cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting US Roaming when already in the US

yvinogradov
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If I purchase US roaming before I leave Canada and I want to buy another 10-days worth, when already in the US, should I wait until the first roaming package expires or can I purchase another before that, while I still have roaming data on my phone?

Thank you all taking the time to answer!

16 REPLIES 16

drburke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yes our base - canadian - plan is paid up and active 

@mimmo wrote:

@yvinogradov  yes you can you can actuall call 18554public even without a roaming plan.  (but you need to know your account pin and have a cc on file)

it takes time 1 day for the addons to reset, so you might need to buy a different data plan.

also make sure you do not buy roaming plans that duplicate calling a calling option as that will call issues when calling.

How does it work? When I dial 18554, I got a message said if I need change plan or etc , I have to go self service account.

@yvinogradov wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@yvinogradov  yes you can you can actuall call 18554public even without a roaming plan.  (but you need to know your account pin and have a cc on file)

it takes time 1 day for the addons to reset, so you might need to buy a different data plan.

also make sure you do not buy roaming plans that duplicate calling a calling option as that will call issues when calling.

Just to confirm - I can call this number from the US even if I don't have a roaming plan? But what carrier would I connect through? To make this call that is? Or should I use a payphone? Not that there are many payphones left in the US...

Thanks!

I have not tried myself, but I trust when @mimmo says that it works.  You would be connecting to either T-Mobile or AT&T.  Public Mobile has roaming agreements with both and you can connect to either network without a roaming add-on.  You do need a roaming add-on for usage though.

yvinogradov

@mimmo wrote:

Just to confirm - I can call this number from the US even if I don't have a roaming plan? But what carrier would I connect through? To make this call that is? Or should I use a payphone? Not that there are many payphones left in the US...

Thanks!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@drburke wrote:

Put 10 day US Roaming text and talk and data. On the first day called from USA to Canada no problem. But on the 2nd day the Public computer voice told me did not have talk on the plan. But obviously talk is part of the p,an. Please advise what is going on with not being able to call Canada. Would like this answered by a Moderator

@drburke  to contact the moderators you need to send moderator_team a private message

have you tried the lost stolen trick it can act as a soft account reset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@drburke wrote:

Put 10 day US Roaming text and talk and data. On the first day called from USA to Canada no problem. But on the 2nd day the Public computer voice told me did not have talk on the plan. But obviously talk is part of the p,an. Please advise what is going on with not being able to call Canada. Would like this answered by a Moderator

Is your base plan still active and current and paid up?

drburke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@yvinogradov wrote:

@hairbag1 wrote:

@yvinogradov wrote:

If I purchase US roaming before I leave Canada and I want to buy another 10-days worth, when already in the US, should I wait until the first roaming package expires or can I purchase another before that, while I still have roaming data on my phone?

Best to get a second one after the first has expired. There can be problems when you have 2 of them at the saame time. Good luck.

Sorry, misread your response.

So I have to let the first one expire, overlapping packages are no good, got it.

So I'd need to find an 'internet connection donor" - a MacDonalds with a free Wifi or someone with a hotspot to connect to PM? Or is there a number to call? 

Thank you!

I've never used the phone method but I have bought the US Roaming Add-on using the free wifi at Wallyworld in USA. Works good.

mimmo

@yvinogradov   the system does not allow you to  buy the same addon within the same 10 day period. 

you can however have two different  data addons overlapping at the same time. 

its only the talk that causes issues when overlapping.

yvinogradov

@mimmo wrote:

@yvinogradov wrote:

Great, thanks, good to know. So what's the actual number I need to dial while in the US?

# 1-855-478-2542
# 1-855-4PUBLIC

Great, thanks, will save this number in my Contacts!

yvinogradov

@hairbag1 wrote:

@yvinogradov wrote:

Best to get a second one after the first has expired. There can be problems when you have 2 of them at the saame time. Good luck.

Sorry, misread your response.

So I have to let the first one expire, overlapping packages are no good, got it.

So I'd need to find an 'internet connection donor" - a MacDonalds with a free Wifi or someone with a hotspot to connect to PM? Or is there a number to call? 

Thank you!

mimmo

@yvinogradov wrote:

Great, thanks, good to know. So what's the actual number I need to dial while in the US?

# 1-855-478-2542
# 1-855-4PUBLIC

yvinogradov

@mimmo wrote:

yvinogradov

@hairbag1 wrote:

@yvinogradov wrote:

Best to get a second one after the first has expired.

Great, thanks, so I guess in this case I'd use the time period that overlaps between the two roaming packages, correct?

mimmo

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@yvinogradov wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.