cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old sim card ( reusability in the future)

vnt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I ported out of public mobile while retaining the mobile number...

But I do have my old public SIM card...

So can I re-use it in the future if I switch back to public

Can that same SIM be used by me or anyone else or will a  new purchase be necessary 

17 REPLIES 17

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is Public Mobile.  It's not known to be class leading in adoption rate for new features.  I would not expect e-sim coming to this service any time soon.

The move to eSIM will be driven by device manufacturers.  It makes little or no difference to service provider whether the device has a physical SIM with a number or an eSIM with a number.

Plus, Public Mobile is on Telus platform which is either the best or one of the best in Canada.

@jimbobs wrote:

Remember, eSIM's are the future so the reusability or not of old SIM's may be irrelevant in the near future.

This is Public Mobile.  It's not known to be class leading in adoption rate for new features.  I would not expect e-sim coming to this service any time soon.

jimbobs

Remember, eSIM's are the future so the reusability or not of old SIM's may be irrelevant in the near future.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bridonca wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@vnt wrote:

Hey

So if I get what your saying...

The sim card can still be potentially used ? 

Or do you mean it can be used in theory but not in practice ...

Yes an old Deactivated Sim card can be used on a new account. However no Provider in Canada does that. Telus Mobility Dis-Continued Mike Network use to activate old Sim cards all the time for new activation or Sim replacements. 

The MIKE network used Motorola IDEN technology, and their SIM cards had no relation to the current SIM cards of today.  It is probably why their SIM cards were reusable.

It was still a Sim Card just like any other Regular Sim Card. 

For all intents and purpose at Public Mobile, once a SIM has been used by an account, it will no longer be able to be used for another account.  If the phone number is ported to another carrier, Public Mobile by design, cancels the account, and effectively renders the sim card non-functional for future use.

Therefore, you can not reuse a Public Mobile sim for cellular service.  You can, however, frame it and display it on your desk if you wish.

jimbobs

@vnt  sim card is dead, no good, paperweight

Not a very good paperweight either Smiley LOL

bridonca

@chukdefatey wrote:

@vnt wrote:

Hey

Yes an old Deactivated Sim card can be used on a new account. However no Provider in Canada does that. Telus Mobility Dis-Continued Mike Network use to activate old Sim cards all the time for new activation or Sim replacements. 

The MIKE network used Motorola IDEN technology, and their SIM cards had no relation to the current SIM cards of today.  It is probably why their SIM cards were reusable.

chukdefatey

@vnt wrote:

Hey

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@vntFor a Public Mobile SIM card it is useless.. it is up to the providers to set policies.

@vnt 

A previous activated SIM card cannot be used again with new number/plan with Public Mobile. 

Once deactivated, SIM card is useless. 

vnt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey

chukdefatey

@will13am wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@will13am wrote:

To be totally clear, SIM cards don't have expiry date, so old is not a problem.  Reuse is never possible. 

As a matter of fact Sim cards do have an expiry date but Thankfully none of the Canadian Carriers implemented one. Also activating an old used Sim is also possible but no current Provider in Canada will activate a used Sim on a new account. 

We are in the Public Mobile community forum.  Speaking about how other providers dispense their products is not informative.  

From now on all your Posts should be 100% related to Public Mobile. No outside information whatsoever since you have an issue with me Providing information that is not Public Mobile Related. 

@chukdefatey wrote:

@will13am wrote:

To be totally clear, SIM cards don't have expiry date, so old is not a problem.  Reuse is never possible. 

As a matter of fact Sim cards do have an expiry date but Thankfully none of the Canadian Carriers implemented one. Also activating an old used Sim is also possible but no current Provider in Canada will activate a used Sim on a new account. 

We are in the Public Mobile community forum.  Speaking about how other providers dispense their products is not informative.  

chukdefatey

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vnt wrote:

Can that same SIM be used by me or anyone else or will a  new purchase be necessary 

@vnt You'll need a new sim and a new email and will have to activate as a new customer.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@vnt wrote:

@vnt  sim card is dead, no good, paperweight

you will need a new sim if you sign back up

Need Help? Let's chat.