cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: old sim card ( reusability in the future)

@vnt wrote:

Hey

So if I get what your saying...

The sim card can still be potentially used ? 

Or do you mean it can be used in theory but not in practice ...

Yes an old Deactivated Sim card can be used on a new account. However no Provider in Canada does that. Telus Mobility Dis-Continued Mike Network use to activate old Sim cards all the time for new activation or Sim replacements. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@chukdefatey wrote:

@vnt wrote:

Hey

Yes an old Deactivated Sim card can be used on a new account. However no Provider in Canada does that. Telus Mobility Dis-Continued Mike Network use to activate old Sim cards all the time for new activation or Sim replacements. 

The MIKE network used Motorola IDEN technology, and their SIM cards had no relation to the current SIM cards of today.  It is probably why their SIM cards were reusable.

@vnt  sim card is dead, no good, paperweight

Not a very good paperweight either Smiley LOL

For all intents and purpose at Public Mobile, once a SIM has been used by an account, it will no longer be able to be used for another account.  If the phone number is ported to another carrier, Public Mobile by design, cancels the account, and effectively renders the sim card non-functional for future use.

Therefore, you can not reuse a Public Mobile sim for cellular service.  You can, however, frame it and display it on your desk if you wish.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bridonca wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@vnt wrote:

Hey

The MIKE network used Motorola IDEN technology, and their SIM cards had no relation to the current SIM cards of today.  It is probably why their SIM cards were reusable.

It was still a Sim Card just like any other Regular Sim Card. 

Remember, eSIM's are the future so the reusability or not of old SIM's may be irrelevant in the near future.

Oracle

@jimbobs wrote:

Remember, eSIM's are the future so the reusability or not of old SIM's may be irrelevant in the near future.

This is Public Mobile.  It's not known to be class leading in adoption rate for new features.  I would not expect e-sim coming to this service any time soon.

Highlighted

This is Public Mobile.  It's not known to be class leading in adoption rate for new features.  I would not expect e-sim coming to this service any time soon.

The move to eSIM will be driven by device manufacturers.  It makes little or no difference to service provider whether the device has a physical SIM with a number or an eSIM with a number.

Plus, Public Mobile is on Telus platform which is either the best or one of the best in Canada.