cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

# fraudulently ported to Public Mobile

Bballer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am a Fido customer and my number was fraudulently ported to Public Mobile and removed from me. 

I can’t find anyway to get in touch with PM? I am waiting for Fido to get back to me but now to also reach out and advise PM of the fraudulent activity.

This has been an ultimate nightmare with two factor authentication using my phone number... which is presented as a security feature but is absolutely not when something like this can so easily happen! 

Does anyone have a verified way to contact them? I found a phone # on reddit but am too scared to call in case it’s a fraudulent phone number. I can’t even put in a ticket without being a customer. 

9 REPLIES 9

@Bballer   Its good to hear you were aware of this scam so you could leap into action and minimize any financial losses. Set up extra verification questions with your accounts. I even have secret code words for my credit cards when using phone support. If the secret word is not used the CS agents will not discuss the account (nor will my bank at all). If you suspect any issues with your bank accounts you can call and have them suspend your online banking until you can make it to branch or speak to the banks fraud department.  Sometimes the best time to speak to to your banks fraud department is in the middle of.the night. Minimal wait times as they operate 24hrs.

Bballer

Trying to get into my gmail to remove my ph # was first (couldn’t do it in time though and they had already locked me out of my email Which is connected to all of my accounts) and then calling my banks was next.

Thank goodness I had read a new article about this a few weeks ago or I wouldn’t have known what was happening and wouldn’t have jumped into action so quick.

We spent 6hrs changing getting a new email and using another ph # to reset our main passwords for Important things. 

Bballer

Thank you for the info and the tip to set up the email responses so I don’t miss anything, much appreciated. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JoyLuck wrote:

Here is a link..

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

I am not sure whether moderator can do anything because moderator has nothing to ask @Bballer to verify that @Bballer is the owner of that number.  I think Fido need to get involve to get it back from PM.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Bballer 

A PM customer had her number ported out. Here are suggestion from @darlicious 

Re: The cell number had been stolen

@clarahong  As soon as you get up today you need to call Equifax and Transunion the two Canadian credit reporting agencies and place 7 year fraud alerts under your name. This will ensure that if anyone tries to apply for credit under your name they are required by law to contact you and get your permission/verify that you are indeed applying for credit. If they can't reach you or you deny its you the credit application is  turned down. Leave a secure number like a parent's until you can update your file with your number. Contact your banks fraud department and discuss any extra layers of security that can be applied to your accounts such as code words and do the same with all your credit cards and financial accounts. I have all email and phone contact removed from my accounts and verification codes can only be mailed to me, phone banking is blocked and tellers are required to ask for two pieces of id before performing any in branch transactions. Be vigilant....i had a new teller not ask me for id last week even after prompting him. I reported it immediately  and he was to recieve extra training as the bank is liable to ensure my finances are secure.

I feel for your financial nightmare but take the steps now to protect yourself from it happening to you ever again. When you get your phone number and account restored with public mobileslightly or entirely change your name in your account so your number can't be fraudulently ported out unless someone knows you are HRH Diana Spencer Mountbatten Windsor.......

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bballer  I would contact your bank's and change account info right away.

If you did not initiate the transfer then someone got ahold of your name tel number and one of account number, IMEI or fido account pin.

The following are personal opinions:

I am not sure however how much mods will be able to do as from their eyes you could be trying to gain access to an account that "is not yours".

I think your best bet is with fido which will somehow need to be InTouch with PM, and not sure the logistics of that.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to hear that this happened to you @Bballer.   Everthing is online here, the moderators are PM cuctomer service, use this private message link to contact the moderators directly and explain what happened https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

To contact a moderator who can access your account to assist you do the following:

Click on the green question mark in the bottom right of your screen.Type "moderator" and follow the prompts.

Choose "account-specific question" and then "No, I want a human" and submit a ticket. Once connected follow the prompts to submit your question.

Check the envelope icon (top right) to make sure your message was sent in the sent folder and the reply from the moderator will be in your inbox.

"To ensure the safety of our team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Moderator team is working at reduced levels. During this time, you may experience longer than normal wait times when contacting our Moderator team for help."

Moderator Hours:
- Monday to Friday: 8AM- midnight EST
- Saturday and Sunday: 8AM- 10PM EST

Need Help? Let's chat.