cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Recruiting" for Public Mobile!

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In light of @mimmo's topic, I thought I would also reach out and encourage the community to engage in a bit of productive discussion!

When you're telling friends and family about your Public Mobile plans (as we all know you do, don't even try and hide it!) what are some of the very common things you hear yourself repeating? (Besides "no call center"?)

What are some of the biggest reactions you have had from sharing what savings you make a month?

Do you find you're often met with people who're very interested in PM, but just seem like being scammed by the Big/Middle 3 is a part of life and such, don't switch?

7 REPLIES 7

MEU_21

This thread is a rehash of the pros and cons. PM is not for everyone.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Pros-and-Cons-about-Public-Mobile/m-p/153...

The only things I would add now is:

Pro: Pre-paid is excellent as a kid's first phone plan so that they learn to budget their use, time on the phone, and even paying for the plans and frills if they need add-ons.

Cons: Moving with the times, everyone has at least VoWifi and should be considered for the future

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was selling to someone recently. I was promoting the $90 ($28/month) plan with 1.5GB which averages 500mb a month. Light user, retired. More than 50% off of her current plan. The thing that really was the eye opener for her, she could move plans and double the data to 3GB for $5 more a month if she found that 1.5 was not enough.

The other big thing I tell people, they don't sell phones, which means they do not have to service or troubleshoot phones. They don't have to do credit checks. They don't have stores, which is a saving in both staff and leasing costs. I tell them this is a main reason they can offer the plans they do. I have no idea if this is true, but it's hard to argue.

I ususally have 2 or 3 SIM cards on hand.

sirvar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just had my friend switch, he pays half of what he used to at Rogers for 1 less GB of data. The key things I mentioned on top of the network were:

- data rollover upto 3 months. You don't have 5gb each month, you have 15gb over 3 months so you can use it how you want.

- its prepaid so:

- no credit check. yay!

- no overage fees. if you try to call the states by mistake, it wont go through and charge you. however if you want to call its easy to purchase an add-on

- rewards! autopay, community, and loyalty rewards. (referral is obv)
i also run a speed test to show that the network is awesome and it came back higher than rogers network for that run.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai wrote:

I am sure most would repeat "it works on Telus network" or "it's a Telus company" Smiley LOL

When i try telling about the savings, they start to think about the call center and things they currently have to fight back for whatever reason. 

In my experience, most folks just wouldn't budge for the exact reason you mentioned. They also feel like they will be downgrading to Freedom or something. 

Same here. 😞

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I run into people that want a "subsidized"phone. Even after u show them the math (numbers don't lie) they still want the cheap/free phone every couple of years. I tell them my wife and I have saved enough this year to buy a phone each. Now it is no iPhone X but I am using an Essential and she is on a Liquid Zest Plus. I will save enough to buy her another phone next year if needed. I think a lot of it is brand awareness. Now no offence to iPhone users I was once one but people like the "status" of having the new phone. Same with people like to say the are with a top tier provider.  A discount or tier 3 provider just can't be as good. Well it is and if people want to spend more to keep up their status let them PM has enabled me to save money and buy some nicer items that I enjoy

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Clefort88

Honestly, every person I’ve talked to about PM and why they should consider switching, has been entirely on board. 

The last thing I mention is the lack of call centre. I start with what my plan entails and ask them to guess how much I spend a month for such an amazing plan. 

I usually receive responses of “frig right off, seriously? I’m paying $120 for barely half that!” 

6 friends have stated that once the unlock was free, they’re going to make the switch and recruit my help to do the things online for activation; because whilst the lack of call centre seals the deal of their need to switch to PM, everyone gets a little antsy thinking they’re going to mess things up. 

And here in NS, the big 3 is really only the big 2; Telus and Bell. And both of those companies share all the same towers in NS. It’s all just a battle for prices on plans and devices between the two. So to find out that PM is owned by Telus, it’s an instant yes anyway. 

So yeah lol it’s never been much of an issue. Even my boss has been asking me more about PM. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I am sure most would repeat "it works on Telus network" or "it's a Telus company" Smiley LOL

When i try telling about the savings, they start to think about the call center and things they currently have to fight back for whatever reason. 

In my experience, most folks just wouldn't budge for the exact reason you mentioned. They also feel like they will be downgrading to Freedom or something. 

Need Help? Let's chat.