cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incoming and outgoing calls go to voice mail

rasputin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

how do I get help with this problem. I have been using my phone since Feb 14 2020... no problems. I have not used it for the past week and today I have a problem: All incoming and outgoing calls go to voice mail. My account and times are all active....$15 plan. Need help. Thx

25 REPLIES 25

rasputin

Thanks for the information.... duly noted.

Perspective, in hindsight, is a wonderful thing!

cheers...

@rasputin  In areas of poor signal a text message only needs the tiniest amount of a time/signal to connect and send/recieve where as a call requires a certain amount signal strength and connection time to the network to work. If those minimums can't be met it will automatically be forwarded to voicemail.

I've climbed halfway up a mountain to get a signal more times than you can imagine. Valleys in bc can be notoriously bad for poor cell signals and dead zones.

rasputin

To all the above that so kindly lent me a sympathetic ear:

My son did finally make it home and we found that the problems on both ends of the line were caused by poor reception in the woods north of Parry Sound. I can only offer a weak attempt at explaining why I could not figure this out. New phone and New service. What baffled me was that we could text with no problems... both sides... but the phones were automatically answered with a mailbox greeting.... which in hindsight, is what happens when phones are inaccessible. Nothing was set to forward, or to  any other such adventurous possibilities.  Well, all ends well and a lesson was learned by me. But I was happily impressed by the kind and attentive responses from "our Community".

Thank you again...and unfortunately, I am sure you will be hearing from me down the road.

Cheers all..

Michael

@rasputin 

Does your home number have call forwarding to the mobile number. Is your home phone VoIP? 

@rasputin wrote

Amazing how all tests say A ok ... until you hit the woods and become vulnerable. Alternator goes... and phone coms bug out. Standing by to see whats next.

Thx for help so far...

Quick...knock on wood!

rasputin

Ok... will do.

I have to time out here as he is walking back to his campsight as reception sucks. I will have to wait until he is in contact range. again... and then I will follow up on this post. I have just reset my phone lines as previous suggestion.

I appreciate the help!

His alternator crapped out ... but I think he can reach town with his atv. He still has a couple of days before he needs his vehicle....and is headed back to his tent to hide out from rain.. and cook up dinner.. 

Amazing how all tests say A ok ... until you hit the woods and become vulnerable. Alternator goes... and phone coms bug out. Standing by to see whats next.

Thx for help so far...

He could also try you couple more times when it's for sure that you are not trying to dial, if you pickup and are trying to connect while he's trying to reach you it will most likely go to VM.

Is it Bell landline or VoIP? If it's VoIP you may consider restarting your VoIP adapter

@rasputin 

I turned on dnd mode couple of times by mistake I never use it, only airplane mode. So that may be accidentally on.

He should restart his phone.

He should also check that he doesn't have 4g only on, he needs 3g to talk.

It may be that he is in a zone where 3g signal is down. Everything else can be done with 4g.

Does he have any data left? He could call you using TextNow, just remind him to turn off background data for it

rasputin

will try thanks....

As for overlap..... sorry...I am not as quick as "the community" and I am multitasking way too much for my recently retired status.... but appreciate all the support.

Will repost after going unplugged.

@rasputin  Tell your son to use airplane mode it might be a connection issue. Do you have access to his account to use lost/stolen trick? You should check with your landline provider for your issue or can other people (ie your wife) call You no problem?

@rasputin wrote:

I was wondering if something happend with the service as my home line went out temporarily with the passing thunderstorm.

We're having a case of overlapping posts here..... anyway, based on the above, I'll assume your electricity is working fine now, and that was a small glitch..... any chance your home phone is a cordless? If so, maybe try unplugging it from power(if more than one handset, unplug 'em all) for a couple minutes, and then plug it back in(starting with the main base handset, if that's what you have) - the temporary outage may have given it a wee brain cramp, and a reset may help.

rasputin

ps.... no on the same samsung phone..... the only one he has.... mine. My wife is texting him from her phone. I cannot call him from her cell phone our our houseline (2 different numbers)

rasputin

correct.... texting works no problem. Just strange about voice as I had received several calls a week or so ago... as well as using it once to call a friend

@rasputin wrote:

my phone is up north in the woods with my son...If i call him... ie, use my home landline, it automatically answers (does not ring) as your call will go to VM.... or saves as message... cant remember. I asked him to call my landline at home, and it does not ring.... it goes into my voicemail.

Since you've been in touch with him, I suppose we can assume it's via text, on another phone?

rasputin

3 min of 100 are used.

he is not going to know how to turn on "do not disturb".

He also has a samsung and has never used this option.....Know what you mean, but I am pretty sure he is simply texting... which works.... I just want to call as he is having electirical problems with his truck and it is easier to talk about solutions, rather than texting.

I was wondering if something happend with the service as my home line went out temporarily with the passing thunderstorm.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Also check to make sure the phone numbers are not on the reject list in settings. Rejected calls go to vm.

@rasputin  Figuring out why your landline is going to voicemail will help on your end. If you can tell your son to use the troubleshooting techniques on his phone might clear up the issues on his end.

Does your son have Do Not Disturb On.

@rasputin 

@rasputin wrote:

my phone is up north in the woods with my son...If i call him... ie, use my home landline, it automatically answers (does not ring) as your call will go to VM.... or saves as message... cant remember. I asked him to call my landline at home, and it does not ring.... it goes into my voicemail. Both of us hang up... so I don't know what happens next. I just need to talk with him.

So.... thx for the post on disabling call forwarding, but I don't believe that is the issue.

Any other ideas... or can I better explain myself?

@rasputin 

Is it happening only when your phone is up north in the woods?  Maybe there is poor reception in that area.  PM mobile does use Telus and Bell towers, which does offer good coverage, but not perfect.  

Nevermind my original post, since the OP has clarified.... somewhat.

rasputin

my phone is up north in the woods with my son...If i call him... ie, use my home landline, it automatically answers (does not ring) as your call will go to VM.... or saves as message... cant remember. I asked him to call my landline at home, and it does not ring.... it goes into my voicemail. Both of us hang up... so I don't know what happens next. I just need to talk with him.

So.... thx for the post on disabling call forwarding, but I don't believe that is the issue.

Any other ideas... or can I better explain myself?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rasputin 

I gotta say I'm a little confused with outgoing going to voicemail.

Incoming sure.

But outgoing..??

Not ringing on your phone could be do not disturb.

Not being able to call out could be the 100 minutes are used.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@rasputin 

Is your text and data working?

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@rasputin  Try rebooting your phone. If that does not work turn airplane mode on. Wait 5 min. Turn airplane mode off. If that does not work log in to your account. Report phone lost. Log out. Wait 5 min. Log in. Report phone found. Log out. Reboot phone. Test your calling. Check to make sure you haven't used all your plan minutes.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@rasputin  could you please check to see if call forwarding may have been inadvertantly enabled? Thanks. See article on call forwarding.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

Need Help? Let's chat.