611 (or *611)

"Welcome to Public Mobile, here's your PIN"

"Free Message: Please call *611 from your mobile device for assistance"

"You have 10 minutes left in your plan"

"You have used up 75% of your Data"

"You have used up 95% of your Data"

"Your payment has been successfully added to your account"

"Thank you for your payment! Your plan has successfully renewed"

"Heads up! Your next payment date is [in 3 days]. If you've already paid or have AutoPay then ignore this message"

"Just a heads up! Payment is due tomorrow and there's not enough funds to renew your plan. If you've already paid... (etc)"

"Congrats. Your bonus one-time addon has been applied. Check Self-Serve ... (etc)"

"Tmr wea??ll be adding 1000 free one-time Canada-wide minutes to your account, making your total bonus 5GB + 1000 mins. See in Self-Serve Sep 2." (yes, this text was sent with typos)

"Your payment has been successfully added to your account"

"Rewards have been applied to your account, $ Referrals, $ AutoPay, $ Community, $ Loyalty"

"Congrats, you've referred a friend to Public Mobile"

"Sorry, one of the your friends has left Public Mobile"

"Here's your free gift, a 1GB Data Add-on"

5129 (twice per year)

"Here's a link for consumers to learn about the Wireless Code or complain to CRTC/CCTS."

(Apparently you could msg your postal code to get a list of nearby PM vendors, but even if this worked circa 2015 it doesn't seem to work anymore.)

"Public Mobile is Canada's biggest/fastest/bestest 3G/4G/LTE network"

"Here's another amazing Koodo migration offer..."

"We've decided to give everybody a free gift, 1GB Data Add-on, look for another msg when it arrives"

5132 (twice per year)

"Did you know about our E911 Service? Click link to learn more."

5169 (MMS)

"Happy holidays! We've decided to give everybody free Add-ons this season. Visit the Community to learn more."

"Make the most of our Canada-wide network with a gift, on us. Enjoy a free one-time 1GB of data + 1000 Canada-wide munutes. Just like that. Reply YES ..."

"Good choice! Confirming you have opted in for your bonus one-time add-on ... (etc)"

"We're here for you. We recognize that these are challenging times and staying connected to friends and family is important. With store closures and other rising [Covid-19] uncertainty we recommend choosing online payment options ... (etc)"

5198 (MMS)

"Public Mobile and Babylon by TELUS Health msg ... (etc)"

14 REPLIES 14

@Pawprints1986 

I haven't seen any notifications about number ports. Because I haven't requested any legit number ports, I apparently haven't been targeted by any illegitimate number ports.

Sorry, I don't know what numbers they'd use or what they'd say. I'm only reporting what I've personally seen sent to my PM numbers.

@Pawprints1986

Yes.

SMS numbers can be spoofed.

MMS numbers can be spoofed. But in practice they aren't (as much) because the data trail which could be followed back to origin.

There's a variety of spoofy apps any idiot can run from a phone or from a PC. But not all of them work as promised. And some of them are banned by CRTC (and this "regulatory" ban is apparently enforced at the technical level by the MNOs) so even if they appear intact at source they are in fact broken before destination. Still, some of them do work well enough.

(On the flipside, the CRTC ban also includes anti-spoofing apps like TrapCall and TrueCallerID. So we are defenseless vs anything which successfully slips through the networks.)

There's also a variety of what I'll vaguely call "radio network hardware" which can spoof call/text IDs in ways which are much more direct and much less detectable. But this sort of gear is the domain of cybersecurity whitehats and telecomm professionals, I doubt a typical spammer/scammer could even procure or operate such gear, it's out of their league. It's out of my league.

And, as we all know, certain foreign countries have more loopholes in their communications infrastrcture which unsavoury elements have learned to exploit. So international calls/texts from these countries are accepted by our networks because they're vetted by their networks - all the call envelope metadata seem (or are assumed) to be "legit" even when they are not.

The CRTC required all Canadian networks to implement a UNCB before the end of 2019. And all of them except Telus (and its Koodo/Public subsidiary brands) have proudly advertised their UNCB feature/compliance. I don't know how (or even if) Telus implemented UNCB, but it might extend some form of spoof-protection across all dialing protocols, text protocols, and IP-based communications.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jb456 now that you say this I do recall reading that one... Sorry lol! Just asked here cuz I'm gonna add them all as contact numbers if I can

Are these easy to spoof if someone wanted to?

Pawprints1986

In light of my recent reading, which of these would a port number request come from (if someone is trying to fraudulently port your number?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

What happened to the quote button?

@Cjessica2017 

Re: "Public Mobile here..." numbers

Read all text messages

--------------------

What are you trying to say?

Cjessica2017
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Read all text messages

@Korth wrote:

I'd love some sort of Self-Serve number. Send it your PIN/password from your number and get access to your account status without online login.

Or a Simon number. I doubt I'd ever use it, personally, but I think it's an obvious channel to "keep the coversation going" when other PM things break down. Imagine a utopian future where Simon gives you a support ticket number and Simon sends you realtime notifications when things happen or Mods are available to work on your support issue. . 

You can make use of the IVR on 611 for very simple self-serve options.  You can’t do everything, but you can pay, get addons, find out your balance for a few options.

I'd love some sort of Self-Serve number. Send it your PIN/password from your number and get access to your account status without online login.

Or a Simon number. I doubt I'd ever use it, personally, but I think it's an obvious channel to "keep the coversation going" when other PM things break down. Imagine a utopian future where Simon gives you a support ticket number and Simon sends you realtime notifications when things happen or Mods are available to work on your support issue. . 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have received offers from 5132 and 5133.  Frankly, I don't care what number they use as long as the offers keep coming.  Call me anything you want but don't call me late for dinner, lol. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

@Korth I did receive from 513-1, 512-9, 513-2. They won't be charged as text. But not sure if you can unsubscribe them.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@Korth I did receive from 513-1, 512-9, 513-2. They won't be charged as text. But not sure if you can unsubscribe them.

Only the marketing offers from Koodo can be unsubsribed from. For any of the rest, there is no way to opt out. If the messages are unwanted, you would have to block them using phone software.

One of the 1Gig freebie texts came from 5131 and it had the bit about unsubscribing.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@sunflowershine wrote:

Only the marketing offers from Koodo can be unsubsribed from. For any of the rest, there is no way to opt out. If the messages are unwanted, you would have to block them using phone software.

sunflowershine

Need Help? Let's chat.