use neither carrier.  It's a service issue.  Yes, when the customer service is back to normal and they are available then yes everyone should use the self serve first.  Because if something goes wrong Customer Service is there and we will experience very little downtime.   As it is right now we can experience 1/2 a month of downtime if the porting doesn't work.  With what I have gone through, if i was doing a new number I wouldn't take that chance.  At least not with all the delays going on.

The problem with waiting longer before requesting the port in to Public Mobile is purely a matter of cost.  Until the porting is complete, you will continue to pay for both Public Mobile and Fido services.  I really do understand the concerns that people are raising and the possible need to get a moderator to intervene and the possible wait times.  I just find it premature to go straight to the moderators for something that is supposed to be done by the customers themselves to through self-serve, especially when no problem has yet occured, and that will probably not even occur.

If you wish to wait, the moderator quues should start to shorten, and after you request the port, at least there will hopefully be less of a wait time involved if you do encounter a problem.

@amills wrote:

@computergeek541  Because it seems that the act of porting could be locking accounts out and therefore no service.

I'm not going to deny that there are many unacceptable issues that Public Mobile is going through.  But this is a self-serve carrier and customers are expected to go through the normal self-serve procedures.  Going ahead and contacting moderators for something that is suppsoed to be done by the customers themselves is only going to add to the queue, for something that most likely isn't going to cause any problem.  Without even trying to do it him/herself and going straight to the mods will make other customers wait longer, and in the end increase Public Mobile costs and prices that are charged to consumers. 

jmmorris

I just moved from fido, right and end of Fido billing period. I just dropped my Fido number and went with a new number - just to avoid problems with either carrier. 

amills

@computergeek541  Because it seems that the act of porting could be locking accounts out and therefore no service.

@amills wrote:

If I were you I would send them a private message today and get in the que and then port when you get a hold of them to be safe.

I disagree with that. Why would someone get in the queue when in this thread, we have no indication that he/she has even tried the normal self-serve method to port?  I'll go a step further and say that if someone does that, he/she should be charged extra.

amills

If I were you I would send them a private message today and get in the que and then port when you get a hold of them to be safe.

crazycolby

thank you, then I will wait.

alainv
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm going on 14 days waiting here. Assuming they're porting on a first-come first-served basis... yeah, I would wait.

cheeseburger
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would wait at least 2 weeks given the current backlog.

Need Help? Let's chat.