cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issues with sim card.....cutting out

emlphoto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

new user, just installed the sim card & works fine (most of the time).. However, sometimes when I use my phone I'm getting the "no sim card installed" message.  I have to power iphone7 down and then it works again.  A few hours later, i get the error message again & have to shut it down.

Did a ios update, didnt seem to help.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

7 REPLIES 7

emlphoto

Everything seems to be working now.  We've arrived in the U.S. mad getting somewhat good data out of Nevada. 

I think the card may of been dirty and after I cleaned with alcohol swipe working much better. 

Thanks again everyone !!!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@emlphoto wrote:

maybe I have a bad SIM card? 

@emlphoto this is possible; however, some have observed in the past that Public Mobile SIM cards seem a bit thinner than some other providers' cards.  It's possible yours is just slightly thinner than average or your SIM tray has slightly more clearance than average for some reason (there are always accpetable tolerances in manufacturing).  Carefully taping a small square of paper to the back of the SIM card may help, but be very careful inserting and removing the SIM tray so you don't get the paper or tape stuck and potentially damage either the card, or worse: the phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

emlphoto

cleaned card and it seems to set fine in the slot.  My older bell sim worked flawlessly 

a moderator suggested resetting my network settings and that didn't seem to help 

like I mentioned, it seems to work for a few hours then cuts out. After I reboot, it works again for another few hours. 

maybe I have a bad SIM card? 

DanielleMarie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@emlphoto wrote:

new user, just installed the sim card & works fine (most of the time).. However, sometimes when I use my phone I'm getting the "no sim card installed" message.  I have to power iphone7 down and then it works again.  A few hours later, i get the error message again & have to shut it down.

Did a ios update, didnt seem to help.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Do you have another unlocked phone you can try the SIM card in? This would really help us determine whether the issue is the SIM card or phone.

You can try cleaning the contacts and such on your phone and stuff like that. I'm assuming you have the correct size SIM in (I've seen someone put a too small SIM card in a slot before so figured it was worth mentioning)?

There is a chance the SIM card itself could be busted, in which case you'd need to replace it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunflowershine wrote:

@emlphoto I think you can check on your SIM card slot to see if your card getting dislocated. 

Yes I've read stories here of people putting tape on the SIM to act as a bit of a shim.

I would be exceedingly careful that no edge can catch and stick inside.

Edit: ninja'd

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@emlphotoCheck to see if your SIM card is sitting snuggly in the SIM tray. Also inspect your SIM card slot for any physical damage. Since the SIM contact faces downwards from the phone, you can put a thin piece of tape to assure adhesion and the SIM not move.

If the problem persists, you might need a new SIM slot.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@emlphoto I think you can check on your SIM card slot to see if your card getting dislocated. 

Need Help? Let's chat.