cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any way to track data usage online

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Does Public online has a good data usage tracker?  I logon .. from usage history.. i see it shows both voice and data together.. but they break it into so many lines.. unless I do my math pages of pages, I won't get a view of my usage easily (at least quickly)

do they have a page to show total data usage in the current billing cycle?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

@CalgaryBen Banking transactions are encrypted with SSL/TLS tunnels. Even if someone tried to view the contents, they wouldn't be able to decrypt the tunnel. Only plaintext transactions can be viewed by devices in the middle.

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@kelvarnsen wrote:

I use the My Data Manager app.

A cautionary note to users this and similar apps, particularly on iOS (not sure about Android) -- if you care about security and privacy, don't use these!  By using such an app, which installs a VPN profile onto your device, all your data is essentially proxied through the provider's servers!  While they may truly just analyze amount and path of data, they can also mine your data usage patterns, websites visited, and even collect banking or other sensitive information.  I don't know that they actually do this, but I'd rather not find out the hard way...

I use the Data Manager app and was suspicious using the VPN setting in the app, so I disabled it and use a third party VPN app like Hotspotshield. Not sure if it is any good though.

tyedye00
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I know at least on Samsung I can pull down the notification bar, hold press on the wifi logo and it will bring you to wifi settings. From here I would go back one menu option (to connections) then press on "data usage". Voila!

You can change your billing cycle, set a data warning, and check which apps are using the most data. Smiley Happy

ps. It takes me about 5 seconds to get back to the "Data Usage" screen.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kelvarnsen wrote:

I use the My Data Manager app.

A cautionary note to users this and similar apps, particularly on iOS (not sure about Android) -- if you care about security and privacy, don't use these!  By using such an app, which installs a VPN profile onto your device, all your data is essentially proxied through the provider's servers!  While they may truly just analyze amount and path of data, they can also mine your data usage patterns, websites visited, and even collect banking or other sensitive information.  I don't know that they actually do this, but I'd rather not find out the hard way...

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I use the My Data Manager app. It is nice because you can set it for your 30 day contract term while my phone only shows monthly usage. It doesn't seem 100% accurate compared to my account on the pm site, but it is close enough for me and makes it easy to keep track even from my lock screen.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@softech wrote:

Does Public online has a good data usage tracker?  I logon .. from usage history.. i see it shows both voice and data together.. but they break it into so many lines.. unless I do my math pages of pages, I won't get a view of my usage easily (at least quickly)

thanks

The phone's counter is usually pretty good but it will include MMS usage which doesn't count.  To ensure not accidently using data too fast, you can set up data limit for data to shut off or give warning after you have used a set amount.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

yes go into your account if you set one up and check under data usage @Lieux  got me againSmiley LOL

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@softech wrote:

thanks

Yes you can see your usage of data on the first page of your self-serve account above DATA OPTIONS....If you can see that it's because you have some data left or if nothing is written you don't have data left...sss.png

Need Help? Let's chat.