cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

answering machine

whereiswardo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a way to check messages without using up minutes?

19 REPLIES 19

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I used the method posted by Hgolitly in that thread which is:

Now, dial **61*+11234567890*11*XX# and hit Send, where 11234567890 is the number that you found in step two and XX is the number of seconds you want to wait until voicemail picks up. You can set it in increments of 5, where 30 seconds is the maximum.

I was able to set my time to 15 seconds.

I probably should have posted a link to the post, rather than the thread . . .

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@DOA wrote:

For those of you using YouMail (or forwarding to some other number), Hgolitly's post explains how to adjust the time before an unanswered call is forwarded.

Yeah, the "*946" method on that page is not applicable to Public Mobile, but the additional digits applied to the *61 conditional call forward for unanswered calls is, and can be modified for your regular Public Mobile voicemail too, not just when you use a 3rd party service like YouMail. I previously wrote about this here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Access-Voicemail-Remotely-and-Change-Numb...

1. Dial *#61# to see your current voicemail deposit number and delay time. I believe the default is 25 seconds.
  2. For example, if your voicemail deposit number is 204-588-4001 and you want to set the maximum ring time of 30 seconds, dial *61*2045884001**30#
  3. Verify your setting by again dialing *#61#

You can configure any amount of time from 5 seconds to 30 seconds in 5 second increments.

To access your voicemail without dialing and ringing your phone, check this list of local voicemail access numbers across Canada: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

While you're at it, disable the conditional call forward for blocked and declined calls so they don't go to your voicemail by setting an invalid US number for the *67 code, ie: *67*8080000000# - Good for preventing spam voicemail, and reducing spam calls over time. More about this here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwarding-and-...

DOA

For those of you using YouMail (or forwarding to some other number), Hgolitly's post explains how to adjust the time before an unanswered call is forwarded.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/how-do-I-increase-my-phone-rings-to-5-30sec/m-p/793#M77...

ajkm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think that's what I said, no?

"especially if you're on iOS and have lost the visual voicemail function" i.e. lost the visual voicemail function with an iPhone when moving to PM that doesn't support visual voicemail.

frankysplace

I have also used YouMail visual voice and a free account mail and selected Telus as my carrier when I signed up. I have an unlimited incoming call plan.

DOA

@Nezgar wrote:

@DOA wrote:

Actually, youmail visual voicemail works flawlessly with public mobile.  It's free and an absolute godsend.

+1 for youmail -- Contary to my previous posts about Youmail not working with Public Mobile, I've since succeeded by fiddling with the carrier choices, which provided an alternate conditional forwarding number which now works.

Even without installing the app, I've set it to send an email with the voicemail attachment, and transcribed text, which is pretty slick!

Glad you got it working.

I used Telus as my carrier and it provided a local (BC 250) forwarding number. Can't imagine going back to regular voicemail.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@DOA wrote:

Actually, youmail visual voicemail works flawlessly with public mobile.  It's free and an absolute godsend.

+1 for youmail -- Contary to my previous posts about Youmail not working with Public Mobile, I've since succeeded by fiddling with the carrier choices, which provided an alternate conditional forwarding number which now works.

Even without installing the app, I've set it to send an email with the voicemail attachment, and transcribed text, which is pretty slick!

DOA

@wetcoaster wrote:

@ajkm wrote:

The best option, especially if you're on iOS and have lost the visual voicemail function, is to sign up for YouMail. It's an answering system that also provides text transcription of messages that are left. Unless you need more than 20 messages transcribed a month it is totally free and has an excellent spam call blocker.

Once signed up with YouMail, use the usual numeric options on the phone to set up the system how you want it to behave (immediate pick up or after a number of rings, call forwarding etc).

Public Mobile does not support visual voice mail.

Yes if your plan has unlimited incoming calls, but limited out-going calls, you can dial your own number from another phone to save on minutes while checking your voicemail.

If you have the old $10 plan, then you have limited calling minutes every 30 days.
In this case, call the voicemail number which is for most-local-area-codes + "580-4001"

Fyi this post has the list of voicemail access numbers.

Whenever you use your phone to make calls while in Canada, it will count towards your plan minutes except for:
1. Calls to 611 and I believe also 911.
2. Toll free numbers. Community members have reported that these calls are not counted.
3. Long distance numbers. This requires the appropriate calling add-on.

Fluidmax

@LovesToPM wrote:

@whereiswardo wrote:

Call your number (or PM voicemail number) from another phone.

Voicemail number = area code + 580-4001

This is good information, I always just call my number and dial *. This number could come in handy 

@LovesToPM wrote:

Often, but not always. Sometimes a different overlay area code for the same area, sometimes ending in 4002, etc.

To tell for sure what your local access number is, check what your conditional call forwards are set to by default by dialing any of:

*#61# or *#62# or *#67#

You can call your voicemail from a landline without ringing your cellphone by dialing the resulting number instead. (As well as saving airtime minutes)

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@ajkm wrote:

The best option, especially if you're on iOS and have lost the visual voicemail function, is to sign up for YouMail. 

I tested YouMail last week, and it doesn't work with Public Mobile, at least not with current plans, as the forwarded call lacks the "OCN" when it arrives at YouMail. ("O"riginally "C" alled "N" umber) So their system is unable to tell who's mailbox to associate the call to...

@ajkm wrote:

The best option, especially if you're on iOS and have lost the visual voicemail function, is to sign up for YouMail. It's an answering system that also provides text transcription of messages that are left. Unless you need more than 20 messages transcribed a month it is totally free and has an excellent spam call blocker.

Once signed up with YouMail, use the usual numeric options on the phone to set up the system how you want it to behave (immediate pick up or after a number of rings, call forwarding etc).

Public Mobile does not support visual voice mail.

ajkm

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Access voicemail by calling from a landline and dialing your own number. Follow prompts to access messages.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can also access your voicemail from a landline or any other phone line, by dialing your 10-digit phone number, selecting ‘Send’ or ‘Call’ and then pressing ‘*’ to skip the system greeting.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Call yourself and press * during the voicemail announcement

You will need to setup the password from by calling in from your cellphone so the first time you will need to use about 5 minutes, but after that you can avoid it

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@whereiswardo wrote:

Call your number from landline? 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@whereiswardo wrote:

Call your number (or PM voicemail number) from another phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.