cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does it take to port a cell phone number? (my 2 years old none active cell number)

fonzy35
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

how long does it take to port a cell phone number?

it's been 30 minutes just about.

i can call and text out, but not received.

Edited Added: my 2 years old none active cell number

tia

20 REPLIES 20

fonzy35

Thanks for all the help, after i contacted the mod, they fix it.

1- I try to port one of my old none active cell number(and no one was using)

2- wasn't able to port, and mod had to open a new account to associate my sim card number with a new cell number.

3-Mod did credited $$ from my second account in the third account even it was my fault.

4- Second account doesn't exit anymore, but they got my $10 per 30 days working again.

Thanks for all the help

fonzy35

thanks man, i contacted the mod about my virgin port not working, it he said its because my old cell number was not actif anymore on my virgin account, so they're going to gave me another cell number

fonzy35

@stonechucker wrote:

A good attempt to help @Jarvar, but by the admission of the OP, the number was not active (at least for the OP that is) as it was last used 2 years ago.

As already pointed out, the number is most likely already assigned to a new user from the previous provider.

No my old virgin cell number, no one got it when i call it, its floating somewhere in the virtual recycle bin

A good attempt to help @Jarvar, but by the admission of the OP, the number was not active (at least for the OP that is) as it was last used 2 years ago.

As already pointed out, the number is most likely already assigned to a new user from the previous provider.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to Public Mobile @fonzy35 I think a worker at WoW Mobile told me it could take 24 hours. However in most instances the port is complete withing 2 hours. Mine took almost two hours. I was told to wait until I lost all service on my previous carrier before removing the SIM and then insert the new activated SIM card from Public Mobile. That was the best way to find out that the service was switched over. I later received text messages from Public Mobile several more hours later that the port was complete. I think that was more of a courtesy then when the actual port was complete though.

I hope that gives you a time frame of what you can expect.

Just for your own information. If later on you can call and text out, but not receive, you may need to contact the Moderator team for an issue with the porting.

When I ported another family member's number over, they could call out and receive texts and use data, but could not receive any calls. When I messaged the moderators, they informed me it was a failed port and needed to be resubmitted. After they did that everything worked.

So if it doesn't work within the allotted time frame, there is no harm in reaching out to the moderator team.

Here is some steps

If the Community is stumped by your question or if you have an account specific issue, then it’s time to contact our super-knowledgeable Moderator Team.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• If you don’t need to share personal or account information, just tag @Moderator_Team to your thread and they’ll show up. Just like that.
  • If you need to share personal or account info, send a private message to the Moderator Team by clicking the envelope icon, then ‘New Message’, and address your message to Moderator_Team.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.fig2.png

When are Moderators available and how long till I get a response?

During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.

Moderators are available:

• Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 9 PM Eastern time.
  • Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM to 7:30 PM Eastern time.

How do I know if a Moderator has looked at my question or responded?

Once a Moderator has opened your support ticket, they’ll send you a private message asking you to authenticate your account information. You will need to provide your account number and PIN to validate your account information. You can find this message by clicking on the envelope icon.

If you have not changed your account settings since creating your Community account, you will automatically receive email notifications when someone has sent you a private message. To modify this, just click on your Community avatar, then on ‘My Settings’, then navigate to the ‘Preferences tab’, then select ‘Private Messenger’ and checkmark the box beside ‘Receive email notifications for new private messages”.fig3.png

Are there any questions that always require a Moderator?

There definitely are, and here are some examples of when to contact Moderators directly:

• There’s an issue with your Public Mobile service that prevents you from using your phone to make calls, a feature is bugged, or if earned Rewards aren’t showing up.
  • You’ve ordered a SIM card online, it’s been more than 7 days, and you haven’t received it yet.
  • You would like to change your Self-Serve email address, or make other Self-Serve account changes that you are unable to do yourself.

To learn more about our Community, click here.

And here is a link to their Public Mobile post about contacting them and related thinds.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@fonzy35 wrote:

Edited Added: my 2 years old none active cell number

tia

None Active #, No, your old # gone back to Provider's for recycle, someone will have it 

_parth23

Usually when porting a number it shouldn’t take long, but there is no need to worry you should be up in 24 hours, if you still have problems try get a hold of a mod and they will assist you on when steps you will need to take. 

fonzy35

@will13am wrote:

@fonzy35 wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

So it is still not ported yet?

I think the previous poster might be right on this one..

[quote]"In order to be eligible for a number port, the number needs to be resident in an active account.  What you describe seems rather sketchy.  It probably won't port. "[/quote]

We'll see in a few days..

Are you able to use the number you are trying to port?  

ok from my working sim first account, i try to call the second sim waiting port, no can do, but i can text.

i remove the working sim, and put the second account sim waiting port, and a message was waiting for me, no missing call . then  i call out and its working on the second sim..

then a message came in

"Public Mobile here: We're experiencing difficulties processing your request to move to Public Mobile. Please go to PublicMobile.ca, click Contact us and complete the SIM & Activation online form. Thanks."

@fonzy35 wrote:

@MoreYummy wrote:

[quote]"In order to be eligible for a number port, the number needs to be resident in an active account.  What you describe seems rather sketchy.  It probably won't port. "[/quote]

Are you able to use the number you are trying to port?  Can you make a call from it using your old service?  If not, you can wait a few weeks, nothing will happen.  The only reason why there is a lead time for the porting is that the various computer systems at the carriers which keep track of the phone number database syncs from time to time.  A number port within the Telus family is instantaneous because there is no inter carrier exchange of information. 

fonzy35

@MoreYummy wrote:

@fonzy35 wrote:

Thanks for all the answeres guys.

Not sure if it will work, i'm trying it on a second PM account.

It's my 2 years old phone number from Vigine mobile that was lost in a Vitrual Bin(that they told me). It was lost in Virtual Bin because it wasn't port to Bell before opening an account with Bell home phone number. So i try having that phone number back with PM..

Probably won't work, but i can call and text from it, and the number is change in my PM account and on my sim card after rebooting my cell..

That account is not urgent at the moment, i let it time to work for a couple day if it get 100% port over.

Tia

In order to be eligible for a number port, the number needs to be resident in an active account.  What you describe seems rather sketchy.  It probably won't port. 

fonzy35

Thanks for all the answeres guys.

Not sure if it will work, i'm trying it on a second PM account.

It's my 2 years old phone number from Vigine mobile that was lost in a Vitrual Bin(that they told me). It was lost in Virtual Bin because it wasn't port to Bell before opening an account with Bell home phone number. So i try having that phone number back with PM..

Probably won't work, but i can call and text from it, and the number is change in my PM account and on my sim card after rebooting my cell..

That account is not urgent at the moment, i let it time to work for a couple day if it get 100% port over.

Tia

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@fonzy35 wrote:

tia

Hey @fonzy35 and welcome to public mobile 🙂

It usually takes a couple hours for everthing to work on a normal cell port. While this may resolve itself this morning after rebooting the phone again there may have also been a "partially" completed port. If it's still not working this morning I would send a message to the mods asap to have them take a look. Especially because of the current wait times you want to get your name in now as its been taking 48-72 hours to get a response!

Click this to send them a message  Please include in the private message your phone number, name, your account number and PIN code with as much detail as possible to prevent the need for more contact so they can solve the issue right away.

Community moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 9am (EDT) to 9pm (EDT) Saturday and Sunday from 9am (EDT) to 7pm (EDT) and strive to answer within the hour, but in peak periods could be up to 72 hours. Please be patient

More about contacting moderator team Click Here

emilyL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ported my number from Speakout (7/11) a few months ago and it took less than 30 minutes.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

@fonzy35 It all depends on who you're porting the number from. What carrier did you port the number from? My guess is it'll be completed by morning.

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just ported my number a few days ago. It took just under an hour.

tim5681
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i did that before ,need half hour 

@fonzy35

For most mobile lines, within a couple of hours.  If landline or VOIP line, can be several days.  

You can continue to use your old service/SIM until the port is complete.  You may need to re-start your phone when the port is complete.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

It can vary from 15mins to a few hours...if all goes well.

Need Help? Let's chat.