cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The future of PM !?" - what we are still missing is some statement about this from PM management.

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What we are still missing after the "infamous fiasco",

is some sort of statement from the PM management about the future of Public Mobile.

PM is heavily community driven - in fact the most active  online community members aka oracles, as well as us simple mortals,

are helping PM management  to run the company for free!

So, I think, the community deserves to know.

All sort of rumours are circulating now- from PM being shut down, to Rewards taken away, to upcoming elimination of the LTE speeds etc. Definitely not a healthy environment for most of PM users.

Please, PM, enlighten us ASAP! 

31 REPLIES 31

el56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@MVPwrote:

What we are still missing after the "infamous fiasco",

is some sort of statement from the PM management about the future of Public Mobile.

PM is heavily community driven - in fact the most active  online community members aka oracles, as well as us simple mortals, are helping PM management  to run the company for free! 

That's an important point. Though it is not completely free (cost and maintenance of the forum software, a few paid mods and the community rewards program), there is no question that this community enables PM to run its customer support for far less than its competitors (and other Telus brands). Indeed this is a big part of PM's marketing pitch.

Make no mistake. Telus is accountable to nobody but its shareholders. It owes this community nothing, except enough encouragement and infrastructure to keep its current levels of end-user help. Should this community be outraged by what PM does, it can simply stop providing this cheap customer support. The oracles stop oracling and the helpers stop helping. It would be very hard to implement since the people here are great and by nature want to help others. But such a tactic would be extremely powerful.

As for the future of PM, it's not rocket science. It's not going anywhere but it's clearly not interested in keeping the big-data-users. Look at the current website and plans that are being promoted. Telus is repositioning PM as its bargain basement brand, designed to compete with Rogers' Chatr and Bell's LuckyMobile in this fairly new lowest tier. What's promoted and pre-designed are the super cheap plans with slower speeds  or zero-data. Basic 4G speed is considered top-of-the-line. Meanwhile, legacy customers are getting either price increases or threats of increases.

So I woudn't worry about the longevity of PM, but  it will be increasingly disinterested in big-data users like those who signed on in 2016. Forget international roaming, PM's target users aren't even expected to roam much outside their city (hence Lucky's "zone" plans). So for me, as described elsewhere, the writing was on the wall and it was easy to make the decision to go to Koodo once its offer came.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Sergeywrote:

And I do not care if Telus forces me to leave them. I am not attracted by fraudulent benefits to go - $ 100 or $ 200. Why should I pay more?
People are looking for more gigabytes sometimes without any reason. Many have only greed - to get more GB. WHy?

OK. PM will increse the price/ SAy "Good Bye to PM" and move out...

That's it

I pay only $37 a month...

They try to push me to pay $46? WHy I have to like that price

I dont care abot GB

I have a small and it is enough.

About the PM future...

PM may have the closure as a future or can continue their business.

Telus decided to push out a part of the users anf to devide us by enticing the carrot with mustard inside.

And it's sad to see how people have not realized this and they are goind without thinking.

@Sergey no one can force you, just like to give a heads up, try and reads the news, all Cellular company will hiking the prices up

Sergey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

And I do not care if Telus forces me to leave them. I am not attracted by fraudulent benefits to go - $ 100 or $ 200. Why should I pay more?
People are looking for more gigabytes sometimes without any reason. Many have only greed - to get more GB. WHy?

OK. PM will increse the price/ SAy "Good Bye to PM" and move out...

That's it

I pay only $37 a month...

They try to push me to pay $46? WHy I have to like that price

I dont care abot GB

I have a small and it is enough.

About the PM future...

PM may have the closure as a future or can continue their business.

Telus decided to push out a part of the users anf to devide us by enticing the carrot with mustard inside.

And it's sad to see how people have not realized this and they are goind without thinking.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

you're welcome @MVP !!!

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

MVP

@Mary_Mwrote:

Hey @MVP, you're very welcome \

To be honest, these are questions I can't answer because I don't know - I'm simply a community moderator - we aren't aware of any decisions that are taken in the back-end. Sorry about that 😕

Mary

Thank you, Mary, appreciate  the honest response anyway!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @MVP, you're very welcome \

To be honest, these are questions I can't answer because I don't know - I'm simply a community moderator - we aren't aware of any decisions that are taken in the back-end. Sorry about that 😕

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

MVP

@Mary_Mwrote:

Hey @MVP,

thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

We can't stress this enough - Public Mobile is NOT closing down - we're here to stay!  Please disregard any rumor you hear, I can assure you they are simply but that - rumors 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

Dear Mary @Mary_M, thank you very much for your response. I'm sure you strive for a better future  of PM, the same way  as I do, as an enthusiastic  and satisfied  customer.

I'm  sure PM is here to stay. I'm guessing my subj. question  was more  narrowly about the destiny of the "Fall2016 promo" plan:

1)   are we going to keep the same price indefinitely, as was promised?

2)   are rewards  here to stay?

3)   is LTE-full-speed (no 3G-like speed restrictions)  here to stay?

Would highly appreciate if you could/"in the position" to comment on the three items above!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @MVP,

thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

We can't stress this enough - Public Mobile is NOT closing down - we're here to stay!  Please disregard any rumor you hear, I can assure you they are simply but that - rumors 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

MVP

So, I'm still interested in the answer to the question in subj!

Any response, PM?

PhoneSeeker

@srlawrenwrote:

@PhoneSeeker sounds like it's time to stop beating the proverbial dead horse, cut your losses, and port your service elsewhere.  Unless of course you have already--I'm the first to admit I did not even attempt to keep up with the posts over the last several days--so if you already mentioned that you left, then my apologies for having missed it.  

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a customer anymore. I'm going to stick with my PM plan until the bitter end. 

If you sit idly by, nothing will change. There is a massive disconnect between management and customers. The whole idea behind PM's operating structure was to keep rates down by allowing customers to help customers and having a self-serve model. Then they planned on raising the rates by $10/month which is a slap in the face to all customers that helped contribute to the functioning of this self-help/self-service model. Sure, people could migrate to the $40 Koodo plan, but not all people on these pre-paid plans would pass the credit check, such as those from other countries, students, etc.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PhoneSeeker sounds like it's time to stop beating the proverbial dead horse, cut your losses, and port your service elsewhere.  Unless of course you have already--I'm the first to admit I did not even attempt to keep up with the posts over the last several days--so if you already mentioned that you left, then my apologies for having missed it.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

PhoneSeeker

deleted post.......

@dr-et @Luddite

Kids like spending money!

My parents forced me to get a job so I could earn money to spend on my cellphone, though they dollar-matched what I paid.  Simpler times, my epic "dumbphone" gave me the freedom and luxury of actually being able to talk to people without using a landline, lol, no such thing as mobile data back then and the game(s) on your phone sucked after a while and texts weren't as rampant (or clandestine) because ... well ... T9, lol.

I plan to continue this fine tradition with my own kids, one day.  The monetized communication commodity always changes as technology pushes frontiers, but the concept remains constant.  Money is more precious when you have to work for it (and more limited when you're student) so placing costs into context encourages exploring free/cheap alternatives or prioritizing what really matters.

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Allow your wallet to do the talking. That's what brought me to PM and if they get rid of what I like about PM, my wallet will speak again.

@dr-et $ Aggro with my kids was around "designer" labels; obviousy waaaay before cell phones. Only resolved when we, parents, decided an a fixed amount for each (basic) item and they had to top up from their own savings/earnings. Only 1 of 3 still insisted on the designers'.

Of course as a mom she has since joined my philosophy! Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dr-et

i agree with you,

the problem for me is that i have four different accounts with them .

its a huge increase per annum if the increase had gone through.

yes we will vote with our wallet but the pressure on one especially from ones kids is high especially regarding data/speeds.

i am rather pessimistic that somebody else will offer something better as it has been shown that the telcos are acting an oligopoly same as the petrol companies.

The fine are of brute-force haggling ...

Get a quote.  Go to competitor, show quote, say "can you beat this offer?", etc.

@mimmowrote:

just to add to @ShawnC13  even with the increase my plan was still cheaper than moving to koodo.  my wife's was about the same.  I decided i would wait till the last possible moment to switch to:

1) see how many referals i lost  

2) see if any competitors would welome un happy PM cusomers with a special promo

3) use up the most of my prepaid airtime before switching to maximise the $100 incentive

I'm staying put till i find a better deal, when that day comes then, it was fun but time to go.  I have no doubt changes are coming.  we can speculate as much as we wanta, but we will never be told anything till it happens. 

Me as well I was waiting for the competitors to show up with an offer that would be a bit interesting. One good thing was the fact the I am already past the first 30 days so I had 58+ days left on plan and 30 days to decide whether jump or not.

Unlike both the gentlemen above Man Wink Man Wink I was facing an increase of about 4-5$+tax  a month so I was really angry, and becasue my life has enough stress already I decided to deal with this stress 15 days before it happened, thank God I did not have to wait until then.

Got a targeted offer from Videotron the day of tthe change but it just was not very convincing, hoping for better deal from them

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I guess we can all be armchair quarter backs and speculate an outcome.  With the turmoil only a few days old, I don't think Telus knows exactly what's next and when.  Remember this migration was a precision attack on 2016 fall promo customers only.  In fact those with the $120, 6 gigs, 90 day plans were not included.  To suggest a surgical strike against one segment of the customer base as a signal that this is the beginning of the end for the franchise is fear mongering.   Have they given up on moving the promo people out of Public Mobile, not likely.  Will the next attempt be as draconian, not likely unless enough move out on their own accord to the extent that what remains is small.  It must not be forgotten the migration offer was not totally bad.  The ones that stood to lose big time were those with large rewards.  Who know the size of this population.  Most of us were caught up in the threat of a 25% increase if you don't move to Koodo.  I sense there will be a retooling of this threat for the next attempt.  That is of course if the migration that will take place over the next 30 days is such that the rewards are effectively wiped out.  With nothing to lose, these people may be drawn out to Koodo by the big vortex.

Regardless of outcome today or tomorrow, I will continue to look after my wallet as first priority.  As much as we are uncertain of Telus next move, they are equally uncertain of our next move.  Maybe Fido will come along and pay me to take their service.  Isn't life unpredictable and exciting?  Until it's a diary entry, I can't say with certainty what will happen tomorrow.  There will be lots of speculation and discussion over the next 30 days and beyond.  Let's all stay flexible and respond the best we can to evolving market conditions. 

@MVPwrote:

@RLBLwrote:

Obviously I cannot say about the future of PM, but we can say this with some certainty:

PM wants us off the $40/4 ($120 for 12GB/90) plan:

- a few months back we were offered a Koodo deal ($50/5GB)

- we were now told to go to Koodo or face a $10/month hike

- the reversed that, but the message implies that although they are not changing today, something is changing in the future

Not saying them wanting us off the plan is a good or bad thing; but they definitely do not want to support such a great plan forever... no provider would, or does...

The data prices are falling down (it is inevitable because of technology advances), so it is natural to expect LESS, not more $ per GB!

In this aspect technology clearly wins over  the inflation rate!

E.g. FIDO offers now as low as $2.5/GB on the tablet plans, and in some cases, for loyalty customers $0/GB  for 12 months (!!!)

Yeah, I am still shaking my head in disbelief at the Fido 100% discount offer.  I can tell you it's unbeatable as a retention offer.  I am not going anywhere for at least a year.  What do they have to gain from that?  A big goose egg!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

just to add to @ShawnC13  even with the increase my plan was still cheaper than moving to koodo.  my wife's was about the same.  I decided i would wait till the last possible moment to switch to:

1) see how many referals i lost  

2) see if any competitors would welome un happy PM cusomers with a special promo

3) use up the most of my prepaid airtime before switching to maximise the $100 incentive

I'm staying put till i find a better deal, when that day comes then, it was fun but time to go.  I have no doubt changes are coming.  we can speculate as much as we wanta, but we will never be told anything till it happens. 

@MVPwrote:

@ShawnC13wrote:

For me is stick with PM unitl it no longer works for what I need.  Higher prices then other plans then go, only 3G see how it effects me.  I don't worry about  it until something happens.  I am not jumping ship to pay more on a Just in case scenario.

😉 Sure, me too, sort of obvous strategy. 

All I'm saying: PM community deserves some more insight into the future,

even merely due to the fact that PM is community driven. 

I was not concerned about it much  until  the "infamous fiasco" happened, but now 

I think the concerned  community deserves some more words of clarification/reassurance from the PM officers.

We have never been given that insight.  Even if they did a state of the Union type address would you believe what they are saying after this last event.  As well for your comment on an obvious strategy, I was reading where people were leaving here and going to a provider and paying more just so Telus didn't get their money.  To me that strategy just hurts your self financially.  When the message came out my wife and I talked and it was like ok lets hang in there and see if other providers will jump in with a better promo to go to.  Even with the increase it was still cheaper for me to stay here and would still be saving a LOT of money over what I was paying with Rogers when I was with them and I was only getting 1/4 the data I get here.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dr-et

mvp , we are addicts

once and when this dealer dissapears

we will move to next one.

we will pay the price that they ask for the product THEY offer.

we have no choice unless we can kick the habit!!

sorryyy...

MVP

@ShawnC13wrote:

For me is stick with PM unitl it no longer works for what I need.  Higher prices then other plans then go, only 3G see how it effects me.  I don't worry about  it until something happens.  I am not jumping ship to pay more on a Just in case scenario.

😉 Sure, me too, sort of obvous strategy. 

All I'm saying: PM community deserves some more insight into the future,

even merely due to the fact that PM is community driven. 

I was not concerned about it much  until  the "infamous fiasco" happened, but now 

I think the concerned  community deserves some more words of clarification/reassurance from the PM officers.

MVP

@RLBLwrote:

Obviously I cannot say about the future of PM, but we can say this with some certainty:

PM wants us off the $40/4 ($120 for 12GB/90) plan:

- a few months back we were offered a Koodo deal ($50/5GB)

- we were now told to go to Koodo or face a $10/month hike

- the reversed that, but the message implies that although they are not changing today, something is changing in the future

Not saying them wanting us off the plan is a good or bad thing; but they definitely do not want to support such a great plan forever... no provider would, or does...

The data prices are falling down (it is inevitable because of technology advances), so it is natural to expect LESS, not more $ per GB!

In this aspect technology clearly wins over  the inflation rate!

E.g. FIDO offers now as low as $2.5/GB on the tablet plans, and in some cases, for loyalty customers $0/GB  for 12 months (!!!)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MVP

@Ludditewrote:

Here's the publicly announced plan: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/A-letter-from-Dave-on-the-recent-change...

OK, so basically it was  about “Less for Less” campaign: ....  and making sure that customers know that they are trading some frills in favour of lower prices. 🙂

How is "infamous fiasco" attempted price hike 25% or more is compatible with that? 😉

Here's the publicly announced plan: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/A-letter-from-Dave-on-the-recent-change...

MVP

@Ludditewrote:

ASAP is not happening

Why not? 🙂

What  does  PM  have to lose if they enlighten us about Telus plans about them? 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

ASAP is not happening, so pick your poison

- Don't worry, be happy

- Channel your patient persona 🙏

- The worst is yet to come

- Follow your wallet

Need Help? Let's chat.