cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone number has been hijacked!

ridgewoodray
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just found my phone number has been hijacked, many incoming calls to my cellphone and many persons message me to say my number called them all day!

Please help me to solve this issue!

12 REPLIES 12

Korth
Mayor / Maire

If your phone number or SIM number was truly hijacked then you wouldn't be able to use them anymore; they'd be active on someone else's hardware and inactive on yours.

But yeah, somebody could he spoofing your number so it's visible to parts of the network and on received caller ID. So yeah, the Mods can go through the network-side call activity logs and can request to have the number monitored.

But there's another possibility... 

If you've recently done a Mobile Number Port (new customer on PM with a number from your old carrier?) then it's possible the MNP is not fully completed. An incomplete MNP can cause some calls to or from the number to reach wrong destinations. It sorts itself out, usually within a few business days at most (it could take up to 10 days or even 30 days at worst extreme, in theory, but I've never heard of it taking more than a week at most). No longer a problem after all the network machinery has been updated with the same information. 

TEJ20
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

some might be playing a prank on you. there is a lot of apps that can be used to spoof the number.

Totally agree with @computergeek541@will13am and@Ed404.

If incoming and outgoing calls are working fine on your phone, your number is safe.

Someone just happened to spoof your number to send spam calls/messages to others.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I doubt this is actual hijacking, but instead someone is spoofing your phone and using it to call people. I would still check in with the mods just in case.

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

I will definitely change phone number.

Don't do anything until you figure out what is going on.  People can spoof numbers and it make appear like someone else is making the call.  Spam incoming calls happen all the time.  Changing numbers doesn't prevent this.  I would start by checking the SIM status on the phone to see what phone number is showing.  That will confirm whether there's been phone number hijacking. Check the self serve account.  Any hijacking needs to go through there.  If there's concerns of that, change the password.  

@ridgewoodray wrote:

Hi, I just found my phone number has been hijacked, many incoming calls to my cellphone and many persons message me to say my number called them all day!

I don't see people calling you to ask why you kept calling them to be any inidcation that you phoen number has been "hijacked" or otherwise compromised. Whoever is making this calls is simply using a fake phone number, which just happens to be yours. I don't see this as being any security concern when it comes to your account, but rather just very much a nuisance to you. 

When people make calls, they could actually make it say any number that they want. Messaging apps/internet calling apps usually ask you to confirm that the number is yours by sending a you a text messag with a code, but this just goes to shoe that the outgoing call display can be manually set. There are even joke websites that people someitmes use to a call a friend and they enter that person's own phone number and then call it.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I will definitely change phone number.

swimswam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Best to change your number now that its been out there it would be next to impossible to fully recover it from whoever is using it pretending to be you. Easy to switch to a new number through self serve

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ridgewoodray wrote:

Ways to stop the spam calls:

1.  You can change your phone number.  PM allows you to change your phone number once per month.

2.  Go to call history.  Click on the 3 dots icon to block any number from ringing your phone.  I have Android 9 phone.  I don't know whether other Android version or iPhone will support number blocking.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ridgewoodray wrote:

@ridgewoodray  First thing try accessing your selfserve account. If you are able to then you haven't been simjacked ....more like someone is spoofing your number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgewoodray  - You would neet to contact the moderator team to get this resolved.  Click on the question mark (?) to start a session with SIMon, and breigly explain the problem.  Eventually, SIMon should lead you to open a ticket with the moderators.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If you are not too tied to it you could easily change it from your selfserve

But it's probably temporary, they keep changing numbers as people block them they will probably discard it soon.

They didn't really hijack it, just kinda have it on display, If you check your history there will be no calls from you

Need Help? Let's chat.