cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"banned" when using hotspot?

smdannie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I tried to visit the forums page while connected though a hotspot (public mobile data) the page said I was banned. I then connected through my own phone's public data and can login fine. Is this normal? Why is this happening? Thx

7 REPLIES 7

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

How many folks share a IP address at any time from PM/Telus? Is it tower dependent in any way or regional? 

I think computergeek541 is referring to the "leasing" of ip addresses from isp's. I would guess it's a regional DHCP server leasing out ip addresses. For site managers, blocking an ip address is a way to block that user. So then sometime else someone else picks up their leased ip address in that region which happens to be one that a whole other place has in a block list...here.

Yeah, I'm in Atlantic Canada and any IP I'm assigned resolves back to Montreal so that must be their closest POP? 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@smdannieThe forum page is hosted and managed by Lithium / Khoros at their servers in the States. It is a seperate entity from Public Mobile. If it is a public hotspot, it sounds like somone did something bad from that IP address and Lithium banned that IP. It is seperate from Public Mobile selfserve and web pages though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

How many folks share a IP address at any time from PM/Telus? Is it tower dependent in any way or regional? 

I think computergeek541 is referring to the "leasing" of ip addresses from isp's. I would guess it's a regional DHCP server leasing out ip addresses. For site managers, blocking an ip address is a way to block that user. So then sometime else someone else picks up their leased ip address in that region which happens to be one that a whole other place has in a block list...here.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@smdannie wrote:

When I tried to visit the forums page while connected though a hotspot (public mobile data) the page said I was banned. I then connected through my own phone's public data and can login fine. Is this normal? Why is this happening? Thx

There are some Telus IP addresses that block members from logging in.  The only remedy is to disconnect your mobile data and then reconnect to get a new IP address. Likely, someone has misbehaved on this websited previously who previously used that address.  I see this error message every once in a while.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@smdannie wrote:

Could you provide a screen capture so we can see the message?

Maybe clear cache on the connected device. Maybe try a different browser. Hotspot should work fine. Can you visit other sites from that device?

brady2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

the speeds might be less becase it has to share it and its on a mobile network so it might have been slower so it cant run the page so when you turn on mobile data only it will be faster

Need Help? Let's chat.