cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer - no network/emergency calls only

thunderaxe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
hi, i just received my SIM card yesterday so i cancelled my phone plan with fido (it expired this morning) and activated my public mobile phone plan. when i insert the SIM card though, it tells me there is no network or only emergency calls are available. when i go into settings and try to connect to the public mobile network that i created by following the APN instructions, it tells me the network is unavailable.

is there this great of a delay between account activation and being able to connect to the network?

when i activated my account i got two messages at the confirmation stage, one telling me there was an error and activation failed, and another telling me it was succesful. i was hoping the error message was mistaken.

i've sent private messages to two of the mods - one yesterday afternoon and another this morning, neither has been read.

i NEED to have a working phone with data for my job, i'm literally unable to work without it and my shift begins at 11
19 REPLIES 19

Liquid5n0w

From your description it sounds like a bad SIM card.

I would have gone to a carrier booth and activated a new plan on a new number, you can use up to half a months worth of the plan then cancel it 14 days later and they have to refund you everything you were charged.

@thunderaxe wrote:

oh my god i hate this company so much already. nobody gives a **bleep** at all. none of my messages have been read by anybody who might be able to actually help me.

i've lost between $100-$150 by not being able to work today. who knows if my phone will work tomorrow or if i'll lose the same amount of money then too? 

You're right.  Not having service isn't a good thing. I obviously can't help you with anything related to a possible problem with the Public Mobile service or sim card.  Chatr also offers prepaid services that include data, and a new line can be activated with them, or a new Fido line could be activated.  I know that activating another service will cost additional money and be time consuming, but if you're losing work because of not have a working phone line, it might be worth doing.

After everything gets fixed up (hopefully), you can then decide which company's service to keep.

thunderaxe

it's been 24 hours since i sent a DM to a moderator for help and they haven't even read the message yet. what the hell kind of a company are they running here?

thunderaxe

oh my god i hate this company so much already. nobody gives a **bleep** at all. none of my messages have been read by anybody who might be able to actually help me.

i've lost between $100-$150 by not being able to work today. who knows if my phone will work tomorrow or if i'll lose the same amount of money then too? 

i sincerely hope this is all going to be worth it in the end but goddamn we are not off to a good start at all.

thunderaxe
still no answer, no one has read my DMs, i'm losing money by the minute. if i can't work today that's a minimum of $100 in lost income. i don't imagine they'll be reimbursing me for that.

thunderaxe
i've tagged the other two mods and sent them DMs, too. they haven't even been read since yesterday afternoon.

I don't know if you've tagged for a moderator to help, as email support is slower than moderators normally.

@Mary_M , can you or another mod assist this fine communtiy member?  Thanks

thunderaxe
again, i wasn't porting my number, i created a new one.

i emailed customer service, hopefully they get back to me with an answer soon. my shift starts in half an hour and it is entirely dependent on mobile data.

Rmparker
If you were looking to port your number but cancelled it with fido that could be a problem.
Verify the Sim card number details match your account and the card as well on you PM account. If all these are correct and you have verified your phone is compatible contact PM by email if you can't wait for a moderator response.

thunderaxe
i didn't port, i created a new number. my old number was 604 (vancouver) which worked with my canada-wide fido plan, but with only province-wide calling i wanted a toronto number.

Mystery
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Did you cancel your Fido line before porting? Just wondering if that was the issue. If you activated the SIM but didnt request a nw number but ported, perhaps there was no number to port over?

thunderaxe
my shift starts in an hour...

thunderaxe
tried it in my roommate's iphone 6, same issue.

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Give that a go, if it doesn't work in your roomates phone, it's an issue with the activation and there may be nothing that can be done in such a time crunch. You'll have to wait for a moderators response.

If it works, then there may be something wrong with the config on your phone. The fastest/easiest way to fix that would be by doing a factory reset.

thunderaxe
@Shazia_K @Saray_O
i've sent you both DMs with my phone and SIM numbers

thunderaxe
i've reset the phone a number of times. batteries are not easily removable in nexus phones, i would literally need to take the entire phone apart to make it work.

i don't have any service at all, neither calling/texting or data. no bars, and the phone tells me the selected network (public mobile) is unavailable with no service.

i'll try resetting and using a roommate's phone for troubleshooting purposes.

clogan2

Just to cover all bases, have you tried restarting the phone and removing/reinserting the battery?

Do you have another phone to try it with to verify that it's in fact the provisioning of the SIM and not the phone itself?

Data and calling/texting are two different things, your APN settings shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not you can make calls or text. If they are incorrect, you won't be able to use data or send/receive picture or video messages.

thunderaxe
yes i did. it's a google nexus 5, which comes factory unlocked.

clogan2

What is the model of your phone? Did you verify that it would work on the Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile network before activating?

Need Help? Let's chat.