cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet usage

denis2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi everybody, i've always had a cell plan without internet, thanks to Public Mobile I now have internet on my phone but I'm starting to notice that it is very distracting and consumes a lot of my battery( I always charge my phone only 1 times per week) but with internet I have to charge every 2 days. Is it possible to turn off internet on my phone and turn it on only when I want it ?.

(Please keep it simple I am not tech savy)

Thanks for your help

29 REPLIES 29

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@denis2 wrote:

use since last full charge:

Bluetooth         13%------------------------Fix----turn off bluetooth

Cell stand by    12%----------------------- FIX   ?????

Yahoo mail        11%----------------------  thats a lot

Google services 10%-----------------------  I dont even use this  ??

Screen                7%

O/S                      6%

Actual phone calls only  2%

@denis2 cell standby and google services should reduce when your data is off, I would think. 

Yahoo Mail--honestly, I would suggest you ditch it and use either Google's own GMail which is already on your phone or grab Outlook from the play store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook).  Either is likely to be a more competent email app and can handle a Yahoo email address just fine.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

denis2

Thats exactly what I did, Finnally some peace, my phone isn't vibrating every 5 minutes Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I turn it all off (except cell phone) when not in use. Data, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, wifi. Why suck the battery for something just sitting there running for no reason. Like leaving the car parked idling... you'll run out of gas.

Sharry19

@denis2 Yes you can definitely disable mobile data from the settings->Data usage->Mobile data & disable it.

Just to let you know one thing, if you disable your mobile data, you can not send Picture messages (MMS) because MMS needs mobile data to go through.

**** Please note: I am not a Moderator ****

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@denis2, as @RobertQc mentioned you can definitely turn off your data by going into your network settings, and he is right about the apps working in the background that can also be sucking the life out of your battery.  But also, what most people tend to forget, is now that you have data, you're just using your phone most likely 2 times more than you ever had.  That means the screen light/display is on even that much more and for a longer period of time (i.e. watching Youtube, etc.)  so this will definitely drain your battery.  I recommend turn down the brightness of your screen display a bit to save a little bit on battery life, it's not going to be a massive help, but it's a little help nonetheless.  Also, if you use vibrate all the time, I recommend just going to a ring tone for all your incoming calls,texts, messages, etc.  again this switch won't be a massive difference  but still a small difference nonetheless.  Also if yo have your bluetooth on, suggest only turning it on when you need it, and then turn it off, just like the data.  Although all these things will help a little, but collectively it will save you some battery life as well.  

But to be honest, you're lucky you only charge it every 2 days, most people have to charge multiple times a day.

You could also go into the yahoo mail settings and change how often it checks to see if you've received mail.

dezn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@denis2Limit your battery life with data saver turned on and find the apps to be turned off, see if there is a option for wifi data during sleep is available to be turned off as well. Also check if developer options is hiding any settings that may help with battery like turning off automatic downloads, andd wifi power saving modes if it's available for your device. Clicking on wifi then advanced can also hide some settings to be turned off.

denis2

Wow that will keep me busy 

denis2

was all there under Battery Smiley Tongue

@denis2 wrote:

Screen                7%

@denis2Disable your gps, go into location settings and remove wifi scanning / gps, go into google services and remove back round data, same with yahoo mail, enable battery  savings mode and set up data to be queued.

Wow for someone who are not very good with tech!!!Smiley Wink

denis2

Screen                7%

@denis2There is good built in battery monitor with andriod. Go to your settings, Click Battery and look around. You can find out specifically what part of your phone is using the battery.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@denis2There are apps you can install that monitor your battery usage and tell you how much each app/screen/ect. are using.

@denis2 wrote:

but 1 week is better, 

@denis2Do some digging on your phone, find out exactly what is taking the battery. Likely its something like play services, sending your location data to google now that you have a data connection. Its better to stop the problem killing your battery so you can keep data live

denis2

but 1 week is better, 

@denis2 wrote:

what is MMS ?

It's a text message, but with a video, picture, subject line, animation, attachment etc

You may also find that most of your battery was being used due to screen on time from using your phone more, the connection itself does not greatly increase the battery usage. You can also remove backround data and set up battery savings modes to counter act having the data connection live. Queued backround data.

@denis2 wrote:

Hi everybody, i've always had a cell plan without internet, thanks to Public Mobile I now have internet on my phone but I'm starting to notice that it is very distracting and consumes a lot of my battery( I always charge my phone only 1 times per week) but with internet I have to charge every 2 days. Is it possible to turn off internet on my phone and turn it on only when I want it ?.

Thanks for your help

2 days of battery life is actually very, very good for current model phones.  Yes, you can disable data on the Moto G 3rd Gen.  Swipe down from the top of the screen and there will be some shortcuts, and one them should be for toggling data on or off (unless you've previously moved those quick launch setting shortcuts around).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Once a week wow,. Some of my phones didn't seem to make a full day.  What phone do you have? One of the big consumers is the screen.  You can also check battery usage stats, usually found in setting - battery

MMS are picture you can send with data...

Yes that's not the same thing...data and SMS... I have disabled data on mine and I still send SMS..

denis2

what is MMS ?

denis2

Moto G3

@denis2 wrote:

if I do this will I still be able to send/receive text

Text- SMS- Yes, but not MMS

denis2

if I do this will I still be able to send/receive text

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@denis2If you let us know the exact phone and operating system you have, we could talk you through the steps for that model.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

What's your phone ?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@denis2 wrote:

Thanks for your help

@denis2If by internet, you mean data. Yes. Absolutely. Go into your network settings and disable mobile internet / data.

It is probably not even the data connection that uses all your battery, a lot of it now is apps that are communicating / backing up / updating because you have a data connection live

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It depends on the phone, but most of them have the ability to disable Data with the notification drop down (top swipe down on phone). You can also generally find it in the settings menu as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.