cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

did the old plan 4G LTE.

Ottawatech
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
When I signed up they never told me if it was 3G or 4G LTE
But now they are saying they have both plans and the price for 4G LTE is more then when I signed up... but I have 4G LTE ?

Why would they price 4G higher then when I signed up. Win for me I guess if I'm on the new 4G LTE network because the price is much higher.
36 REPLIES 36

Enjoy 🙂 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Public-Mobile-Pricing/m-p/298268/hi...

@Someone_here wrote:

New pricing table 🙂

I changed the design a little bit, I think it makes it easier to compare...

Enjoy!

PM price chart nov 21 2018.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mrleeio the good news is, you get to keep that same $120 price point for the foreseeable future.  So, even though your friends and family may no longer get to benefit, at least you do.  Some small solace?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mrleeio
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I currently pay $120 for 90 days of service which includes:

• 12 GB LTE data
  • unlimted worldwide texting
  • unlimited provincial texting

The same plan now costs over $100 more with the new pricing structure.

I can no longer recommend Public Mobile to my friends or family because of this ridiculous price increase.  If people are going to pay the same price as other companies why would they sign up with Public Mobile?  At least with the other companies you get things like phone support and physical stores.

I would reconsider these price points Public Mobile.

-- a previously happy customer.

MajorTalent
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Someone_here wrote:

FYI...

CompleteCompleteSummarySummary

Spoiler

I quoted as well for the same reason. Thanks 

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

First thank you to @Someone_here for the chart - really helps compare.

Admitedly traditionally prices do go up over time and I'm also glad that PM has normally grandfathered old plans as many of us are on the fall special. (My old Rogers mostly did when I was there - except they used expiring loyalty credits or that i was below plan minimum for discounted phones to get you to move up. But i was happy with Koodo on my other plan.)

However, I too find the pricing a bit odd. 

The LTE pricing has jumped quite a bit & appears to be mostly data as the text/ prov plans dropped slightly. For example: 6G (or 2G/mo) $120 to $180. 12G (or 4G/mo) $180 to $225. 

I enjoy the community & find replies fast but the competitors have other benefits as others have mentioned such as stores to look at phones or chat with rep, call center to talk to live person, more robust website, (not quite so many porting/ new activation issues) and discounts on phones !

Koodo: These prices seem close to Koodo. For example: Koodo pre-paid 1G/mo is <$50 (with -10% autopay) & post paid is $60/mo. Post paid 4G/mo bonus $65 (vs PM at $73). 

Fido: I was with Rogers & that's hard to compare with corp & loyalty plans avail... but have friends on Fido & again the LTE prices appear similar yet has the other things above, plus my freinds often get loyalty discount or plans that reduce price.

3G: 3G is handy for those that don't stream videos or when you exceed a threshold (to give an unlimited type effect) or to be able to offer something cheaper. PM pricing seems to be close to Chatr but I don't have experience with them to comment.

PM: Community. The pre-paid aspect where data runs out & no surprise, although I think the other guys now have to send texts &/or get approvals to go over. 

I guess we will have to wait to see what specials are like. (& hope there's fewer porting/ plan issues)

Pico
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We all have to admit. Cost is the primary reason people would leave the BIG 3 to sign up with Public Mobile.

A lot of customers need and want a phone company with a phone number. 

New customers will reconsider moving over the PM just because of the perceived lack of support convenience.

I have to admit, disappointed with the price increase and my PM community feeling is a little less today.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

edit - nvm

smp99

so the standard plan that most refer to, 90day Prov wide/text/6Gb that used to be $120 is now $180.

That's a 50% increase,  - overnight !

Halfdome
I just switched a friend to public mobile a couple weeks ago and was going to move my wife over as well, but i see with the price increase the sim I ordered will be staying in the drawer for now.

johnb56789

@Anaron wrote:

Great work with the charts, @Someone_here. Can you add a new column for monthly pricing without autopay? It would be greatly appreciated.

@NDesai wrote:
Let's take a deep breath everyone, and enjoy the low price 4g speed for much less and forget about the price increase for now.

No thanks. I'm not gonna bury my head in the sand just because I'm paying $38/month for 4GB at 4G LTE. I was happy to recommend Public Mobile even with their $40/month for 2GB at 4G LTE plan. Now it's $60/month and I can no longer recommend it.

- Agreed, had a freind that was planning on switching, but hesitant, he wanted to be with a carrier that offered him a new cell phone despite the contract. He was looking into buying one outright if the price was worth it, but now, he will most likely go with Fido instead. I was reccommending Public to everyone I saw, now, I will not be. If for just a little more you can get all the benefits of a bigger carrier, why come to Public? (Sure, there are the discounts, but that isn't as enticing if you can get a subsidized phone with more customer service channels for just a little more)

Thanks @Anaron.
Might add the column eventually, but in the meantime you only have to add $2 to the prices you see 😉

Anaron

Great work with the charts, @Someone_here. Can you add a new column for monthly pricing without autopay? It would be greatly appreciated.

@NDesai wrote:
Let's take a deep breath everyone, and enjoy the low price 4g speed for much less and forget about the price increase for now.

No thanks. I'm not gonna bury my head in the sand just because I'm paying $38/month for 4GB at 4G LTE. I was happy to recommend Public Mobile even with their $40/month for 2GB at 4G LTE plan. Now it's $60/month and I can no longer recommend it.

SD08

@Someone_here wrote:

FYI...

Spoiler

@Someone_here

That is some excellent work.  Well done.  (Quoted it so that I get a copy sent to my e-mail.  Robot Happy)

FYI...

Spoiler

Michael77

Hi srlawren,

I totally understand what you are saying.  I just hope Public Mobile understands that people switched because of the price/promotion.  Personally, I was paying only $35 per month. Freedom Mobile even gave me an extra $10 discount ($25 for 6 months) to keep my business. I will have to pay off a very large phone tab too. I took a loss in the hopes of gaining a better network for the price Public Mobile offered me. I really hope Public Mobile does not increase the prices. 

Thanks for your follow up e-mail. 

srlawren

@Michael77 to be absolutely clear:  nobody is saying that a price increase is at all likely in the forseeable future for any existing, grandfathered clients like yourself.  My point was just to make it aware that it's possible.  But neither likely nor expected.  Sorry for any confusion.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77

I guess if Pubic Mobile decided to raise our prices then we would all leave to a different mobile phone company. I left Freedom Mobile for the $40/$38-12gig LTE promotion. I would not have left for anything less. It would be really bad business for them to change the prices on us. It would be like they tricked us to switch to Public Mobile. 

Ottawatech
I'm sure all plan new and old have voice mail and call display include

smp99

Did they take away Call Forwarding on the new plans? There is a blurb that the the new plans include VoiceMail and Call Display. 

Ottawatech
The newer plan now are more expensive then when I signed up one week ago..
So it's hard to get my friends and family to wanna change now that the price on this new promo is much higher

@NDesai
"What would be the point of doing promos if they are going to raise the price anytime"
Hmm, let me think, attracting new customers with cheap prices and then raising prices and hope must people won't bother changing company?

@NDesai
"Made sense for legacy customers as they have access to the call center".
Well, that is the reason they gave. Could have been anything else as well. I don't think "it's making sense", it is just the way they decided to do it and to justify it (and the call center is the same than Koodo, it's probably not costing them much more than extra training for 1-3 employees, so I don't see that being "a good reason" to increase prices. And it is not as if the call center was a new service offered to people and therefore charged more, it was available before at the price they were paying)...
They could say in the future "we are raising prices for people on the last fall promo because they have a lot of data at 4g speed, it make sense since the current plans offer 3g"... I don't think it would make sense either...

srlawren

@NDesai I think we were typing at the same time so you probably hadn't seem my most recent reply.  I get that there was a reason (call centre) for the increase.  What I'm saying is, it's not impossible there could be some other reason in the future.  They are under NO obligation to continue honouring our plans since we are pre-paid and not under contract.  They do so becuase it makes good business sense, but if something changed in the future they could give us I believe 30 days notice and then bump us all up.  If they wanted to.  I'm not saying they will, I'm saying I can't tell you for sure that they can't or won't.  

@srlawren wrote:

@NDesai well, technically it's not impossible for them to raise prices on existing subscribers, and since our contracts are only as long as our current 30/90 days, there's no guarantee that they won't.  But in fact, they have in the past--think of the $3/month price hike for the legacy customers back in April, for example.  

Made sense for legacy customers as they have access to the call center. But, raising price on existing subs, is not a good idea. What would be the point of doing promos if they are going to raise the price anytime? I believe, price raise will likely not happen on 90 days plans. If they for some reason need more $$$, they can always bring more promos or change the current price just like they did today. 

srlawren

@cricketfan no I understand that.  My point was, there's no guarantee your price won't go up even when grandfathered.  And you need go no further than ask legacy customers about it for proof.  Do I think it's likely to happen again anytime soon?--no.  But it is possible so I want to set expectations appropriately and not imply an iron-clad guarantee.  

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That $3 price hike was for them to get off the call center usage. The one's who got the Fall promo or the FM promo are using the same support system as every1 else, infact they are helping out the new comers as well if you look around the community forums. I doubt they will increase but i don't have a crystal ball so 😛

srlawren

@NDesai well, technically it's not impossible for them to raise prices on existing subscribers, and since our contracts are only as long as our current 30/90 days, there's no guarantee that they won't.  But in fact, they have in the past--think of the $3/month price hike for the legacy customers back in April, for example.  

@Ottawatech wrote:
Yeah hope so. They raised the price on 4G like $24 bucks more then when I signed up one week ago.
I'm auto renew so hopefully they won't charge me the new price they are showing now for 12G plans on 4G LTE

Do not worry. As long as you stay on that plan, you will not be charged more than the price you activated with. 

Need Help? Let's chat.