cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting a long distance message when calling to another city /W $25 plan

georgepacan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

im getting a long distance message when i call my home from a different city for example toronto then the call normally proceeds but i havent got charged yet, so i dunno whats up wit that. all tho i have the $25 unlimited province wide plan

10 REPLIES 10

Oh boy, here we go again.  This has to be my tenth time explaining this.

Toronto to Hamilton, no matter what your area code and the receiving party’s area code, it is a long distance call, even on a Province wide plan, because Hamilton and Toronto are NOT local dialing citys.

back in the day, before 10 digit dialing, we had local calling areas.  As I do not know the local area calling for these two city’s, I will use Cambridge and Kitchener, both in 519, 226 and a new third areacode I do not recall.

A call from the former two towns of Preston and Galt, could call Kitchener as a local call, but the 3rd part of Cambridge, the village of Hespeler, had to call Long Distance to Kitcher, but could call the City of Guelph as a local call, when Preston and Galt could not.

Public Mobile does not include, in any package, local area calling, but to call what is still a long distance call on a landline, you still need to dial in the proper format.  When you don’t dial long distance, they convert it for you, and warn you, just in case your plan requires extra charges to complete it (which will never happen on Public Mobile).

This is the a huge problem for provincial boundaries, where it’s a landline local call, but use your Province wide cell phone, and it won’t complete, unless you have LD addon available.

To get rid of the message, put +1 on every phone call, or update your contacts as such.

I still maintain that Public Mobile, and anyother cellular provider must respect local calling areas first, then increase to Province wide or nation wide plans thereafter.

NemoPM

I am getting the same error message, but I do have canada wide calling and texting. I cant call any numbers, local or long distance, so my phone is pretty much useless. I have tried with and without the "1" in front of the number. Whats up with this?

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@georgepacan,

Public Mobile is a prepaid service. You will not be charged extra, so text and call away. You prepay upfront for your services. 🙂

georgepacan

@matbasm ok thx for the heads up

matbasm

Toronto to Hamilton is not a long distance call on the province wide plan.  However, as @mimmo said, you should prefix your home number with +1.

georgepacan

@matbasm no im in hamilton ,since my # starts w/ 289 and my house number is also 289

matbasm

Are you currently in your home city? 

Is the place you are calling to within the province you are in?  If the answer to this second question is yes, then it is definitely not a long distance call on the province-wide plan.

Is there any chance you are near the border of the province, and are being picked up by a cell tower that is in the neighbouring province?

georgepacan

i dont have LD

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

usually adding a 1 or +1 infront of the number helps get rid of the message.

KMG

That long distance message will often be heard when placing calls, but as long as the call goes through, there's nothing to worry about.

Do you have a long distance add-on?  Because if you don't, there's no risk of being charged for a "long distance" call that shouldn't actually be long distance.

Need Help? Let's chat.