cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I stop calls to unknown number to me that is originating from my phone?!

lkg4ansrs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Moderator_Team My usage says that I am making calls to 9025804001  but there is no way that I am making these calls?  Is this a scam or just lax security with Public Mobile?

34 REPLIES 34

LenK

I am not complaining, although it may sound like it. For my needs, the 50-50 is still the very best available with any carrier. It's really the spam calls that got me annoyed.

You’ve said you’re on the 50/50 talk and txt limited plan.  This plan charges minutes when you use your cell phone to check voice mail.  It’s in the contents of the spoiler area, of the first post in the thread announcing that plan.

if you want free access to your voicemail, either use the suggestion I’ve provided for you, or change your plan to an unlimited talk option, being one of Province, Canada, or Canada and US calling.

LenK

Although I really do appreciate the tip, especially the how-to part, more often than not, doing so would prevent quick acess to voice mail. Can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess.

Check your voicemail from an unmetered phone number, such as a landline.

To do so, call your cell number, and when the greeting starts, press #.

LenK

Great...I am on the 50 min 50 text plan, which is great for my needs.

But...I get a voicemail from an unknown number and get charged to go to voicemail to find out that it is a phone scam call. What's wrong with this picture?

I suppose it is PM's way of preventing me from receiving a "free" message?

LenK

We are talking about calls TO an unknown number, whereas you are referring to calls FROM an unknown number.

MVP
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wrote:

Well I was really commenting to say that it seemed funny that I had mentioned it as being the possible problem... but the OP selected yours as the answer.  I'm not looking for a correction, as I'm here to help.....just thought it was funny.

It's okay... I got overlooked again today when an OP responded with a 'thanks for the input' post, and selected their own post as the solution.   

Dems da breaks!!

:0 no worries,  I certainly do not want to bathe in someone else's glory..  🙂  Lets hope mods correct the mistake 🙂 

Well I was really commenting to say that it seemed funny that I had mentioned it as being the possible problem... but the OP selected yours as the answer.  I'm not looking for a correction, as I'm here to help.....just thought it was funny.

It's okay... I got overlooked again today when an OP responded with a 'thanks for the input' post, and selected their own post as the solution.   

Dems da breaks!!

MVP

wrote:

Congrats to @MVP for the solution... two posts after someone else called it 😉

Dem's da breaks.

:0  @stonechucker if ure implying that I was unfairly  granted a "solution" badge (were I?),  because your post was before mine, 

I'm all for correcting that  mistake. Mods, please award  @stonechucker with the solution badge instead! 🙂

Congrats to @MVP for the solution... two posts after someone else called it 😉

Dem's da breaks.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey there @lkg4ansrs

That phone number is simply your voicemail number. Normally the area code (902 in this case) matches the province you are in.

If you want, you can send us a private message with your phone number and PIN so we take a look at this for you 🙂 

Saray 

You don't know if it's AM or PM because there is no designation of such in the usage history, and it is also not a 24 hour clock.

WEB data is reported twice a day, and I don't send text messages regularly before 8 am, so I know the ones listed for 6 - 7 o'clock are in the evening.

Another failure of the usage history information display.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

could it be the timezone difference that got messed up?

ronster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Yeah I too got an unrecognizable outgoing phone number in my usage as well. Then I remember I received an unknown number that day and they left me a VM.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lkg4ansrs at least a couple of possible explanations:

1) Your phone didn't have signal at the time the call came through.  Since this is happening in the middle of the night, it's possible your phone has gone into some sort of deep sleep mode and isn't waking up properly to receive the call?  What phone is it, and what verison of your respective OS (iOS or Android)?

2) Have you added any numbers to your blocked calls list on your phone?  If you have, they are immediately redirected to your voicemail without rinigng through.  I just had a look at the call history on my phone (OnePlus 5T running Android 8.0.0, previously 7.1.1 when I last had a blocked call) and it doesn't show the blocked calls.  That said, my phone DOES give me a notification in my notifications area when it blocks a call.  It's possible yours doesn't?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

lkg4ansrs

I would have a number on my phone that shows an unanswered incoming call.

MVP

wrote:

Nope. Didn't receive a call at 5am or close to the time my voicemail made a call.

How did you know if you havent answered it?

This patticular aspect  of public voicemail functioning was confusing to me too...

lkg4ansrs

Nope. Didn't receive a call at 5am or close to the time my voicemail made a call.

MVP

wrote:

From talking to others using Public Mobile, looks like it's voicemail. Still not sure why my voicemail makes calls at 5am while I'm sleeping though!

Exactly because u did not answer, and your phone automatically  called out your voicemail number?

lkg4ansrs

From talking to others using Public Mobile, looks like it's voicemail. Still not sure why my voicemail makes calls at 5am while I'm sleeping though!

wrote:

@lkg4ansrs, this looks much like the voicemail access number on my cell phone.  Could these be everytime you call voice mail to check a message?

Mystery solved.  I wish I could bravo this more than once!

People and companies who do not want you to know who they really are use faked phone numbers quite often.  This can be telemarketing firms or flat-out sometimes even people trying to scam you.

One of the tricks that these people will do is make the call display show  a number that is similar to yours (or even the same) in the hope that you will answer the call.

However, I've found that most of the time when I receive incoming calls supposedly from a phone number that starts with the same set of phone numbers as mine, I know that it's almost always a  b.s. call.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@lkg4ansrs..... I just checked on my phone.... change the 902 to 226 and I have the same number as you.  My number is in area code 226, so I would assume you’re in area code 902, or within normal local area calling of the 902 area code.

MVP

It is voicemail, people! 🙂

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@lkg4ansrs, this looks much like the voicemail access number on my cell phone.  Could these be everytime you call voice mail to check a message?

@lkg4ansrs

Spoofed phone numbers (and "phone phreaks", the predecessors of modern "computer hackers") were common in olden times.  I wouldn't be surprised if technical methods still exist to "borrow" or "fake" other people's phone numbers today.  Though I honestly can't imagine how this would be done remotely, unless these calls/numbers are injected into or intercepted within the system from the "inside".  Or it's just an innocent typo or an inconvenient billing error.

But on the device itself ... my immediate suspicion is that your phone is running some sort of spyware or malware.  There's probably downloadable tools to clean it up, but it would probably be better to simply erase/reset the phone completely (after backing up anything you want to save).  There's also task-manager or task-killer apps which can help you monitor and control exactly what's running "in the background", but they're not guaranteed to be fully reliable for this purpose unless you've rooted the phone and allowed them to have "full" priority (alongside the operating system itself) above other installed/running software.

But yeah, inform PM of the details, they may need to monitor or investigate (or report) some sort of potential abuse.  And change your PM passwords - in fact change every password you've submitted through your phone - just to be prudent, probably unrelated to this other mysterious issue but it might halt potential problems you wouldn't want to deal with the hard way.  Maybe request a new PM SIM card, too, again just to be prudent.

Their has been much talk about a "new" vulnerability called "SPECTRE/MELTDOWN" which could theoretically exploit phones with ARM processors in this way (and many other ways), but unless your issue is reported by hordes of people in the near future then I seriously doubt it's at all relevant.  It's certainly irrelevant if the dates these calls were made are earlier than the date this (potential) vulnerability was discovered.

lkg4ansrs

Will do that. Thanks.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@lkg4ansrs, this warrants investigation by the moderator team.  I suggest sending them a private message with account details.  Even if they read this thread, they will ask for private message communication anyway.  Use this link to private message the moderator team.  Refer to the following link for information on contacting the moderator team.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

lkg4ansrs

I for sure don't know anyone in Nova Scotia

lkg4ansrs

That number is not in my phone's call history.

Need Help? Let's chat.