cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if i order the sim

marykitcat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Will this sim work for the Android phone that I got from the lifeline program?
8 REPLIES 8

@Luddite

WillMyPhoneWork reports that my device won't work on Public Mobile ("does not support 2G", "device not compatible with 3G", "device does not support 4G LTE bands").  Even though I clicked the link and I'm posting this message wirelessly from my device (an ancient LG C800G Eclypse/myTouchQ, if it matters).

It seems to me that incomplete/false data aren't limited to Public Mobile, lol.

But there is no substitute for success.  Just plug in a (free!) Public Mobile SIM card and determine if it works.  (You'll see "INVALID SIM" or similar error if it doesn't work.)

@Korth Good catch; I completely misread her post and assumed she was asking about using a lifeline SIM. 

@marykitcat You can also check whether your phone will connect to PM's network by looking up the make/model of your phone here: Will My Phone Work? Many (GSM) phones look as if they have the frequencies needed but only operate only on a 2G network; Public Mobile is a 3G/LTE network. Unfortunately, Public Mobile's IMEI checker has been know to return false information in this regard.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@marykitcat

Lifeline is a federal communications initiative (only) in the USA.  Public Mobile is a communications provider (only) in Canada.  Their services cover different countries.

But any Android phone should work on the Public Mobile network (in Canada, lol).  Unless it's locked to another provider, or it's blacklisted (reported as lost/stolen), or it's so utterly ancient that it's obsolete on today's cellphone networks.

First, check what kind of Android phone you have.

Second, find your phone's IMEI number.  Then go to Public Mobile's Get Started page and enter the IMEI number at the bottom of the page (as @mightytb suggested above).

Finally, if your phone looks compatible with PM, order a Public Mobile SIM card.  It's completely free so you have nothing to lose, just remove your existing SIM card, install the PM SIM card, and restart your phone.  If it doesn't work (because your phone is locked) then you'll have to get another (unlocked) phone or get your phone unlocked or put your old SIM card back and continue using your existing service.

@Cath Even without a SIM or plan all cell phones in Canada can reach 911.

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@marykitcat Is it possible that lifeline is a service or agency which provided you with a phone to use as a 911 phone should you require immediate emergency service?  If this is the case, please let us know here.  There are a number of details members of the forum will need to ask you in order to provide you with good information.  We are all eager to help.

@marykitcat, I never heard of that carrier or co. Only PM Sims work for PM, not for any other Carrier

@marykitcat Only SIMs obtained from Publc Mobile will work. Does your SIM say "Public Mobile"?

mightytb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@marykitcat Have you read the orange section of this page?

Need Help? Let's chat.