cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freedom mobile has an Unlimited Talk & Text at just $99/year!

sahands
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

At just the equivalent of $8.25/month for unlimited Talk & Text, freedom puts my PM $10/month for 50 min talk & 50 text plan to shame!

27 REPLIES 27

sahands

Are you sure they charge $20 to port numbers? I thought CRTC had made it free for everyone.

My phone supports two SIM card, so I'm thinking of doing phone calls through freedom, and data with PM.

I know some guys on Freedom, they seem to have decent cell service, they seem to use lots of data. They don't seem to complain about bad service. Except when visiting Chilliwack, which is completely outside their (Abbotsford) Freedom Zone.

They're happy enough with Freedom to decline my PM referrals, lol.

I'm happy enough with PM to stay on PM. Every now and then a competitor (like Freedom) has something going which might randomly save me another five bucks. Sticking with PM consistently saves me enough, Loyalty accumulates, Referrals add up, sporadic gifts and freebies keep my account stuffed.

Freedom $14/month (no contract) or $99/year ($8.25/month, 1-year contract) for Unlimited Talk/Text, no data.

Plus $20 Freedom SIM card, plus $10 Freedom Plan Activation Fee, plus $20 Freedom Number Port (if you want to keep your existing number). Plus any other charges you might invoke from time to time. So total "per month" price over a year works out to $18.16+/month (no contract) or $12.41+/month (with contract).

Compare vs PM $10 SIM card, PM $15 Limited plan (with $5 add-on, if needed), PM $25 Unlimited plan. Some data provided on plan. Canada-wide coverage, no "zones" no long-distance or roaming charges. AutoPay discount. Never charged extra for anything. Loyalty Reward grows each year.

sahands

no it's not my phone(s), I've used PM with a galaxy alpha, and currently with the A2 lite.

@sahands  out of curiosity ...you mentioned "dt" which I presume is downtown. I'm just curious what kind of phone do you have?  Many (not saying you) or on Public Mobile network. Could be any provider bell, Rogers,etc mention not so good service and sometimes it comes down to the hardware they're using and not the provider ....

sahands

To be honest I have not had great service from PM in my 2 years with them. I'm in DT and my signal is not so great, more than once I've had missed calls without my phone ever ringing. I'm fully willing to take the freedom mobile risk if they were to offer a good data plan. I use data for anything but social media and streaming, so with email, weather, chats, maps, news etc. I use about 150MB/Month, so it makes no sense to pay $15/mo for 1.5GB at freedom!

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@sahands, you get what you pay for is the old saying. If it sounds too good to be true, then you have to wonder out loud and say, 'hmmmm!'

I will be too afraid in areas when I truly need to make a call, and instead, I can't even call out. I have a few of my friends who have tried Wind/Freedom Mobile and left for greener or leaner pastures. But, to those who do leave, you can always come back to Public Mobile.

Theta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Freedom has some pretty good deals and in the right places, pretty decent coverage however I just switched from their $40 for 9GBs plan to Public's $40 for 5GBs today because the moment I entered my apartment building, coverage would totally vanish. I was missing almost all calls until I left the building which admittedly, under Covid conditions, I have not been doing a lot of. 

If you are thinking of switching to Freedom, make sure to ask local friends about the quality of coverage. Don't rely on the online coverage map as it indicates service availability, not service quality.  

Good luck! 

@zblackma wrote:

My daughter looked at the plan, its hard get a Freedom SIM. All of there booths are closed and there version of Simon that the are using to sell there SIM cards makes ours look like a genius. 

Well, when I last looked, they had 'em on Amazon, and on Ebay.....

That, and given some of their plans, I probably would have switched to them a while back, BUT a quick look at their coverage map, and all the talk of roaming, and the many mentions of lousy connections is pretty much a turn-off. If they ever get their doo-doo together, and can offer competitive coverage, they might see a mass influx of customers, but 'til then.....

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The Bellus network puts the freedom network to shame.  End of discussion.

It is indeed a good offer. However, my friend joined Freedom last month, and he has only 2 lines of signal strength in DT and none in subway. With PM, I have strong signal in both places.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JoyLuck wow that's even worse than I would have thought without looking ! I wonder how they're even still around? 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sahands wrote:

At just the equivalent of $8.25/month for unlimited Talk & Text, freedom puts my PM $10/month for 50 min talk & 50 text plan to shame!

1.  $99/year = 1 year contract 

2.  Since this a prepaid plan, if one leaves Freedom early and no refund of the unused days, this will be an expensive plan.

3.  To compare Apple to Apple, pay monthly price is $14.  

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@sahands wrote:

HMMMMMmmmm there must be a reason why people here aren't rushing to join over there??  Probably the coverage and past  experience with Wind/Freedom

No thanks. Pretty spotty out west here. Some larger centres but not very far. Then it's roaming. Rogers. Really no thanks.

I'll keep my 2 active and 1 suspended $10 plans thank you. Rewards and gifts and I don't care to go anywhere else. Why would I...it's frickin' Telus.

@geopublic wrote:

@JoyLuck that's unfortunate if your l post was removed.

My post and link were removed, but here is a screen grab:

Freedom_Mobile_Reviews___Read_Customer_Service_Reviews_of_www_freedommobile_ca.jpg

@geopublic wrote:

@ShawnC13  Just out of curiosity how do you know they are not joining?

I don't, I just would have thought that if there were a lot we would be hearing about it more

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13  Just out of curiosity how do you know they are not joining?

@JoyLuck that's unfortunate if your l post was removed.

Pawprints1986

They have terrible service at least as of a couple years ago. I know someone that had it and couldn't even get reliable service in their basement.... I have no plans of switching to them lol

zblackma

My daughter looked at the plan, its hard get a Freedom SIM. All of there booths are closed and there version of Simon that the are using to sell there SIM cards makes ours look like a genius. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@sahands wrote:

HMMMMMmmmm there must be a reason why people here aren't rushing to join over there??  Probably the coverage and past  experience with Wind/Freedom

Google reviews on Freedom Mobile.

(I tried posting the link, but my post got removed)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sahands wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@sahands  Definitely a great plan for those looking for unlimited talk and text and receive good Freedom coverage in their area. 👍

@ChuckYeah 

I would like to know if they really honor roaming within Canada. They didn't couple years back, only if you were in no coverage area, my area had towers we never had connection and roaming didn't work. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

That's a great deal, assuming the service is good in your area.

Before you sign up and port your number, you might think about setting up a new number and try the service out.

I've even heard concerns with freedoms service in some of the largest cities.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sahands  I guess it's time to switch to freedom.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

There is a thread about Freedom mobile deal posted a few days ago

Link below.

Click here 

Need Help? Let's chat.