cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to change location without change phone number in 902 area code

thomastong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dears,

I'm moving from PEI to Halifax and already change my address to Halifax in my profile. However, seems that I'm still using PEI as my phone number location.

Is there a way to change my location without change my phone number as both locations can using 902 as the area code? 

13 REPLIES 13

Also they repopulate numbers every morning so if you didn't find anything now, try tomorrow morning

@thomastong wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@pmmobile wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@thomastong 

If people have to pay long distance to reach you and you still want to keep your number you do have some options. You could open an account with fongo or freephobeline and get a free local number which you can forward again for free to your original number. 

@thomastong  If this is the case, you could also use messaging apps such as WhatsApp over data or Wifi. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends/family all over the world

While I'm using WhatsApp extensively, here is @Jb456 's reasoning for using TextNow (or fongo etc, I guess) over messaging apps: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/US-Text/m-p/485769#M62205 

I use textNow since i can call any landline for free, others didn't need to have anything but working phone too receive the call, sometimes ( if i have good connection) they don't know it's not my cell calling unless the pay attention to the number. It's a great companion to $15 plan

But call forward is not free with textnow, it's about $4 monthly. 

Do you mean TextNow can provide a phone number for a normal phone call? Any idea about the area code for the number provided from TextNow?

Thx

Hi @thomastong 

If you go with fongo you can pick exchange

With textNow app will offer a list of 902 numbers but you will have to find out where those numbers are located.

So i guess fongo does make it easier

Yes they both give you normal Canadian number and they let you call Canadian numbers ( well fongo has some calling limitations, textnow offers for both usa and Canada totally free calling in/out mms in/out but no forwarding, i use fongo if i need that)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@thomastong Then unless you can negotiate an exception with the intercom supplier, you are stuck getting a local number from within self serve; or a second PM account just for the intercom. Annoying.

OR, a free TextNow / Fongo / Talkatone / etc. phone number in an area code the intercom can dial...  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@thomastong wrote:

Thanks for all your help. 

The reason behind this is that the intercom system in my new apartment not able to call my 902 phone number and I would like to keep my existing phone number for good. Anyway, thanks again.

@thomastong Then unless you can negotiate an exception with the intercom supplier, you are stuck getting a local number from within self serve; or a second PM account just for the intercom. Annoying.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

thomastong

@totalUser wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@pmmobile wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@thomastong 

If people have to pay long distance to reach you and you still want to keep your number you do have some options. You could open an account with fongo or freephobeline and get a free local number which you can forward again for free to your original number. 

@thomastong  If this is the case, you could also use messaging apps such as WhatsApp over data or Wifi. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends/family all over the world

While I'm using WhatsApp extensively, here is @Jb456 's reasoning for using TextNow (or fongo etc, I guess) over messaging apps: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/US-Text/m-p/485769#M62205 

I use textNow since i can call any landline for free, others didn't need to have anything but working phone too receive the call, sometimes ( if i have good connection) they don't know it's not my cell calling unless the pay attention to the number. It's a great companion to $15 plan

Do you mean TextNow can provide a phone number for a normal phone call? Any idea about the area code for the number provided from TextNow?

Thx

thomastong

Thanks for all your help. 

The reason behind this is that the intercom system in my new apartment not able to call my 902 phone number and I would like to keep my existing phone number for good. Anyway, thanks again.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@pmmobile wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@thomastong 

@pmmobile wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@thomastong 

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kselmak wrote:

@thomastong 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@thomastong 

@thomastong  Is there a specific reason you want to chenge the location? Is it so you are not long distance for other callers?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@thomastong wrote:

Dears,

I'm moving from PEI to Halifax and already change my address to Halifax in my profile. However, seems that I'm still using PEI as my phone number location.

Is there a way to change my location without change my phone number as both locations can using 902 as the area code? 

Your phone number location is independent of your actual address. As long as you have a Canada wide plan you can pick a number from anywhare in Canada. Your taxes are based of the phone number's location, not your address.

If you are trying to get a more local Halifax number, log into your account, click Change My Number, scroll down to Halifax and see what is available.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@thomastong wrote:

Dears,

Sorry, but this isn't something that can be done. Any phone number is linked to a specific city and that can't be changed. If you want a phone number for the city that you're in, your only options are to either get another account with a new number or for you to change your current phone number. You could also decided to just have one phone number and keep your old number, but it will still be considered to be from the city that it was originally designated to.

Need Help? Let's chat.